Little-known "audiophile" albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JakeLA, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member Thread Starter

Thought it might be interesting to hear about those great-sounding albums that aren't on the TAS list or whatever. Just records that you think sound great. In memory of Gus Dudgeon I'm tempted to mention Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but maybe something newer might be in order. (Everyone knows those 70s Elton records sound great.) So I'll nominate the CD "A Short Album About Love" by the British group The Divine Comedy. If you haven't heard TDC, it's basically a guy named Neil Hannon and a bunch of hired hands. Sounds like Neil Diamond meets Scott Walker. And this particular album was recorded live, with orchestra, at a theater in London -- though it's not a "live" album in the sense that it's not a concert recording and there's no audience. It does, however, have a nice hall ambience, which is pretty rare for a contemporary pop album.

In fact, the only other "live" pop albums I can think of these days are the last few Frank Black albums, which are all recorded live in the studio.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I've always had a fondness for early Rick Wakeman. I had Journey to the Center of the Earth, IMO an amazing live album - by the time it's finished, you are startled by the audience applause ~ then you realize it is live!

I bought the MFSL gold disc and it was leaps and bounds beyond my stock copy.

Then, hearing the good rep. of the early MFSL silver discs, I bought one of those.

It was leaps and bounds above the gold disc!!

So, I submit to the forum, that although "Journey to..." is a famous album, the little known - and cheaper - silver MFSL disc beats all!

Hope this meets your criteria, Jake!!!

3. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

I'd second Gary's comments on Journey to the.... I read one of Dave's posts where he suggested the Silver was a worthwhile improvement and that sparked my interest - one visit to ebay later and it was well worth the trip :D

It may be because I am off my head but I think that Simple Minds - Street Fighting Years has an appealing sound.

All the best - Andrew

4. KLM

KLM Senior Member

One cd that I use to audition audio systems is Edie Brickell's "Ghost Of A Dog." It's a standard cd but recorded very well. In fact the title track was recorded outside and you can hear some rain in the background. I think the music is very good and the sonics are outstanding. Highly recommended...

Jack_Straw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.