Literally Insane eBay Seller

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Oatsdad, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

In this case, the only definition of "VG" that matters is eBay's:

"An item that is used but still in very good condition. No damage to the jewel case or item cover, no scuffs, scratches, cracks, or holes. The cover art and liner notes are included. The VHS or DVD box is included. The teeth of disk holder are undamaged. Minimal wear on the exterior of item. No skipping on CD/DVD."

Note that "minimal wear on exterior of item" - "item" meaning the CD here. The CDs both had major scuffs/marks - nothing "minimal" about them.

Both of the guides you posted were from eBay sellers so they're just personal opinions, but even so, the CDs I bought wouldn't qualify as "VG":

First "guide": "On the disc, very light scratches will be visible to the naked eye, but they shouldn't cover more than 10% of the disk's area."

Second "guide": "the disc has only very light scratches,but there may be quite a few of them."

I guess I didn't post a pic of the scuffs/marks on these CDs, so I'll do so now. You tell me if these look "very light" to you:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yep, pictures are a big help here.

So I assume eBay would consider these more a "G" than a "VG", correct? Different than a Goldmine rating on vinyl as VG = not good at all and VG+ = more like what a "G" seems to be for an eBay CD. If that's accurate.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

@Oatsdad those marks are really bad. Looks like someone tried to erase some black marker writing. Damage like that should definitely be mentioned in the ad IMO.

4. Oatsdad

Not sure if the CDs should've been "G" or "Acceptable". Here's eBay's official "Good" designation:

"May have minor damage to jewel case including scuffs or cracks, or to the item cover including scuffs, scratches, or cracks."

And here's "Acceptable":

"An item with obvious and significant wear but is still operational."

Due to the size and intensity of those scratches, I'd lean "Acceptable", especially because the CDs have other marks that I didn't photograph. I could see the case for "Good" - it's tough.

No way they were "Very Good". Seller genuinely seems to believe that a) condition of face/non-playing side irrelevant, and b) as long as CDs play, condition irrelevant.

Or as someone once said, THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE THEY DO PLAY FINE... :laiugh:

5. Oatsdad

Agree. I didn't expect these CDs to be in "collector's condition" - I expected CDs with some wear.

I didn't expect that, though. Those marks went way beyond minimal wear!

eddiel likes this.
  6. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

If the CDs play fine, I'd play 'em. And move on.

7. Oatsdad

Not all of us buy CDs to play. From my OP:

"He said damage didn't matter because CDs played. I told him that as a collector, I want CDs in good shape and these clearly weren't "Very Good"."

dalem5467 and showtaper like this.
  8. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

All work and no play makes CD's do play fine.

Dan

LivingForever likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Impossible to read the "THEY DO PLAY FINE" rant without thinking of "The Shining"! :D

Or this:

Front 242 Addict and nosticker like this.
  10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Yes, it was a very rare exception to the rule. Almost universally here, I've been treated well.

Jrr likes this.
  11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The seller graded these without any reference to Ebay policy. Ebay rightly supported you. The seller sunk his own boat before and after the sale.

Oatsdad likes this.
  12. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I bought a bunch of records from a guy who I'm pretty sure was a drunk. He sure acted like one. At times he'd be totally incoherent. Other times he'd be overly happy. He'd get mad at the drop of the hat, and then push that if we could work out an even bigger deal for more records, everything would be OK. There would be days between his replies, and then would reply multiple times within a couple of hours. All of his actions said alcoholic. He was moody, unreliable, unbelievable and often not of sound mind.

He had a phenomenal list on Discogs, told a great story to back it up, and I bit. I ordered maybe ten titles from his store. My mistake. A big box of records arrived, most of them dramatically overgraded. After going back and forth for a couple of weeks, he sent me "make good" records to cover those that were unplayable. Some of those still weren't good but I just wanted to get away from this guy. Discogs staff could never make him sober. I just wanted to leave him to his hopelessness. I have no time for drunks.

