Live AID: At the time, did you think Queen stole the show?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert Thread Starter

I was always a big Queen fan, so I was glued to my tv waiting for them to come on. When they took the stage, I thought it was a decent show. It wasn't part of a long tour, so Mercury's voice was in good form, nor even a full concert, so he had physical energy to spare and they could just do their biggest and/or more recent hits which packed a big punch into a short time. So by their standards, yeah, it was a good show.

I just read Doctor Who's Jodie Whitaker taking the stage at some convention and calling it her 'Wembley moment' and I couldn't help thinking how the movie, especially with all its revisions to the facts, has elevated this show to the point where it's now become a metaphor for popular success and even a sort of conquest.

I liked the show and probably even like it more now as the years have passed. I'll probably say they were even among the best (though I've not watched the rest of the event since that day while I've watched their set several times). It was my favourite segment by far because they were my favourite rock artist. But stole the show? No, I wasn't thinking that.

(Of course, there are rumours all day that there would be some kind of Beatles reunion at the end: either the three of them or with Julian Lennon. That certainly distracted from anything else that was happening.)

sleepjar, Randoms, Tom Wabe and 10 others like this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

There were a lot of great performances that day. Queen were definitely one of the best, with U2 coming up very close.

3. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I remember really liking the Queen performance but I thought that U2 had stolen the show back then.

4. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

They did. Absolutely.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

No. I wasn't into Queen at the time and their performance didn't change my mind.

I cared more about Bowie and the Who and McCartney and some of the others...

6. Oatsdad

I really think this was a pretty common thought at the time, mainly because U2 were so much less well-known. Queen impressed people but much of the audience already knew what to expect, whereas U2 were still on the rise at the time, so a lot of the audience hadn't ever seen them.

While Queen was very well-received in 1985, I think the legend has grown over the years - I don't think contemporary reports viewed Queen as the champions of the day circa 1985...

7. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

It was all about the return of The Who for me that day. It sure was a train wreck and when the power went out....the TV almost went out the window. :realmad:

slipkid, guppy270, WhoTapes1 and 18 others like this.
  8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I remember Queen and U2 stealing the show at the time, with nobody else coming close, but I was only 11 years old and they were two of my favourite bands.

Even as a kid I thought the US Live Aid looked and sounded awful compared to Wembley. I've never changed my mind. I remember Bryan Adams set having loads of interference (I liked him then too), The Who cutting out almost as soon as they'd started and thinking Jimmy Page looked weird. I liked Led Zeppelin through my Dad playing their records, but I'd never seen them.

I have the first six hours of Live Aid on DVD in excellent quality from a first generation VHS, as broadcast on BBC with no editing.

guppy270, Randoms, Greg Gee and 8 others like this.
  10. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

They slayed that day.

Queen’s “crowning” moment. Only U2 came close. But not close enough.

11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Yes, know other band was even close!

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

And I thought U2s set was just alright

danielbravo and Jarleboy like this.
  13. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

This was my recollection as well.

Greg Gee and Eric_Generic like this.
  14. Timmy84

Timmy84 Forum Resident

Reading on how things went down that day since I was just a year old when Live Aid took place, Queen and U2 got the big headlines from the show. I think U2 performed at the stage in Philly (I'm not too sure) when they did their show-stopping performance.

But I think a lot of big name rock stars gave big performances that day:

Madonna
    Tina Turner and Mick Jagger
    Patti LaBelle was another showstopper. I mean at one point, she was singing Bob Dylan's "Forever Young" and decided to drop the microphone and still sing and people could still hear her!!! Shows you how powerful a singer she is (she also began outsinging everyone else at the end when they came together to do "We Are the World" :laugh:).
    Phil Collins did the transatlantic thing performing in London and Philadelphia, which was probably the start of the "oh Lord this Phil Collins is a p***k" stuff lol
    George Michael debuted his new "butch" look (predating the Faith years) while performing with Elton John
    Hometown hero Teddy Pendergrass performed for the first time since his 1982 accident and sang with Ashford & Simpson
    Sade had their breakthrough performance there
    Robert Plant and Jimmy Page reunited with Phil drumming with them (not sure if John Paul Jones was with them or not)
    David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks performed with Hall and Oates

----

So, there were a lot of huge performances that day.

However, nowadays, people would think U2's performance was not as big as Queen's.

guppy270, Greg Gee, dayday and 3 others like this.
  15. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I wasn't a Queen fan but they totally took me aback. They were top notch. U2 was good but no Queen. A lot of bands can make a good record but on stage is what counts. Are you listening Beatles fans?

Greg Gee, keyXVII, veloso2 and 3 others like this.
  16. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Nah, the event was a snoozfest. Wasnt into any band that day.

17. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Just alright? I thought they played Bad. ;)

18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

19. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Yo,

It's also well known that Queen's sound engineer set the limiters on the front-of-house speakers much louder, thereby causing more of the crowd to move their asses lol !

Most artists that were interviewed back-stage during the event were suggestive of Queens excellent performance, so perhaps the "stigma" of stealing-the-show actually comes from other artists that were there, rather than the crowd.

Lots of great performances however, but this one also gave Queen a burst of much needed new energy, that revitalized their career.

Ciao,

Gregster

20. Oatsdad

U2 appeared in London...

Timmy84, alan967tiger and Drifter like this.
  21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

no, there were so many bands and performances......I thought they were good and the crowd was into it for sure but def didn't steal the show....but I guess it comes down to how much u like them s well

PhoffiFozz and frightwigwam like this.
  22. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

It’s a great question. It was a magical day. Such a great cause. So many huge artists.

Led Zeppelin
    Paul McCartney
    David Bowie
    Bryan Ferry w David Gilmour
    The Who
    Mick Jagger
    Bob Dylan w Keith and Ronnie
    Dire Straits w Sting
    and so many others already mentioned

and

U2 and Queen were pretty clearly, and rightfully, the stars of the show.

23. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

Yes

Greg Gee likes this.
  24. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Yes!!!

And it took me totally by surprise.

Randoms, Greg Gee and veloso2 like this.
  25. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Queen totally stole it, then U2 with. BAD what a performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.