Lloyd Cole In New York - Collected Recordings 1988-1996

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monotone, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It might have been closer to $20 savings, actually. I think the amazon.uk total was ~$46. If LC charges for shipping, wouldn't it be more like $66? Tried to add it to my cart to get an estimate, but it wouldn't, perhaps because it was out of stock...

jpmosu likes this.
  2. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Just found FLAC download at "juno download" for £12.49 which I assume is a pricing error. Still, not going to let this pass me by !

3. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

As I download, I have looked at a couple of tracks from the 1st album in audacity, they look pretty much identical to the original CD (other than slightly different start points), and "plot spectrum" on the two releases are completely identical. I suspect what Mr Cole referred to as "light touch" remastering is in fact no remastering at all....

mrjinks likes this.
  4. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Don't Get Weird appears to have had a very small level shift and a marginal EQ change, Bad Vibes and Love Story identical to original CDs.

Glad I only paid £12 !!

5. Just bite the bullet. I did and I'm happy.

6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

My amazon.uk order shipped the next day. I've got several signed discs from LC already (Broken Record, Standards, the Ashtrays collection). I'm good! :)

wayneklein likes this.
  7. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

What's everyone thinking about the previously unreleased album? "No More Love Songs" and "Man on the Verge" are the only tracks that ended up on later albums?

8. All of them ended up on Etc. or The Collection, The Negatives. There's only one track that wasn't previously released and that was a specific mix of a song that had been released in another mix.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  9. Are you sure about Bad Vibes? It sounds improved to my ears--albeit not a big difference but certainly more dynamic.

10. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

Yes it's identical to original UK disc.

11. manicpopthrill

Certainly glad I didn't shell out for this box without listening/researching first. It's hard to believe Lloyd would try to pass the final discs off as "unreleased albums."

12. He's been upfront at his website that the unreleased album is the same as I recall except for one track (where it was a different mix). Everything on the demo disc has been unreleased (there may be one track that's the same as Ashtrays but it sounds slightly different in the arrangement to me part of that could be due to EQ choices however). It's certainly less essential than the first set or "Ashtrays". I think part of the confusion is due to the fact that the album, as presented, was an original release that didn't occur so technically it hasn't been released in this format.

I got mine as a B-day gift, so I'm OK with it but I could see how others might be less pleased....if you buy it from the Lloyd's website you do get the added bonus of it being autographed which wasn't a big deal to me.

13. manicpopthrill

Well, it's just how it read in the OP, but it may have been how he was quoted. I should have been more circumspect, I suppose, but at least I didn't plunk down change.

wayneklein likes this.
  14. It is a bit misleading in the advertising material which is why I think that Lloyd tried to clarify it (as I recall at his website) but you made a wise move especially if the demos don't have an appeal to you.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  15. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Am I the only one who finds the US track order of Don't Get Weird On Me Babe to be superior to the track order used on this box? The electric side should be first and the orchestrated side second. Closing the album with the quiet, dusky mood of "What He Doesn't Know" is far better than ending it with the snarky, winking "She's A Girl And I'm A Man".

wayneklein likes this.
  16. Of my original CDs this is the only one I kept for the track order and I rearranged it for my playlist when I ripped the new one to replace it.

robcar likes this.
  17. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I a man new to Lloyd Cole as I somehow missed him over the years so I bought the two boxes. Can someone tell me if Ashtrays is still essential or are the best parts of it on these boxes?

18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

?

19. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Depends how much you can cope with the compressed sound on Ashtrays. I've only got the original CDs, not this box set for comparison, but I can't see me playing Ashtrays much because all the life has been sucked out of the songs.

20. I'm confused what does Ashtrays have to with this well mastered set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.