Little Feat - "Waiting For Columbus" MoFi gold CD now shipping

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam2, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Seriously?! :wtf:

Wow, you've been denied a great album. Go get it!

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

My pre-order from Music Direct is supposed to arrive today. I hope this is done well.

3. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

One of the best live albums of all time. Hey Lordy, join the Band.........

4. stever

stever Senior Member

I can't wait to hear it. I've only discovered Sailin' Shoes and Dixie Chicken the last five years or so. Dixie Chicken is now one of my favorite albums -- it prompted me to buy a live set called Electrif Lycanthrope. I can't wait to hear whether Waiting for Columbus is better than Electrif Lyncanthrope.

5. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

When I was 15 I discovered Little Feat buying WFC. I used to listen to the album jumping and sweating like somebody bitten by a funky tarantula. Lowell George became my hero. It felt sooo good because nobody knew them in Italy at the time, so I felt I had to keep my little secret.. I even did grow a little bit of beard, and my biggest purpose was to get as fat as Lowell was. Then...what happens? The guy f*****g dies. In 1980 I went to Zurich to see Led Zeppelin live, and before the show the music from the speakers was Waiting For Columbus (Jimmy Page was a big fan of them). The entire album. I started to dance and sing my favourite songs, Fat Man, Spanish Moon, Mercenary Territory, Chicken, Sailin' Shoes...and every stoned swiss Zepfan was asking me 'hey man, which record is this?'. It's Waiting For Columbus, buddy. Welcome aboard.

6. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of all things funky, and I never got the funk with LF. I hear it, but it doesn't give me that neck-twitching effect that my favorite funk gives. A little too "mannered" for me. Dixie Chicken is the one I bought, as it was suggested as their funkiest, and it had catchy moments, but no "unhinged" funk.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

A little off topic and I hate to tell you this, but even though the MFSL is regarded to be one of the better MFSLs, the original US Warner Bros LP is noticeably tighter and better balanced IMO.

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It's funny how that seems to appeal to some music listeners.
    Transfer of "esoteric knowledge".

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I bought the double LP set the day it came out back in February 1978 and it is a great-sounding vinyl experience.

10. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

Richie Hayward's playing on this album is just 'bout perfect.
    rip Mr. Hayward

11. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Richie Hayward's playing on anything was just about perfect.

Man, how will Little Feat fill that hole? Lowell and Richie supplied what was so unique about the Feat and now they're both gone.

reddyempower likes this.
  12. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

My copy, number 221, arrived today and I just finished listening to both discs. HOLY ****!!! The overall sound is crystal clear and very smooth. The bass is thunderous, yet tight. Maybe best of all, it's highly crankable. I thought I was back at Lisner again....minus the Thai stick and massive quantities of blow, of course. :D

Get your copy while you can.

13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine's here as well. I'll play it in the morning ... unless something gets in the way ...

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Dixie Chicken sounded good as did the first album. Sign me up.

15. kdbrink

kdbrink Forum Resident

You are in for a treat, my friend. This was my introduction to Little Feat back in the late '70's. It was in heavy rotation on my turntable back then, and it still my "go-to" Little Feat record.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's because Doug Sax mastered the original Warner LP...I've heard both. Sax's work wins by a country mile.

17. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

It feels good when you're fifteen

18. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I am sorry to hear that you "bought" the Electrif Lycanthrope set recently.
    Apparently there are still people out there that sell these.
    I bought this too back when it was first released way back when i was 16 years....

Little Feat: the two classic shows they did for WLIR radio at the Ultrasonic studios are available on Archive.org
    1974 show:
    http://www.archive.org/details/lf1974-09-19.flac16

1973 show
    http://www.archive.org/details/lf1974-09-19.flac16

In 1975 Little Feat was a part of the famous Warner Brothers package tour and came to Amsterdam. I still remember the picture in our local newspaper of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards attending the Feat show. Little Feat was by then the most admired band by fellow musicians on the planet.
    Cheers from Holland

19. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

I'd like to know if the MoFi "Waiting for Columbus" is worth buying if you are a casual fan only and if you already own the Deluxe Edition from Rhino (2002).
    How do these two compare soundwise ?
    Please no comments like "the Rhino sounds like pooh against the MoFi" - that does nothing for me:shake:
    Thanks !

20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I remember that feeling. ;)

21. reddyempower

reddyempower Forum Resident

How bout some more reviews/opinions? Mine's not coming til Tues.

Please!!

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Sweet. What a shame they pulled the Dead shows off archive.org.

23. rodstone

rodstone Forum Resident

There are only a few Mofi LPs I've heard that I preferred to a standard pressing (e.g., Hot August Night, Fleetwood Mac s/t). I'm also a big fan of Doug Sax. But I have a Mofi LP of this that I prefer to the Doug Sax first pressing I have. The low end is better on my Mofi LP, which to me really suits the music on this LP. Just my opinion.

24. So additional opininons about the sound quality of the CD reissue of this album on Mofi?

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Played disc one and this is easily the best version of WAITING FOR COLUMBUS out there. Crisp and clear with a real nice bottom end. Well done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.