Listening with headphones - WOW! Details!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CCrider92, Jan 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I just setup my first headphone station. Wife complained too much about my speakers.

Wish I did it long ago, cause it is way more satisfying.

Setup is....

Audio Technica AT-LP-1240 Turntable & AT120E Cart/Stylus
    ART DJPRE II Preamp
    Oppo HA-2 Headphone Amp/DAC
    Oppo PM-3 or Audio Technica ATH-M50/LE Headphones

2. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

For the first time I really love to hear my iPod TOUCH hooked up with the BEATS SOLO2 - Even Zappa Live in Chicago 78 or PENTANGLE and David Crosby sound wonderful. Johnny Cash HURT, The Man Comes Around Rose or PersonalJesus gave me goosebumps. I enjoy the sound of these cans more than the half dozen others, some way more priceyI have used or still got.

timind and CCrider92 like this.
  3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't think I've over-analyzed yet, but I have intentionally focused on Gerry Garcia's pedal steel and Jack Casady's bass for 2 examples. I find that fun to do.

timind, kBear and Flyquail56 like this.
  4. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

I set up a dedicated headphone listening station earlier this year.

using an inexpensive headphone amp (Pangea HP201) listening to Flac files from my PC (first time ever, I have used digital files).

I still believe the sound is better from my CDs through my main system, however the headphone rig is very convenient and gets used a lot.

Thinking about upgrading my cans from HD650 to HD800.

timind likes this.
  5. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

If you haven't done so already, make sure that you demo the HD800 (preferably with your own amp) before you purchase them. The HD800 is notoriously picky about which amps it sounds best with. Paired with the wrong amp and it will sound very bright and analytical. The HD650 used to be my main headphone and at that time I heard the HD800 at a Headfi meet and didn't like them at all.

timind and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

I'm looking for new cans. I'm thinking about going with the AT m50x, since it's in the 100-200 range and seems to get pretty good reviews.

7. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Excellent advice; Thank you. My local dealer is an authorized dealer, so he may let me bring a pair home.

Voodoo Child likes this.
  8. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

yep, I have both 650 (modified) and 800(modified).

I need the bass boost from my ifi ican AND the superdupont resonator that tame that 6khz peak to make the hd800 bearable.

the superdupont + hd800 is almost identical to the hd800S from reports ive seen.

Voodoo Child likes this.
  9. CCrider92

Check ebay for Realistic Stereo Custom Pro headphones made by Koss for Radio Shack. Spend the money you saved on new music!

10. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

You can't go wrong. 2nd favorite headphones I own.

Boomy likes this.
  11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

While I'm not doubting that your vintage Realistic Stereo Custom Pro phones are giving you an enjoyable listening experience, I would highly suggest trying some of the more modern flavors like the Sennheiser HD600/650, the AKG K-701/2, or the Grado SR60e/80e/125e/225e. The Realistics may be able to hang with these - and if so, great - but I find it hard to believe the years haven't taken some toll on them. Certainly they can't be as comfortable as the Senn or AKG offerings, I would venture.

I only mention you should try out some of these tried-and-true phones just to see if you're missing something you think that you're not. I had a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-990s back in the early '80s, and didn't think anything could be better (nostalgia and familiarity clouding my impartiality). I picked up the 2005 DT-990s and thought they were much better than my originals which I was still using at the time. Then I tried the AKG's, the Grados, and the Senns, and I haven't used either of my Beyers since.

I had these KOSS HV/XLC around 1980, and loved them - until I got the DT-990s. I would love to try a pair now just to see where they fit into the scheme of things, but mine are long gone.

[​IMG]

Headphone listening is awesome, BTW, so keep enjoying!

12. CCrider92

Thanks for the suggestions and encouragement to explore which I've done in the past but not lately. I don't want to get into a shipping back and forth marathon with online vendors in order to try things out. I live in an isolated area with only one audio store excluding Best Buy which I don't even go into. The Boston area has several shops, but I'm 2 hours minimum from there and perhaps into that area twice a year. I'll check the local store the next time I go by to see what brands they carry and if they'll allow me to take a set home to try.

jriems likes this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I had a similar experience. Found incredible detail with my Monster Turbines IEM's. Heard detail on old music that I never was aware of. Since then I purchased HiFI man IEM's and a pair of their planer headphones. So much detail without being harsh.

As the stereo system improved, it matches the detail of the headphones and IEM's but with the sound coming from the outside of your head.

Now, I find listening with speakers to be much more of a visceral experience, I rarely touch the headphones any more. I really don't seem to like having cans on my head for any extended period of time.

Licorice pizza likes this.
  14. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Could you recommend good ear pads to replace the leather ones?

15. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

I can't remember but someone online mentioned some after market ones on Amazon. Try looking there to see what you find or google search replacement pads for m50's and sure you will come across some threads online.

I have been meaning to get some velour ones, if I find them I will let you know.

Boomy likes this.
  16. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Might be Brainwavz

Boomy likes this.
  17. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Cool. Thanks for your input!

bru87tr likes this.
  18. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Waxfreak is, without a doubt, right, though why anyone would want to listen to a death metal concert is beyond me. :DYou cannot create the soundstage or move enough air for bass with cans. That said, I too find cans to be detail champs. And then there are the neighbor issues. I live on a 1 1/2 acre lot, and a neighbor once told me he could hear my stereo, which I never crank up all that much. Then again, bass waves seem to travel forever. Death metal probably would lose a lot with cans. But a lot of classical and ballad singers do quite well. I am downsizing to a condo, so I soon will have to try my luck with cans. BTW, why the handle Waxfreak?

Licorice pizza and The Pinhead like this.
  19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

So I'm hallucinating, I guess.

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love the apple earbuds :shrug:I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 203 as well. Completely different listening experience. The bass comes alive with the Sennheiser headphones.

21. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The Apple earbuds are OK; clear, anyway, but they keep falling out of my poorly-designed ears. I sometimes listen to my iPhone in bed at night on Sennheiser HD 280s through Soundblaster E1. I'll probably spring for some HD 380s for my "economy" closed cans. I also have two sets of RS 120s which are good enough for TV.

driverdrummer likes this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm really in heaven when I'm walking my dog and I got my iPhone/Headphones near full volume...... :drool:

Sometimes that's the only time I have, to listen to music!

23. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

That's an expression I'm not familiarized with. What does it mean ?

24. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I was always more into headphones than speakers growing up. My mother didn't like me playing loud music, so I'd have to use headphones if I wanted to hear most music. I did have a stereo in my room, a five CD changer/tape deck with the speakers hardwired but detachable from the main body for better stereo placement. I could play stuff on that until about 7 PM, and then my mom would swoop in and it's off to headphones I went. Looking back, I had no idea about the differences in presentation. When I got into higher end audio, I started with headphones because I was comfortable with them. I went through several very quickly before settling on two: The Sennheiser HD650 and the Campfire Audio Andromeda IEM. As I was going on my headphone journey, I came into contact with people with amazing speaker systems, and it opened my eyes to how good and IMO how much more involving speakers can be. Now I prefer speakers in the right conditions. The nice thing about headphones are that they're not room-dependent, you're going to hear them the same in most environments (unless you're at a construction site or something), but I've found that even if I can perceive more minute detail with headphones, the immersive factor of the sound waves traveling through the air and interacting with the room gives me more of a connection to the music than headphones do.

That's not to say headphones are useless, but they are definitely my backup now.

timind and Licorice pizza like this.
  25. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

I love headphones at work and when my wife's asleep. Any other time it's my lounge chair and loud speakers. My living room has a weird design that mimics headphone listening without headphones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.