Listening to King Crimson Discipline on vinyl...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ifyouever, Aug 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ifyouever

ifyouever Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm listening to a NM EG pressing of Discipline, and it's blowing my mind. In a very good way. :)

I've had this since I was a kid, and, given it's condition, clearly it didn't get much play in those days. Last night, as an experiment, I tugged out some records from the nether recesses of my collection and was thrilled to come up with this!

It's fascinating to think about the intersection of Fripp, Eno and Talking Heads of the period. Stylistically, this record seems to be the culmination of so much of that. But beyond such thought experiment, the music itself is simply visceral and *brilliant*.

Soundwise, I'm experiencing audiophile pleasure from the EG. How much am I missing by not having a British or Japanese pressing?

More important, how many here love this great album as much as I am quickly growing to do?

latheofheaven, kendo and Steve B like this.
  2. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Love it. Thought you might like to check out my promo vinyl package. Also recommend the follow-ups Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair if you're not familiar with those. :righton:

Attached Files:

3. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Great, great album. So unique and interesting. This and "In the Court" are probably my favorites of their catalog. Absolutely mind-blowing live shows at the time as well.

Regarding your question about vinyl versions: I have the original American and a Japanese vinyl. The Japanese definitely sounds a bit more solid and "audiophile" - esque. Having said that, the American sounds pretty decent too. I'm not sure I would shell out any big bucks for the Japanese (I think I paid $5 for it many years ago).

I've never heard any CD versions of it.

latheofheaven likes this.
  4. ifyouever

Thanks, that's beautiful!

If you have an opportunity over the next couple days, would you mind giving me the deadwax numbers from your promo? I'd love to compare them with what I've got.

5. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

You might find AT/GP in the dead wax of the American LP--it's a George Piros mastering job if so!

6. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

I remember when I first heard Discipline, copy from LP on 3&3/4ips reel to reel (though I can't recall if the tape was BASF or Maxell). Loved it from the beginning. Stick is interesting instrument. I refer to Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair as "dance albums". Of course, they are not.

7. Runt

Runt Senior Member

I'll give it my best shot...

Side 1:
    B-16126-S4 BSK1-3629-S4 @tep + SLM +++ ^912

Side 2:
    B-16127-S1 BSK2-3629-S-1 @tep + SLM + ^912-X

There's also a very tiny circular insignia before each number that I can't quite make out.

8. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

? - The EG IS the British pressing (EGLP 49). Are you sure you don't mean the Warner Bros. edition? The original EG (which sounds pretty spectacular) had the Polydor logo on the bottom and a yellow label design.

9. TomM

TomM Forum Resident

Side 2, late on a Friday night, amps cranked to 11 - musical nirvana. Those lads could play!

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I was never a fan of the trilogy's sound. Bill's drums, although dynamic, never sounded even close to real to me on these albums, although 3 Of A Perfect Pair was slightly better than the previous two. I actually thought something was seriously wrong with the cutting of Discipline when I first heard it (Polydor UK LP yellow label). The CDs never sounded much different IMHO. Compare this to either "Live At Cap D'Adge", "Absent Lovers" or "On Broadway" - all much better sound.

NorthNY Mark and krlpuretone like this.
  11. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

Just guessing here, but maybe the band members were looking for a certain sound to match what was "in their heads", and so they intentionally altered the recording of the drums to achieve that goal?

12. ifyouever

Sorry. Duly noted.

My copy's got both the Warner Bros and the EG insignias on the label. May be, at least in part, a system-dependent experience, but I'm thrilled with the sound of what I've got.

13. ifyouever

As for the drum sound, this was an '80's recording, right? :)

Not that it sound like Missing Persons or anything... And other elements -- soundstage, transparency, imaging, etc. -- are absolutely extraordinary, IMO.

latheofheaven and bleachershane like this.
  14. ifyouever

Thanks a lot!

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Runt; is it just the way the record is lit, or does that promo LP NOT have any bands for the individual songs?

'Cause it's weird if it don't - that ain't hardly radio-friendly.

16. Guardian

Guardian Forum Resident

Am I the only one who isn't amazed by the sound quality on their vinyl copy? I got a Mint - copy and I was not floored by the sound quality. It was okay but not anything to get excited about....

17. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Are you sure that wasn't the real sound of the drums? As I remember from seeing them live, it looked to me like a lot of the drums were actually synth trigger type things. They were arrayed all around him, and he would spin around playing zillions of things continuously.

18. John Buchanan

That is possible - they have never played live in Australia. However, the live albums sound completely different.

19. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

The snare, cymbals, and percussion are real. The Kick and toms are electronic pads. Bruford was a big spokesman for the company that made them, I seem to recall. But nevertheless, that snare crack of his is not missing in action, IMO.

I'm wondering if this was an early digital recording? And is this in the pipeline for a 5.1 mix?

stodgers likes this.
  20. John Buchanan

The cymbals are what concerned me the most - they sound harsh and unnatural.

21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Yes, this is what prompted my question about digital recording.

22. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Yep, it's got the normal track banding for individual songs. I actually haven't played it in many years. Will have to revisit and report back. There was also a promo copy of Beat complete with press booklet, photo, etc., which I stupidly passed up that day at the used record shop. :realmad:

23. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

What do you mean about Talking Heads?

(the fact that Adrian Belew's voice is similar to David Byrnes?)

Listening to the domestic vinyl now, with deadwax similar to the posting earlier...sounds great...even the cymbals. :)

24. ifyouever

I just think that there was aesthetic cross-pollination going on amongst Eno, Fripp, Belew, and Byrne. Their respective musics and ideas were influencing one another.

For example, listen to Remain in Light and then Discipline, back to back. Then listen to I Zimbra and Elephant Talk, back to back.

25. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

Don't forget Phil Collins as well, he worked with both Fripp and Eno.

Frosst likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.