Live Version Becomes the Definitive Version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveMac, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Agree completely!

2. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Damn skippy.

That was for the Tree People.

3. Dillydipper

Well, that sure assumes a lot of-
    ...hey, you're right.

Ken E. likes this.
  4. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Please explain? I honestly have no idea what your post means.

5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Soul Stripper-AC/DC- '74 Jailbreak
    Down In A Hole-Alice In Chains-Unplugged
    Tunnel Of Love-Dire Straits-Alchemy
    Telegraph Road-Dire Straits-Alchemy
    Wasted Time-the Eagles-Live
    Tusk-Fleetwood Mac-The Dance
    Load Out/Stay-Jackson Browne-Running On Empty
    Miracles Out Of Nowhere-Kansas-Two For The Show
    All Songs-Supertramp-Paris
    #1 by far-Bad-U2-WAIA

The MEZ, breakingglass and Pete Puma like this.
  6. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

for me personally the prime example is "Little Wing" played at the Royal Albert Hall 1969, as on the purple box set (or, In The West lp)

the guitar solo is perfection and it has no distracting glockenspiel

and for exactly the same reason (glockenspiel anyway) U2 - I Will Follow was released as a live single in the Netherlands in 1983? 1984? which surpasses the studio version

Pete Puma likes this.
  7. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

It was an LP....Back in 72

8. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

Absolutely

9. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Difficult to read through six pages of posts. Although many fine songs were listed, many of which I like and agree with, nearly every one of them was 40 or 50 years old. Unless I missed it, not a single mention of any song from this Millenium. Not just none from this decade, but none from this entire generation.

10. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

I do like the Paris Hide In Your Shell a lot, and I assume you mean that you, personally, think the live versions are definitive. But I don't think any of the live versions replaced the studio versions broadly, publicly, anywhere.
    And neither did the Woodstock version of With A Little Help From My Friends, I don't think I have ever heard it or even of it outside of the Woodstock context.

brfloydfan likes this.
  11. Essan

Essan Forum Resident

Whitesnake: Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City (Live ... in the Heart of the City)

12. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Matt Andersen-Live at Olympic Hall
    Just got the 45 RPM two disc vinyl gatefold! Besides being a beautifully packaged LP, the music and audiophile sound is one of my new all-time favorite live album sets.

[​IMG]

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes

14. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

[​IMG]

Fantastic. Joined by Rusty Young. Bought it at the live show I saw last summer. Wow. Jimmy signed it beautifully.

And Jim is one of my favorite (and underrated) guitarists ever...

>>Recorded live at The Clark Center for the Performing Arts in Arroyo Grande, California and at The Lobero Theatre in Santa Barbara, California.
    Includes unlimited streaming of "In The Groove" with Special Guest Rusty Young via the free Bandcamp app, plus high-quality download in MP3, FLAC and more.

15. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Although the original from The Morning After is great, I think the live version from Live: Full House is greater: "Whammer Jammer" - J. Geils Band.
    Perhaps the intro?

16. Dillydipper

Diamonds' Hot August Night album is a live recording from the Greek Theater in Los Angeles. It was there Neil's performance began with "Crunchy Granola Suite", segued from a lovely orchestral intro. He then did "Done Too Soon", and stopped to greet the audience, many of whom were in the "free seats" in the wooded area. The Greek Theatre is an outdoor venue, acknowleging listeners far in the back, who apparently are referred to as "tree people". So he says, "Tree People - we're singing for you, too!"

This was a performance that is acknnowleged as the turn in Diamonds' career from singer-songwriter, to superstar artist. He was wracked with a cold that night, and apparently it brought out the best in him, probably because this was one of the larger, more crucial live events in a major city, backed with orchestra, and a recording team. The Orchestral prologue sets up the first song magnificently; I don't know of a rock riff better teed-off by strings that has ever been as well-received as the one that brought Diamond to the stage that night.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    RSteven and SteveMac like this.
  17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

OK, thanks for the explanation. Not being familiar with the term "tree people" I think you can see how I found your post somewhat cryptic. And you still haven't explained the "damn skippy" phrase.

That album was so popular in Australia that one of the standard jokes at the time was that when a couple went through a divorce, the biggest and most bitterly fought battle was over who got to keep Hot August Night.

RSteven likes this.
  18. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

The supermarket I used to work at always played the studio version. I’ve never heard the live version on radio ever. Maybe it got airplay in 1976 when it was a single off Wings Over America

19. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Any of The Who singles on Live At Leeds.

The MEZ and illwind64 like this.
  20. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

Agreed about McCartney.

On the other hand I feel like “Sing The Changes” live version from Good Evening NYC is the definitive version

applebonkerz likes this.
  21. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Substitute???

Atmospheric likes this.
  22. Dillydipper

I've seen that on Wikipedia before, that the album is particularly successful there. Wonder what struck such a chord.

"Damn skippy"="yeah"

23. brfloydfan

brfloydfan Forum Resident

Yes, that's what I meant! :)

24. The Subhuman -BOC (On Your Feet or On Your Knees)
    Dark Horse -George Harrison (Live in Japan)
    Fat Old Sun -Pink Floyd (Live at Paris Theatre 1971)
    Sparks / Amazing Journey -The Who (Live At Leeds Remaster)
    Uncle Sam's On Mars -Hawkwind (Weird Tapes #3)
    Coming Up -Wings / Paul McCartney (Single, bonus track on McCartney 2)

25. Are live albums still a popular thing in this millennium? A serious question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.