Listening to 'The Jimi Hendrix Concerts' 2 LP set. Brought Tears

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Beave, Jan 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Me too now :)

I'm going home in July haha

2. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Any discussion of The Jimi Hendrix Concerts is always welcome. It's nice to see The Beave and others who really get into this.

I bought the CD in January 1990, and Hendrix has been my favorite musical artist ever since. It was that powerful to me, totally changed how I looked at live music. My CD is treated with the "Sonic Solutions No Noise System," but with the depth and quality of these performances, that barely matters! That following summer, I bought the cassette of Band Of Gypsys, and in my mind that took Jimi to a higher level than I ever thought possible.

In 2013, I bought a used copy of the double-LP, and I love that too. One time when I was sitting down to shred lots of junk mail and other documents, I had this LP playing, and the memory of it was so nice that since then, it's become my go-to music for every time I'm going to be taking time to shred a bunch of mail. Now after I'm done, I listen to the rest of the LPs. Shredding junk mail is now a happy thing instead of being tedious.
    :cheers:

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I had the artwork as my avatar here at one point - And I'd love to have this as a poster in my music room!

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Love it Jim - shred some air guitar, shred some junk mail. :)

JimSpark likes this.
  5. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I was 16 when this album came out. A friend of mine had the album and we use to listen to it all the time. About ten years later or so - a radio station here where I live was tossing all the albums they had (in favor of cds). I ended up getting The Jimi Hendrix Concerts and a few other albums. I still have it. Oh - that version of Are You Experienced is just great.

The Beave likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I love the LP from the first day it was released.

I love the tune up stuff and raps between the songs.

Cowboys are the only 9nes who stay in tune

Tax Free Tax Free

7. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I've been listening to various live Hendrix lately, boots included. Even with the repeats of Purple Haze, Foxey Lady, Hey Joe etc....I find each so darned GREAT !!! Even when he's out of tune or a bit off kilter...his musical personality shines through !

Lemme see....next will be my Paris '67 show that was included in Stages. Then the Fillmore East May 10th 1968 late show that's the only audience boot I have by him but sounds really good. First time he did Hear My Train for an audience I believe. Both have Hey Joe.....

I just listened to all four discs of the Winterland Box Set last week.

I'd love to hear an audience bootleg when he was touring as backup for The Monkees. Preferably recorded by some kid who was there FOR The Monkees and he and his friends reactions ! LOL

JeffMo likes this.
  8. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Luckily, a huge number of Jimi's concerts were recorded by audience members, but there's still many blank spots...his summer '66 gigs in the Village, the Monkees tour indeed, many many jams.

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

If the cd ends with Hear My Train A Comin', you've the Polydor cd. If there's a bonus track (Foxy Lady), you've the 1990 Reprise cd.

10. OnTheRoad

I've got a pretty good variety of soundboard and multitrack recordings...but only that one audience I mentioned. Are there a few very, very good to excellent audience tapes you'd recommend ?

11. OnTheRoad

I've got a French pressing of 'Concerts' that mentions the Sonic Solutions usage...are there ANY cd versions that are without that ? Oh..also my copy doesn't have that cover that is present on the albums...that Orangey cover. Mine is this....with the original painting on the back.

[​IMG]

Oh and my cd doesn't have a silver face...it's black.

[​IMG]

But the link for this French pressing on discogs show this booklet...well...actually digipak. Mine was in a jewel case like my above little picture.

[​IMG]

https://www.discogs.com/Jimi-Hendrix-The-Jimi-Hendrix-Concerts/release/3844501

I wonder if mine if fairly rare ? This one here shows a 1993 date on the disc, and mine is a 1995 one.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    davers and JeffMo like this.
  12. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

There are some priceless May and September '67 Sweden recordings in good sound
    Santa Clara May 25, 1969 - very inspired show in pretty good sound
    The Forum, Los Angeles April 24, 1970 - first show with the Billy Cox line-up of The Experience
    Berlin September 4, 1970 - next to last show, weird atmosphere but some incredible playing and very good sound

But once you start digging you might end up with them all. To be sure, there are some absolutely awful audience tapes.

13. OnTheRoad

yeah...I think I've heard several of those 'awful' sounding ones. Have you heard the May 10, 1968 Fillmore East show I was talking about ? I have a raw copy and a 'remastered' one that has enhanced the frequencies to improve it.

14. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yes, it's pretty good.

15. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Pretty sure I have the Reprise 1990

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Jimi Hendrix Concerts is a good comp of live material, all pro recordings, and great song selection. It's that they drenched the songs in reverb the dulls if for me.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Pulled this out today - great stuff!

MikeInFla and davers like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm probably a Hendrix purist, but anyway the reverb enhances the performances for me. That's similar to what it would have sounded in the halls anyway. A dry board tape is never representative of the in-concert experience.

bonzo59 and UMO like this.
  19. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

Probably coming of age in the early 2000s, and having heard how GREAT Jimi Hendrix was, he always kind've struck me as overrated.
    That was my feeling until I heard Dad's LP of the Jimi Hendrix Concerts I realized how special he was of a performer and an artist. It's just a crash course in what he and the Experience excelled in, better than any other compilation of his I've heard, live or studio.

JeffMo and The Beave like this.
  20. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I still have my original vinyl I purchased direct from WEA in 1982. They will probably not reissue this on CD, so this is why I still have a turntable to listen to great albums like this.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Totally agree!

UMO and DTK like this.
  22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, I didn't say anything about a dry board tape. And no, I doubt you are a purist at all in regards to Hendrix concert mixes either.

I just prefer Hendrix in the West, and Band of Gypsys, and Hear My Train (as it appears on Rainbow) style mixes, most agree they got those right.

23. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Too bad Experience Hendrix couldn`t reissue an expanded Concerts AAA remixed by Kramer.That would at least get most of the remaining pieces out there sounding right.

JeffMo and The Beave like this.
  24. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

Love Jimi's music so much. Would've loved to have seen him live but alas he died when I was still in diapers. BUT I am going to see the EXPERIENCE HENDRIX touring show tonight. Bunch of great guitarists - Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, J Lang, etc.. plus Billy Cox on bass - playing Jimi's music. Should be a great night.

steveharris likes this.
  25. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Sounds like a great show!Let us know!

Nick Drake fan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.