Live action Dumbo film from Disney (2019)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Pumphrey, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

"Futureoroofing" I guess is code for those who believe something is better just because it's newer.

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I went to see "Solo" the other day with my son and there was a trailer for 'The Jungle Book." All I could say was: "Another? Didn't they just make one?"

It's looks just like the last live action version complete with female snake.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Been happening since the first generation of kids born after black'n'white tv/movies.

Congratulations, you're getting old! :D

MikaelaArsenault and stereoptic like this.
  4. Strat-Mangler

Nah. I can simply recognize the superior content with overwhelming ease, even when only having sampled one of the two. :cool:

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Don't tell anyone how it ends!

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Agreed that Dark Shadows was a mess, but he has made Frankenweenie, Big Eyes, and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children since then, all of which I would characterize as "good".

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Excellent! What media should I consume today, O Arbiter of Good Taste?

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Between the live action and proven classic that has endured the test of time? That's a pretty easy one. :)

MikaelaArsenault and seed_drill like this.
  9. Tom Perry

Tom Perry Senior Member

Original vs. modern Polynesian Village Resort lobby

Original:

[​IMG]

Modern:

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And the new trailer just hit today. I'm generally against live-action remakes of classic Disney cartoons, but I have to admit, this one looks really fantastic:

I wouldn't expect anything less from director Tim Burton, whose films often have a unique (albeit dark) look and a lot of style.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  11. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Dumbo was one of my favorite Disney films when I was little. I watched it over and over again. I think it is one of the most tender and beautiful of all of Disney's films and one that can still make me cry (the 'Baby Mine' sequence makes me well up just thinking about it). I think this live action version looks very good. A good filmmaker plus several actors I trust plus a good story. The addition of the children to the story also means the story will be more than just a straight copy+paste of the original. I'm very much looking forward to it.

In general, I want to be cynical about the live action Disney remakes but I quite enjoyed both Cinderella and The Jungle Book. I didn't like the Beauty and the Beast remake at all (but the original is my top favorite Disney film). Still, one of these every two months next year from March through July does feel like they are milking it...

MikaelaArsenault, Vidiot and forthlin like this.
  12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Looks creepy and off putting to me. I will stick with the sublime cartoon version. If it's good enough for General Stilwell, it's good enough for me. :p

13. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

In general I think most of Tim Burton's stuff is like that, comes off as grotesque. This one may not be as creepy as some of the others (Alice) but the original is nearly perfect. Making live versions of Disney animated classics is sort of like doing an animated version of Citizen Kane.

14. Looks great but I hate when they show you the entire story.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, at this point, who hasn't seen the original 1942 cartoon feature Dumbo? There's still enough surprises (and new characters) that the movie is "somewhat" different.

MikaelaArsenault and Mazzy like this.
  16. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

At least r a Buritn flcik they're not using another creepoid, unsymphatetic JACK SKELLINGTON voiced by Johnny Depp YES I KNOW he's not the Skeleton voice, but nice DUmbo. But Disney's 68-minute 1941 classic will do just fine.,

17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

I wish they still re-released the older Disney classics in theaters. I suppose home video killed that off. Seeing films like Fantasia in a theatre is something everybody should experience.

MikaelaArsenault and YardByrd like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would pay cold hard cash to see that. "Sing-Sing, Gettys! SIIIIIIIIING-SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!"

MikaelaArsenault and forthlin like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And just to update this thread, I saw a funny meme that pokes fun at the number of Disney retreads coming out this year...

[​IMG]

The Hud and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I dig Keaton's wig

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

New trailer dropped over the weekend...

Looks like Disney is gonna flog this thing pretty hard...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Actually I've seen little advertising for this on TV which sort of confirms what the critics are saying.

25. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.