Little Richard: MFSL Little Richard Mono SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pmckeeaalaska, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bought this album along with several other MFSL releases since I didnt own any of Little Richards albums and thought it would be a good introduction (the disc has his first two albums). I must say that although I like the music within and can definately see why he was such a big influence on bands like the Beatles, I dont understand MFSL's decision to release such old material on SACD. The quality of the original recording is so poor that I feel it distracts me from the music itself. There is such a thing as "too revealing". Strange choice to go with SACD in my opinion.

Anyone else have this SACD? Thoughts?

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I totally disagree. One of the very finest Mobile Fidelity releases/masterings I've heard. They did an amazing job with it. Incredible presence. It kicks...

Max2max, goodiesguy and CBackley like this.
  3. pmckeeaalaska

Huh, well. Maybe I should listen to it some more. The above post was my first impression. I'll put it in now!

4. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

If the original LPs are accurate, this is probably pretty punchy and loud. It's supposed to be.

5. pmckeeaalaska

OK...well, now that I'm listening to it again, it is indeed better than my first impression. I think the thing that is missing for me is a bottom end, though this is probably normal for this era of recordings. LR's voice is really clear and detailed however. I guess I'm still a little curious as to why MFSL chose to make this an SACD release rather than say a regular gold CD. Any ideas? Perhaps they felt the higher resoultion would bring out details that have been missing on previous versions??

I am actually enjoying his loud vocals. They're a bit distorted in parts but again, that's probably just the era in which the recording was made. He could really belt it out. What a voice!!

6. From what has been made public, the choice of format is often dictated by the original rights' holder to MFSL. As an example, Warner was very strident at one point that none of their artists were to be released on SACD.

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Totally agree here about the SACD - superb. The only time I heard it sound better was a vinyl test pressing at an audio show on a $50k system..

8. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Totally agree here about the SACD - superb. The only time I heard it sound better was a MOFI vinyl test pressing at an audio show on a $50k system..

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

One of my favorite MFSL SACDs.

10. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Same here. I think it's great that MFSL chose to put out this on SACD to maximize the sound quality. The term "classic rock" is used WAY too much- this is the real deal, the DNA of what was to come.

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Awesome disc. I wish they would do more like this.

12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I totally agree. This SACD is superb. It is demo quality for what SACD can sound like. :righton:

13. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

I wish I had this. I tried one at eBay but lost the auction (it ended like 2 in the morning for me, so I was outbid while I slept), then there was one for sale in the classifieds but the seller would only take PayPal's bank transfers (I only use credit cards on PayPal).

Will keep trying!

14. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I purchased this on the advice of other forum members, and I was extremely pleased with it! It sounds phenomenal on my SACD system!

Frank R.

15. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

A fine compilation.

16. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Is this out of print now?

17. Bill

Bill Senior Member

18. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I'll second this opinion. MFSL got this disc right, and it sounds amazing.

19. maxheadroom

maxheadroom Senior Member

Too bad MusicDirect only ships int'l via FedEx, I'd probably end up paying more than a hundred bucks for a single SACD.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

:righton: Now you're talking!

I will admit that when MFSL did this one, it kind of threw me, especially since, outside of Elvis, Ritchie Valens and The Everly Brothers, not much from this glorious era, has seen an "audiophile" type of release. I don't really count Steve's regular CD's like Buddy Holly and Bill Haley, as official "audiophile" type reissues, even though they are great.

Let's have some more, before it's too late and no one cares (which, may be sooner than we think, as my local "oldies" radio station recently stopped playing most of the '50's and are now playing mostly late '60's, 70's and as of late, are actually fooling around with a few '80's era tracks these days, which both my wife and I are listeners that are going, going, g...)

Chris C

22. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Get it, get it, get it! The only "dry" mastering of this material available. All the other reissues that have garnered praise here are pretty "wet."

Max2max likes this.
  23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

One of my favorites. It's cliche, but this puts Richard "in the room"...

24. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

What is the EQ like on the MFSL disc? How does it compare with the Bob Jones mastered comp on Ace?

25. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I just got this disc and really enjoy it. I was inspired after hearing "Keep a Knockin" not once, but TWICE, the previous weekend. I haven't had a chance to listen critially yet tho.

I noticed on ebay and Amazon that this disc is typically going for $50+, with some prices as high as $79 and $129. My initial thoughts was "Oh, no, it's gone out of print and I didn't get it yet" and I felt that sinking feeling in my stomach. That's what happened with the AF Bad Company release. It may be available at other places too but Mobile Fidelity still has the Little Richard disc in stock for $29.99. I had it within 3 days of ordering too. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.