Loaded ~ The Velvet Underground

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

somewhat OT, but: in what format do people listen to Live 1969 at this point? I know that album through the 2-cassette version ... has it been reissued on vinyl in a quality mastering?

2. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

I just recently found the 1987 CD issue of this album, the "Warner Special Markets" version, bar-code 07599-27613-2.

It sounds great and can be cranked up loud with no ear-bleed. I ripped it with EAC, peak levels vary from 47.2% (I Found a Reason) to 93.6% (Oh Sweet Nuthin'). All are below 82% except tracks 7 & 10.

I noticed a high-pitch whine in the right speaker on the intro to "Oh Sweet Nuthin", is that part of the recording?

3. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

Is the german Atlantic CD (7567-90367-2) digitally identical to the US Warner Special Products?

4. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Been obsessed with the alt mix of train round the bend on the fully loaded version.

What the heck happens at about 1:22 to the snare? Bad edit? Around there it sounds like a new echo on the drum part to almost sound double tracked but that one beat is glaring

5. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It's the alternate "Oh! Sweet Nothing" that just kills me.

6. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Out of curiosity, I wonder if anybody else here owns a copy with the red Cotillion label?

[​IMG]

This is my Canadian copy bought back in the day.

7. G E

G E Senior Member

+1

I used to have it on 8- track for the car.

8. G E

G E Senior Member

And I also had this on 8-track

9. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Great album. My fave of theirs along w s/t. It's due for a listen.

Ya know, Nico woulda done a great job on vox w the tracks Yule sang. I swear I hear her in my head singing A New Age. Did she do a version of that?

dee, stef1205, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  10. villegas

villegas Active Member

Does anyone know something about the RSD edition coming up on April 14th?
    Should I expect something great?
    I only know it's going to be pressed in color vinyl...

AlienRendel likes this.
  11. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

All I know is that it will be on regular weight vinyl. I haven't seen one yet.

12. Engineer X

Engineer X Forum Resident

One of my favorite VU albums

13. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

A favorite of mine, too...

14. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

My VU favorite albums are the same as the order of when they out.

VU & Nico
    White Light
    S/T
    Loaded

I like it, but it's a little too much closer to normal. Put me in the camp of Mo's drumming being a distinctive part of their sound.
    Loaded would be a great record for most groups, but for the VU, the first three are greater. (IMHO)

15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

One of my favorite Velvets albums.

My favorite Velvets album is always the one I'm currently listening to. (Squeeze doesn't count, of course). Wish they'd made one or two more while they were at it.

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Loaded ( with hits). My first Velvet Underground album. Had to backtrack to get others. Perfect cept ' lonesome cowboy bill. 3rd s/t their indie album is also a classic. 66/67 debut this is their true classic LP never play it anymore though. That leaves the skull White Light/White Heat their metal album... a bit noisy for my delicate ears 2014, cutting edge stuff a few decades earlier.

17. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

in truth the first solo lou reed record and a great one....it's lou and sterling with a bunch of session players.....

macdaddysinfo and cc-- like this.
  18. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

should have said lou sterling and doug......but to my mind still a lou reed solo record

19. Buddhahat

Buddhahat Forum Resident

Is there a vinyl edition available with the different edits of sweet jane etc?

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

That might be a better way to look at it, enjoying it on its own merits rather than expecting another true VU album. Like many, I used to give Loaded short shrift, but I've really grown to love it over the years. Though certainly more accessible, Lou's songwriting is at its most focused and enjoyable. It's a damn shame that this album didn't bring them the commercial success they deserved. Don't get me wrong, I still love their early, edgy sound, but Loaded has worn quite well for me over time.

21. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

It's more of a Beach Boys / Mamas & Papas / Association parody, in my opinion, and I see it as a "yeah, we can do those kind of vocal arrangements too - if we want to" gesture. Given that the record was conceived as a self-conscious pop album, that's one of the bases they had to cover.

dino77 likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Nah.

23. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

24. drewslo

drewslo Forum Resident

Hard to consider a Lou solo album when Doug sings several of the songs. I do love it.

Colocally likes this.
  25. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

only by necessity, though, as I understand. Lou Reed had blown out his voice.

dino77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.