Logan Movie Official Trailer*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I really liked the film. My only complaint is how unnaturally clear and smooth movies look now. As if they're shot on camcorders. It felt like I was watching a movie on a giant LCD tv with a high frame rate capability.

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I'm quite familiar with the X-men comics (at least the ones up to the early 90's) and have read the initial "Old Man Logan" story in preparation (which was rather troubling in many ways; but hey, I'm an old-school bronze-age reader who has no business being here) so I won't be going in completely unarmed. But having received the most recent issue of "Entertainment Weekly" and seeing what a mixed up mess that X-franchise movie timeline is I'm not sure I even want to get involved. But this trailer does look pretty cool, and if it's anything like the "Old Man Logan" comic I'd be interested.

3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

OK. If you were totally unfamiliar with X-Men and Wolverine's history, though, the movie doesn't do anything to fill you in.

Still, I feel like the movie would be a lot more meaningful if you'd been along for the ride the last 17 years with Jackman and Stewart playing these characters.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Saw it yesterday and really liked it.

Sad but very heartfelt.

X23 was awesome....

5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Are there any inbred Hulks in this story? Or Hawkeye?

6. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I don't even think that's too necessary to enjoy this one. Again, similar to movies like Unforgiven, you don't necessarily need to have seen what the characters' lives and adventures were before you jump into this movie. There's enough of an explanation...
    ...for example, when they talk about the subsequent "comic book" versions of themselves...
    ...to understand that there's a long, complicated history between them. I think, if anything, it stands on its even better if you never saw some of the lesser X-Men/Logan films.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Dystopian future and Logan going on a journey with a friendly companion are about the only holdouts from the actual Old Man Logan story, as far as I'm aware.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  8. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

It uses the future time period as a starting point, but then goes off in its own direction. Neither of what you mention are included in the plot.

9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

To be fair, when she ripped off the guy's head, she was off screen (you didn't see it happen and only heard noises. Then when she came out, she dropped the head and it rolled.)

Though, we got to see when Logan was doing his head-ripping.

(The Logan clone did some brutal stuff too.)

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, you have a point: there were some high shutter angles (200° and up) where things start getting "too digital" for me. It's not a good luck. Color-wise and brightness-wise, I thought it looked fine and very consistent all the way through, and the lighting was very good.

BTW, there were a ton of digital CGI actors in the show:

[​IMG]

Sometimes it was just face replacement (pinning the real face onto a stunt-person's body), and sometimes it was completely digital. What surprised me was how they replaced Hugh Jackman's face onto the driver of the car, which was seamless.

The CG Actors in ‘Logan’ You Never Knew Were There

JL7 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

If somebody with virtually no knowledge of the prior films, comic books, or backstory (me) saw this movie, would it make sense or would I be lost.

12. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

If you had no clue who Wolverine and Prof. X (Charles Xavier) are, then I wouldn't recommend it. Of course, if you didn't have a rudimentary knowledge, I can't imagine why you would want to see the 3rd movie (or the 9th or 10th, really) in a franchise. This one is pretty standalone, but not knowing the two principals at all would be a huge detriment.

13. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I was interested in it because the reviews I have read indicate it is quite different from what we are used to from this genre. I've heard of the characters names before, know what they look like, that's about it.

14. BeatleJWOL

I mean without the superhero trappings, it's just another movie about a guy struggling with his age, his rage, and a kid he never knew he had. :p

15. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Given the article Vidiot linked to, I suspect it was a double in most of the brutal/violent scenes, with the girl's face digitally added.

John

Vidiot likes this.
  16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

I saw "Logan" last night, despite not having seen the previous Wolverine films, or the last X-Men movie. Much more violent than I was expecting ... many a body is cleft in twain, or poked with the adamantium claws in the neck or head (one bit done in slow-mo was particularly nasty). So I guess the film is a kind of dour depressing Deadpool in some ways.

One annoying thing: the good guys are getting chased by an army of murderous bad guys, who can track them quite easily, and Wolverine / Prof X never consider that staying the night at some innocent family's farm is a bad idea...

