listening to Steve's LP mastering of Saxophone Colossus

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rob macd, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob macd

rob macd The sunshine bores the daylights out of me Thread Starter

Just listened to OJC lp of Saxophone Colossus that has the Steve Hoffman mastering.
    I have one of the cheap Sony PXLX350H turntables w/ stock cartridge, yep the ones that don't keep speed well.
    This one keeps fairly steady on 33rpm.
    Well even on my crappy table this lp comes alive, great bass and dead quiet in regards to surface noise.
    I'm really enjoying this one and will get a copy of his Tenor Madness on OJC.
    I got so lost in the music and it's been so long since I really listened to vinyl that I was wondering why the album was kinda short, then i remembered you have to turn the damn thing over to hear the other songs:laugh:

nice work Steve , even comes through on my ***** turntable

2. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

I'm looking to buy this album, which re-issue would be best? The OJC 180 gram?

I've seen the Blue Note version at a local RS, but it was not a 180 gram, nor was it a Hoffman master.

Thnx in advance!

–R

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Blue Note has never issued "Saxophone Collossus."

The standard-issue $12 Hoffman-mastered OJC is a true bargain.

4. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Sorry, I'll have to re-check which re-issue it is, I looked at a lot of LPs the other day :)

5. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Is there more than one OJC mastering of this fantastic album?

6. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I'm sure there is more than one mastering...

7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Do you mean the DCC LP or did Steve also master the OJC-291 LP?

8. action pact

The current OJC vinyl uses Steve's DCC stampers.

9. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

This thread answered something I've been curious about for awhile now, thanks! I have the OJC 180g copy but I couldn't find Steve's name anywhere in the credits. On Steve's "discography" page it isn't mentioned either. It does sound outstanding.

Are there other OJC LP's out there that are similar to this one? It is a ridiculous value for such a nice LP.

10. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

What does it say in the deadwax?

11. silversurfer

silversurfer Well-Known Member

Great job Steve!

12. action pact

The way to ID it as Steve's mastering is to look at the deadwax. You can see where the pressing plant scratched out the DCC matrix number (along with Steve's initials) so that they could add in the updated OJC matrix number.

13. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I can confirm that there is another OJC pressing that does not use the DCC stampers, because I have it :(

14. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Thanks!

I just checked my copy - there are three rectangles of scratched out something or other on side a (two long, one short) and two rectangles on side b. I can't make out much or anything from the scratched out area.

This OJC copy is probably 1.5 - 2 years old.

I assume that I got lucky and blindly bought the version that I would have picked if I had know about the SH option. bonus!

15. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Oh, the reissue with Steve's mastering was not made to replace or BE the OJC....

Literally just the way they did it through Acoustic Sounds.... It's not an OJC.

16. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

Do I understand correctly - the OJC that I have with the scratched out areas in the deadwax is some form of mastering not from Mr. Hoffman.

The Analogue Productions (and probably the DCC) versions are the ones mastered by Mr. Hoffman.

Do I understand correctly?

17. sami

sami Mono still rules

Just checked mine - lucked out without even realizing it when I bought it on eBay a few months back for $10. :D

18. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

OJV -http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/10549/Sonny_Rollins-Saxophone_Colossus-Vinyl_Record

Analogue productions -http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/10722/Sonny_Rollins-Saxophone_Colossus-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record

Both mastered by Steve.

OJV takes its source from dcc and its $12 compared to the other one that is $25

19. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

OK, I have the $12 OJC with the scratched out deadwax. I didn't buy it from Acoustic Sounds, I got it from my local indie shop. Sounds like I am all good. Thanks for the help!

20. D Schnozzman

Took a punt on a sealed copy of the OJC Saxophone Colossus locally today and it is the one with the crosed-out DCC stampers. :righton:
    Looking forward to spinning it when I get home.

My copy is in a loose-fitting perforated bag, rather than a shrink-wrap, and there's one of those pinky-purpley plastic inner sleeves. Maybe this will aid in identifying sealed copies. I think the other new OJC issues you see around these days are generally shrink-wrapped and have paper inner sleeves.

21. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I hope that your copy brings you as much pleasure as mine has to me.

Let us know if you like the sound :)

22. D Schnozzman

Listening to it now. Holy smokes this is great!

23. action pact

The one I bought last year at Newbury Comics (Fresh Pond Mall, Cambridge, MA) has tight shrink and Steve's mastering. The copy that the store has in stock now has the loose, perfed bag.

24. goldwax

goldwax Rega | Cambridge | Denafrips | Luxman | Dynaudio

Anyone with an interest in jazz--make that in music, generally--should grab this while the gettin's good. Not only is it a great mastering and nicely pressed and packaged, it's one of the greatest albums of all time. Get in!

25. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I'd recommend you get rid of the pink inner sleeve and replace it with a decent quality one. They're great in terms of being very heavy and preventing seam splits, etc. during shipping but over the long haul you'll find that they scuff up and mar the surface of the LP with all kinds of nasty hairline scratches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.