Live versions you prefer to studio versions.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lobo, Aug 23, 2005.

1. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me... Thread Starter

Hi all,

recently I stated here that in general I don't like live albums. As to every rule there's an exception, I indeed do prefer the live versions of some songs to the studio versions.

For example:
    The Beatles "Money" (the Swedish Radio Show live version beats the studio version by far)
    also I do prefer all The Band songs from the Last Waltz Concert to the studio versions. I didn't know the studio versions before and was really disappointed.

Which songs do you prefer in their live incarnation?

RangerXT and andrewskyDE like this.
  2. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

A LOT of King Crimson song starting around the time of 4th lp on were better live. Check out a lot of the Klub releases and USA. Just stunning.

3. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The Frampton Comes Alive versions.

ashiya, garysb, Sidewinder43 and 18 others like this.
  4. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Anything from McCartney & Wings Venus And Mars sounds better on Wings Over America.

5. theoxrox

theoxrox Forum Resident

Barry Manilow's "Daybreak" from his live album kicks the butt of the studio version all over the block!

John Shaft, John Adam and Keith V like this.
  6. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

McCartney's "Coming Up" live to me is a hundred times better than the studio version.

7. Emilio

Emilio Senior Member

ANY live version of David Bowie's "Heroes" is better than the studio version. Check the one on "Stage". "Rock and Roll Suicide" on "David Live" is also better in my opinion. "What in The World" and "Breaking Glass" on "Stage". And all songs from "Heathen" sound much better live, especially "Sunday", which includes a great guitar solo not on the studio version.

Kiss - "Shock Me" on "Alive II" (an Ace Frehley song).
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer - any live version of "Tigers in a Spotlight" is better than the studio version. Same for "Watching Over You".
    Pink Floyd - the live version of "Comfortably Numb" on "The Delicate Sound of Thunder".
    Billy Joel - "Goodbye to Hollywood" from "Songs in the Attic"
    Queen - "One Vision" from Wembley. "Tie Your Mother Down", "Get Down, Make Love" and "We Will Rock You" (especially the fast version) from "Live Killers". "Action This Day" and "Staying Power" from "Queen on Fire: Live at the Bowl"
    Simon and Garfunkel - "Cecilia" from "Old Friends Live on Stage". "Late in the Evening" (originally a Paul Simon solo song) and "April Come She Will" from "Live in Central Park".

I could probably remember a few more. Some live versions breathe new life into overlooked songs.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. mfp

mfp Senior Member

"Caravan", "Into the mystic", "Warm Love" and "Domino" by Van Morrison on It's too late to stop now.

9. reverber

reverber Senior Member

Not exactly live....
    But IMHO, the versions of songs done for a Peel Session almost always beat the "studio" versions. IIRC, the Peel Sessions were usually done on an eight track with few overdubs and few takes. The Only Ones Peel Sessions are so much better than their studio output that even members of the band prefer the Peel performances.

Cody

ewe2 and rikki nadir like this.
  10. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I think the version of "No Woman No Cry" from Bob Marley & the Wailers Live is the definitive version.

11. Stateless

Stateless New Member

U2's "Bad" on WIDE AWAKE IN AMERICA. Also "Sunday Bloody Sunday" on UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY.

12. Stateless

Stateless New Member

Not even close to the studio version without Waters vocal IMO. ;) I really dislike the vocalists that sub for his part on that version.

13. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I prefer Heart's live version of "Mistral Wind" from the '80 "Greatest Hits/Live" album over the "Dog and Butterfly" version. The studio version is good too... I just like the live version better.

14. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Little Feat - Willin' IMO, better live on Waiting for Columbus

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Kill the King - Rainbow (On Stage)
    Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple (Made in Japan)
    All Status Quo studio recordings - live 77

Somesurferdude and County50 like this.
  16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Tom Petty, "The Insider", from the Pack up the Plantation live album, knocks the studio version sideways.

Stevie

Fullbug, J_D__, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  17. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Almost anything that The Grateful Dead ever released. :laugh:

Take care,
    Jeffrey

MEMark, polchik, oopap and 8 others like this.
  18. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Speaking of Little Feat, the live version of "Dixie Chicken" beats the shorter studio take hands down.

As discussed in another current thread, the live "Sweet Jane" from Rock n' Roll Animal rules!

P.S. One more (slightly obscure): "Have You Seen the Saucers" from JA's 30 Seconds Over Winterland.

19. Jeff52

Jeff52 Forum Resident

The Rickie Lee Jones Naked Songs album is excellent. For the most part, just Rickie Lee and a guitar or piano and very well recorded.

audiotom, Jarleboy and The MEZ like this.
  20. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me... Thread Starter

Some forgotten (by me) gems: No woman no cry, Smoke on the water, Sunday bloody sunday... and Grateful Dead.

The MEZ likes this.
  21. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

Humble Pie Performance versions over the studio ones.

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Amy Grant's "Too Late" on "In Concert Vol. 2" over the studio version on "Never Alone."

melstapler and Mark B. like this.
  23. The first one that came to my mind was the Rolling Stones live (from Get Yer Ya Ya's Out) version of Midnight Rambler.

24. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

I feel that "Abacab" by Genesis got the definitive treatment on Three Sides Live.

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Some that haven't been mentioned yet:

Elvis - "Trying To Get To You" from the 68 Comeback special

The Kinks "Celluloid Heroes"

The Band - "It Makes No Difference" from The Last Waltz, and "Stage Fright" from Rock of Ages

Bob Dylan - "I Don't Believe You" "It's All Over Now Baby Blue" and "One Too Many Mornings" from Live 1966

Velvet Underground almost all of 1969 Live

Neil Diamond - Sides 1 and 4 of Hot August Night, plus "Kentucky Woman" from Gold

Van Morrison - Most of Live At the Grand Opera House, Belfast

Marianne Faithful - Most of Blazing Away

The 'OO - most of The Kids Are Alright

Richard Thompson "You Can't Win" from Watching The Dark

RSteven, Fullbug, Jarleboy and 2 others like this.