Live action Dumbo film from Disney (2019)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Pumphrey, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I disagree, for multiple generations this will be a new movie. The original was released in 1941!! Whether this version will be a straight up remake remains to be seen.

Wiki:
    Despite the advent of World War II, Dumbo was still the most financially successful Disney film of the 1940s. After its October 23 release, Dumbo proved to be a financial miracle compared to other Disney films. The simple film only cost $950,000 (equivalent to $15,810,000 in 2017) to produce,[2] half the cost of Snow White, less than a third of the cost of Pinocchio, and certainly less than the expensive Fantasia. Dumbo eventually grossed $1.6 million (equivalent to $26,620,000 in 2017) during its original release; it and Snow White were the only two pre-1943 Disney features to turn a profit.[3] The film was re-released in theaters in 1949, 1959, 1972, and 1976.

MikaelaArsenault and Dan C like this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

yea, when I watched the Disney bio on PBS I was shocked by the facts above. I thought it was only moderately successful, but the show made it clear it gave Walt a big shot in the arm

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Cast looks good. The drug trip scene is probably going to be just as terrifying this time around.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that the Crows do not make an appearance in the trailer. :sigh:

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Maybe kids will like it but I'll stick with the original animated classic...

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Operation Dumbo II Drop

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Wow, somebody else remembers that movie?

MikaelaArsenault and longdist01 like this.
  9. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Why Disney, why?

longdist01 likes this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I don't really get much of that Burton feel from the trailer but still, it has my attention.

12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I know it's racist but I loved the scene as an ignorant kid and it's a great song. I wonder if they will try to resuscitate it somehow without the racial inferences.

I'm a huge fan of the original and not terribly interested in this though I am intrigued by what Burton might do with the Pink Elephants sequence.

But where the hell is Timothy?!?!

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  13. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Does he have scissor hands in the new version

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
  14. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

Tim Burton hasn't done a good movie in many years now.

15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Not at all a movie that would interest me, except that trailer promises a movie that's dramatically and visually exciting.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I hope it's a little more culturally-aware than the 20th Century version...and a lot more scary.

Our local arts cinema screened a documentary a few weeks ago, which I did not see, but my wife did. It was about elephants in captivity, and cavelier way we press them into service, both in circus/carnival/zoo environs, and in their home countries.
    PAY ATTENTION TO THIS - YOU HAVE PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF THIS BEFORE, THIS WILL BE NEW AND SHOCKING INFORMATION, FEEL FREE TO CHECK MY MATH:

Elephants are some of the most cerebral, and emotional creatures on the planet, not necessarily known for their gentleness, but relatively benign in their own environs. And, through no actions of their own, are being systematically eliminated from the Earth. On the motivation of profit. Mor eaccurate term, "greed". And "ambivalence".

Do you know what is done to these animals when caught in their own lands?

They use something called a "spirit box". And its' purpose, is literally, to break the animal's spirit. small wooden cages, little room to move. The elephants are marched in...and beaten. Hit. Swatted. Bombarded with noise and pain, unable to even turn away from the stimulus. Defenseless, pointlessly terrotized, and hurt. Over and over. For days. As I said, in an (apparently successful) attempt to break the spirits of these magnificent, empathetic creatures. The film shows them emerging docile, cowed, emotionless to the point of even rejecting their own young.

By "people" we are naturally desposed to call "humans". Who have somehow developed and "perfected" these treatments to their satisfaction, and "justified" such practices as "proper procedure".

This is the only part of the information my wife shared with me, I retained. And will never forget. I was horrified. I'm a "dog person", but have never shied away from any animal that didn't appear to mean me any harm. I was scarred just hearing about my wife's description, to the point I can't look at an elephant ever now, certainly not in the eye.

The term comes to mind (from a movie): "Koyaanisquatsi"

"Life out of balance".

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

That's all interesting, important, and very sad but let's stick to the topic before this thread gets spirit boxed.

18. the pope ondine

mars attacks for me

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

His new version of Dumbo can't possibly be worse than Dark Shadows. :eek:

20. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I'm a dedicated life-long Disney enthusiast and I just don't get the live action remakes. The magic and wonderment of the Disney classics is due in large part to the fantastic animation. Eliminating that just makes no sense to me. How 'bout we get a bunch of people to dress like Jesus & his disciples and pose for a picture that looks like the Last Supper? It sort of misses the point.:shake:

21. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I guess from the movie studio /point of view/business perspective;
    Dumbo obviously is a multi-generational branded character.
    Reknown by name and image.
    Many parents (who were raised upon the beloved animation) will go see the new movie.
    They will go with the spouse, or significant other.
    Depending on the rating, they will take the kids.
    Bring the grandparents, who took them way back when.
    That’s all ticket sales. $$$

Then they’ll want to see the old animation feature.
    Disney may release a BluRay/ Hi Def version - as cross marketing. More $$$

Besides the SuperHero Genre, the move studios rely heavily on Brand Recognition to garner strong ticket sales. Especially Worldwide .

For every million people that are already familiar with a character, there’s an ___ % that will automatically see the new movie.
    (Even if just once, even it’s a critical bomb.)
    That’s sure money,
    More than a new movie about an unfamiliar character.

That recognizability is a helpful factor to get a movie green-lighted for production.

I always envision the older animated feature as the modern-day “storyboard” for the director and crew.
    (See: Beauty and the Beast)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  22. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I think it's probably OK to attempt a live action remake of an animated movie that is 77 YEARS OLD.

Relax, people.

23. the pope ondine

will they try to shoehorn a more pc version of the crows song? sung by a different bird/animal? I mean its one of the trademark songs
    ps I no have interest in seeing this (tim burtonized kids movies do literally nothing for me) but now I must see the original again

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You're missing the point.

Do we need a dubstep remake of Sgt Peppers, a 50-year old album? No. Can it possibly be close to rivalling the original? Not a chance whatsoever in any universe. So why bother when the time, money, and energy could've been used to release something else?

A big slap in the face to the fans who liked the original. What's next? Disney hiring Michael Bay to remake the original Star Wars movie? Yikes.

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

any of our modern forms of entertainment? No, not particularly.

As always, the entertainment business is not about "need", it's about "want", and the presumption that nobody would "want" to watch a 77 year old movie is what drives these things.

Now in the case of Disney, I think there's enough timelessness built in that it's not nearly as big a concern as those in charge would want us to think, but welcome to futureproofing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.