Live Aid coming to DVD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobo U2, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member Thread Starter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3543059.stm

I was at the London show...Amazing day!!! My favs were The Rats, Ultravox, Nic Kershaw, U2, Dire Straits and Bowie/Thomas Dolby. When Queen played Radio Ga-Ga the crowd(70,000+) did that Hand/arm thing and not seeing it before was a sight to see.
    I thought the Who was the weakest band that day/night. I do remember Pete falling on his ass during the set . I hope it is the complete show but if it isn't I will always have the memories...

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Great news! I was at the Philadelphia show (Reechie, you were there too, right?) on an incredibly hot Saturday. We spent the day about 30 feet from the stage and it is one of the best days I've ever had. I am really looking forward to reliving some of those moments.

It's interesting that one week after news about Bob busting the bootleggers, we have news of an official release. Finally! Thanks for the info. :)

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

A bit of doubt there, maybe? Makes me wonder if a couple of the more egotistical artists might not want to be a part of it.

For years I've been trying to find someone who might have taped the whole thing. If this set happens, I'm definitely going to buy it. :thumbsup:

4. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I taped the whole thing - crazy nut that I am. In order to tape it and still have a life that day, I taped it at SLP on the best VHS tape I could buy at the time - that way I could leave the house for a few hours while it still taped.

I have watched pieces of it over the years - but I don't believe I re-watched the whole thing.

If it comes out on DVD I will probably buy it, since it will have better picture and sound (even though mine is in Hi-Fi stereo) - and you will be able to instantly access whatever act you might want to see.

5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I will buy this in heartbeat. EVERY ARTIST & RECORD COMPANY should allow their performances to be put on the DVD since it's going charity.

6. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I NEVER understood why none of this made it onto LP or CD! I'm sure it had everything to do w/licensing issues, but I would have loved to had some of it on disc a long time ago...

7. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Indeed I was, and I'm glad to finally see an actual release, I've never had a tape of it. I think I've only seen it once, a couple of weeks after the fact, one of my cousins had much of it taped.

8. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

Amazing! I remember watching The Concert for New York in October of 2001 and thinking that The Who stole the show...from Mick & Keif and McCartney. I didn't get to see Live Aid. I was literally digging ditches that day, but i sure would enjoy watching a DVD of it. Great news, Bob. Thanks for broadcasting it.

9. -=Rudy=-

I managed to catch the morning portion from Wembley on local TV, which was simulcast over FM. Funny--when the TV station broke for a commercial, the sound, coming from the simulcast, continues on the tape. I got the evening three-hour closer with Dick Clark, which naturally began with the tail end of Led Zep's set. :sigh:

I even tried to get the cable by tying into my neighbor's cable outside the house, but didn't get it to work. ;)

10. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Me Too!!

Except, I didn't have a life. I was glued to the TV for the whole day. I have watched the whole thing all the way through (a little at at time). I watched some of my faves over and over: Zepp, Black Sabbath, Duran Duran.

Can't wait for the DVD!

11. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I taped it on VHS and simultaneously recorded the audio. It worked in most parts, in other parts it got AFU, but the VCR at the time let me record the TV sound on the analog track and the FM simulcast on the HiFi track! Still have those tapes!

Would love to have a DVD set. "Does anyone here remember laughter?"

12. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

I taped the majority of it on cassette from the radio feed while watching on TV ( I didn't own a VCR at the time)... Unfortunately I missed the opening with Status Quo..... and some the acts were on stage the same time so I missed some that way. I also had some "technical difficulties", like running out of tape near the end of U2's Bad.

13. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Mike: I have it on decrepitly old VHS tape, too. It's very fuzzy and some it has the sound cutting out. Somehow, I doubt everyone will be on the DVD, but, boy, wouldn't it be great if they are were on there, somehow.

14. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I have a couple of the acts on VHS. I have been waiting for this for years. Hopefully this will come out without issues.

15. KBanya

KBanya Active Member

It's about time!!

I too spent a day recording/taping it in slp mode. Still play it occasionally.

16. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

IIRC there were no contracts (certainly for Wembley).

According to Geldof, it was all word of mouth and good faith.

A legal nightmare for anything to be released post concert.

17. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

I expect the 'Let It Be' performance to have new vocals patched in where the microphones failed - I can't see Macca letting it go out as it really was on the day.

18. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

No need... the original vocals are intact.

It was only the live feed that failed on the vocals... a little after the event. BBC radio 1 played the song with Macca's vocals!

I think, anyone who has a tape can confirm it, that only the PA vocal failed and Macca's foldback mix was OK and could be heard.

So I guess his lead vocal was recorded.

Quite possibly (and I am assuming here) a multi does exist.

19. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Paul re-recorded his lead vocal for any eventual release (or airplay) the next day (IIRC). I remember reading about this in one of the Mark Lewisohn books. Paul went to a studio the day after Live Aid to take care of any potential glitches in the tape. What a guy!

20. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Cheers, Mike!

I'll amend my memory.

21. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Remember how everyone thought that the 3 Beatles would "reunite" for the finale? On my tape (I can't remember if it was the TV feed or the FM feed) a female announcer prematurely shouts out "We have a reunion on stage" and her partner quickly replies "Yes it's a reunion, but it's not the Beatles".

Why to networks think we need announcers for things like this?

22. Ere

Ere Senior Member

U2 made a huge impression on me that day, for the first time. I rushed out and bought the live EP with 'Bad' on it.

23. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

John Wesley Harding used to sing a song circa
    late 80s that I seem to recall was titled "July 13, 1985"
    and it was about Live Aid.

There was a bit about Paul McCartney where he would
    pretend to sing with nothing coming out...

I can't remember if this song was ever released
    or if I just heard him sing it live.

But I guess Mr. Harding would have to amend
    his song too.

My vote is to put the song on dvd WITH the
    technical error. Even if it seems odd.

24. I was there in Philadelphia on a very hot day. Memories-Black Sabbath at 7am, very well organized, the bathrooms were all flooded, Power Station, Cars, CSN. The finale with the greatest names in rock. Patti Labelle tried to take over the finale with her screeching. Woody and Keif both wasted.
    Cant wait to relive the memories.

25. -=Rudy=-

I discovered a lot of artists that day. If anything, it gave a boost to a lot of these artists' careers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.