Oatsdad likes this.
  13. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

Not to even try and tell you what to do, but the Seller deserves the Negative Feedback, be brief and 2 point..this will at least Warn others.. which is what the Feedback system is partly for.. Negative and Positive.

14. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Record and CD collecting, just like other second hand bric-a-brac in general, attracts this sort of person ....a bit more than usual.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

You're right - I think I've avoided feedback just because I want to be done with this guy and not have another potential can of worms!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

I would disagree. I agree that collectors can be... unusual, but they're rarely mentally unhinged like this guy.

They may not have the best social skills, but that's a far cry from this sort of nutbag!

And I don't think he's an actual "collector" anyway. He does sell a lot of CDs, but very very few of them would appeal to collectors.

I took a look and saw he mostly sells a lot of light pop - common CDs that he wants way too much money for! $14 for a Susan Boyle CD? :wtf:

He also sells used cell phones, DVDs and toner cartridges.

So he just seems to be someone who sells whatever junk he can find.

He definitely doesn't understand the collector's mindset or else he would've comprehended why CD quality mattered to me...

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

fortunately blocking the number stopped the harassment. ebay won't help; they simply advise you to contact local authorities. that was my next step.

18. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I had this crazy guy who insisted on personally visiting my home after buying a record.I politely declined and he left me negative feedback.I blocked him and began this paypal dispute.
    The only other real problem was this guy selling all of these Doors cds.He bid very high on one of mine and when I shipped his item the following day he then abruptly changed his tone and proceeded to make all of these angry and irrational demands wich his high bid "entitled him to".What a nut.
    He filed a claim wich they sided with me,the seller.He then lied his way through another dispute with me.
    Oh well,hundreds of other transactions went perfect.

Dave and Oatsdad like this.
  19. Dr Hook

Dr Hook Member

Sorry to hear about the neg experience with this so called "ebay seller", i'm just curious was there anything (neg's or neutral comments) in the sellers past sales history to indicate that he might be a bit, errr what's the word....."funny" ??

20. Oatsdad

Surprisingly, no - the guy has 100% positive feedback with 259 ratings!

The vast majority of those were as a buyer, though - he only has 6 ratings as a seller, and only two of those are in the last 6 months.

Really weird account - he currently has 180 items for sale but he's only ever received 6 ratings as a seller? :confused:

One seller wrote "Bad Ebay user, scammer avoid at all cost!" - but still gave him a positive rating! :wtf:

GentleSenator likes this.
  21. Dr Hook

Dr Hook Member

Hmmmmm, sounds like the seller that gave him the + positive feedback after complaining about him being a scammer might have got some of "the similar emails !" he sent to you as well, which might account for is 100% success rate, could be an ongoing thing? because crazy behaviour like that should reflect in his feedback as i'm sure you can't be the only one that endured his wrath.

22. Oatsdad

Actually, I think it is possible I'm the only one who's dealt with the nuttiness because almost all his transactions have been as a buyer, and I think buyers are less prone to bad feedback.

As I mentioned, the nutbag has a bunch of auctions up now, so if those start to sell, it's possible he ends up with more unhappy customers like me.

Though given the high prices he wants for common CDs, he may not sell much!

23. joefont

joefont Senior Member

I've been using a PO Box for the last ten years. Didn't want to take a chance of some nutjob making a visit to my home! Well worth the $86 a year for peace of mind!

GentleSenator likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

I still need to leave feedback for this seller, but I'm not sure what the best blurb to write would be given space/character limitations.

Any suggestions how to convey the scope of this guy's awfulness under such limits - and without sounding like a whiner?

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Remember: If you get personal or sway from facts, he can get the feedback removed. I'd go with something like.

"Items shipped in far worse shape than described. Seller refused return. Had to get eBay involved."​

Something like that. Don't use words like crazy or anything else that could be perceived as opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.