Little Feat - "Waiting For Columbus" MoFi gold CD now shipping

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam2, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Any reason that CD Universe is not listing this?:cheers:

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Have to be patient if you want to go the discount route. It's not listed at Amazon or DVDPacific either. But it will be eventually.

3. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This is one of MOFI's best gold jobs ever. WAITING FOR COLUMBUS has never sounded better.

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Better than the vinyl?

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I haven't compared the MOFI Gold CD to my original U.S. Warner Bros. vinyl ... so you got me there. :eek:

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks.

7. agentalbert

Not related to Little Feat, but was Doug Sax sometimes credited as Doug Sachs? I was playing an old LP yesterday (can't even remember which one) and noticed a mastering credit for Doug Sachs.

8. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Really?? I have the new Mofi Gold disc, and although it sounds great... I, personally, wouldn't go as far as saying that out of the few hundred Gold CDs Mofi has ever produced this is the best EVER. Just sayin...

9. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yes, I've seen that before too. I've also seen Greg Calbi's name spelled a number of different ways. I'm guessing proofreading of liner notes was not a high priority back in the day (or now for that matter) :)

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Who By Numbers comes to mind.

11. agentalbert

That was it!

12. DVDRowe

DVDRowe Forum Resident

Does anyone know if there are plans for MoFi to do Last Record Album (my personal favorite among their studio recordings)...?

13. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I hope so.

14. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Currently playing the second gold disc in this great set. This is how this album should sound! This is a great edition of a great double live album - I bought the original Warner Bros. double LP set at E.J. Korvette (remember them? $2.99 LP specials on Sundays!) the day it was released back in February 1978 ... anyway, this MFSL gold disc set is the version.

15. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I'm glad the CD sounds fabulous and all, and I will probably buy one, but none of the stores around here have this one...

My real question is- Where the H E double-hockeystick is the LP??? I've had it on pre-order since day one. The latest Music Direct catalog I got in the mail last week no longer lists it as coming soon... I want my Columbus!!!

Chris

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I spent a year working in the camera department of the Port Chester Korvettes. After which I decided there was a purpose in getting a college degree :D

17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I didn't see a direct response to the question of how the MOFI CD sounds in direct comparison to the 2002 Rhino remaster, which was a huge improvement over the original CD and really sounds great. This is one of my favorite recordings ever, but the Rhino sounds good enough that the MOFI will have to be a significant improvement for me to buy it.

I know the MOFI CD sounds great, by all accounts I've read. But so does the Rhino. Soooo, how do these two actually stack up when compared side by side?

18. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

WFC is one of my favorite albums, and to my ears, the MoFi beats all previous CDs, including the Rhino. It was worth the upgrade to me, if that helps. The same goes for all the MoFi Little Feat CDs.

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

The MoFi is much better.

20. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Well, there I have it. Looks like I have to get the MOFI.

21. yogibear

yogibear Active Member

as i understand the recording of this album, Lowell George wasn't really excited that much by the direction the band wanted to go to. Longer jams and jazzy and extended rock fusion was what they wanted to do. George didn't really want to do this. the previous album only had him playing sporadically and he only wrote one song on it. his addiction and interest didn't seem in sync with the rest of little feat.

22. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

None of which diminishes the quality of WFC. A masterwork like this from a band in Little Feat's situation at that time is still pretty amazing. The new MoFi really does it justice.

23. afriqueart

afriqueart Forum Resident

If I was being sequestered to a desert island, this is the one record I would have to take with me. Amazing in 78 and it still astounds me in 2011. Superb!

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I have a friend who loved the Rhino, but he is raving to me on how the Mofi slays the Rhino unquestionably. I haven't heard him rave about a mofi like this in at least a year.

25. afriqueart

afriqueart Forum Resident

Original LP. Mix is great.
    MFSL LP. More bottom end. a bit brighter and more separation than the original LP (IMO).
    Initial single CD release with 2 songs missing. Whoever did this should be shot!
    Rhino double CD. Outstanding! A bit bright and might be hard on the ears after extended playing at high volume. Love the additional songs and the track order but....the original sequence is (to me) how it should be heard.
    MFSL CD. Better bottom end than the Rhino. Almost sounds a little muddy but I believe this is my favorite.

To be honest, I'd settle for a scratchy, worn out 45 of Fat Man In The Bathtub with a nickel on the stylus if it's all I had access to.

The MOFI CD on a Nakamichi Cd player, Denon amps and a 60 year old pair of JBL 38s cranked LOUD still gets my blood pumping after "Hey Lawdy!" Did I mention that this should be played LOUD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.