--Geoff

JPagan and Solaris like this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

Logan is fully aware of it, but gives into Charles wanting to stay anyway.

musicfan37 and Stormrider77 like this.
  18. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Yes, but one might not "get" the impact of a large chunk of it without at least knowing what Wolverine and the Proff's powers are. I don't think it is necessary to know any of the history of either character beyond those basic elements, though.
    If you don't know about his adamantium skeleton or his healing factor, then a lot of the impact of what is happening to Logan is lost, imo

Stormrider77 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Liked it a lot and Dafne Keen was really good!

20. BeatleJWOL

Oh agreed, I was being a smart@$$ in my reply. :D

21. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Musta missed that bit. But still, I woulda thunk there woulda been an almighty "Aw hell no!" before, rather than a meek "my bad" later.

Wolverine: We can't stay here! We could get this entire family killed!
    Prof X: I would like to have a wee kip in this nice house.
    Wolverine: You make a convincing argument. We'll stay. The benefits outweigh the risks.

--Geoff

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Solaris likes this.
  22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, there's some truth to that. Without giving anything away, it's fair to say it's a downer film.

Although the dance numbers were fun...

[​IMG]

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I saw it last night, primarily as a result of positive reviews, personal recommendation, and the fact that seeing one more movie is essentially "free" once I've already paid the monthly MoviePass subscription. (Tuesday is also half-price popcorn night.)

I haven't seen any "Wolverine" or "X Men" films, and knew no more about these characters going in than what the trailer provided. I got the sense that people much more familiar with the characters felt a heck of a lot more of an emotional impact from this film than I did. Just my experience, of course.

Choreographed "action" sequences don't so anything for me, so I was far more focused on the plot. From that perspective, I was reminded, oddly enough, of "The Road" (the McCarthy novel or the film, take your pick). I can't say more without spoiling.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yeah, I would say you have to probably have at least a little bit of interest in or affinity for the "franchise" to really feel emotional about the movie. You're also probably not going to be super into a movie about a dude with claws that kills people if choreographed action sequences do literally nothing for you.

I've seen most of the X-Men and Wolverine flicks, though I'm not a hardcore fan. But I thought the film was very impactful, and was so refreshing compared to most any other Marvel or superhero film.

I posted some thoughts in the 2017 movie thread, but to reiterate:

To the degree it's even worth comparing to other films of the "genre", this film blows away any other Disney-helmed "MCU" movie, blows away any of the other X-Men movies (and "Deadpool"), and blows away the current slate of DC films. It's only real competition in my mind in the modern "superhero" genre era would be the Nolan Batman trilogy, and even then really only one or two of those.

"Logan" isn't A++++ perfect or anything. But it has more emotion and feeling (and I'm not even an X-Men fan or anything) than every MCU movie combined. MCU movies leave me cold. The new DCEU movies leave me at least feeling something, even if it's only occasional admiration mixed with lots of "that could have been so good!" "Logan" has all of the action and violence that the franchise probably needs to be legit, but it also is stripped-down and as realistic as this sort of stuff can get.

I went to a Monday late afternoon showing that wasn't very packed, but I'll say this: I've NEVER been to a film, certainly of anything in the action/superhero genre, where people around me were reacting so powerfully. Several people behind me were audibly crying at the end. A guy in front of me was so pissed about what happens at the end that he literally threw his drink. Not pissed like he thought it was poorly done, but pissed because what they did at the end was so sad. As in, I guess he didn't feel he wanted to cry, so he had to lash out in anger. Weird and awkward, but powerful.

This movie completely disproves the idea pushed by superhero/comic/Marvel fans that Fox needs to give their Marvel properties back to Disney/Marvel proper. Disney would *never* have made this movie, even keeping in mind what they did in "Rogue One." I'm not just talking about people dying. The entire "Logan" film is kind of anti-Marvel, perhaps on purpose.

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Well said balzac.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.