Lo-fi to high-resolution worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by efhjr, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

The Soft Boys' "Underwater Moonlight" on SACD? Is it possible?

Many of my favorite recordings were made with inexpensive DIY or less than state-of-the-art recording studios, often on 4- or 8-track boards with plenty of ping-ponging and whatnot. Some of these are Neutral Milk Hotel's "On Avery Island," Robyn Hitchcock's "I Often Dream of Trains," and most of the SST label's catalog (bands such as Slovenly, the Minutemen, Meat Puppets, and so on) fit this description. You could easily add thousands of indie records to this list.

Considering the relative low fidelity of these recordings, are there any advantages to releasing them in SACD? Would it be worth the trouble? Would they require too much doctoring up, which would ruin the feel of the recording?

Not that I'd even dream that these recordings would get such treatment, but I think it's an interesting question. Can anybody name a lo-fi recording that has made it to SACD?

2. vex

vex New Member

Yes, I think "lo-fi" titles can certainly benefit from transfer to SACD. As everyone here knows, it's "in the mastering", so as long as the titles are mastered correctly, I think ANY analog master tape can reap at least some benefit of hi-rez SACD over standard redbook CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.