Long and Winding Road DVD set?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jamie Tate, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I'm wondering the same thing, too. I saw this yesterday at Best Buy. They also had a similar Stones title produced by the same people, though the title escapes me.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I'm assuming this is another small company documentary made up of public domain interview footage and newsreels, no actual Beatles music, and interviews with fringe Beatle associates and so-called "experts." Probably not worth your time, but if anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Looks crappy and overpriced...I'll pass. The fellow who posted a comment over at Amazon wasn't a happy camper...

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member Thread Starter

I saw that. Maybe we should listen to his warning?!?

6. Michael

I am..."Unauthorizd"is also a bad sign...I guess they're going after the completest's...

7. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I'm hoping it might fill the gap left by the absence of the COMPLEAT BEATLES on DVD. I personally enjoyed hearing Allan Williams', Bill Harry's and Bob Wooler's perspectives (among others) on that video.

8. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Some details from the AbbeyRd site:

Steve,

Star DTV in Canada aired the Beatles "Long and Winding Road" documentary this week (due out on DVD March 2003). Thought I would send along reviews on each program:

Episode 1, "There Are Places I Remember: 1940-1958". The program predominantly features interviews with original Quarrymen: Rod Davis, Eric Griffiths, Colin Hanton, and Len Garry. The Woolton Fete is discussed along with many other Quarryman anecdotes. Also interviewed is Allan Williams and John's sister Julia Baird. Good use is made of early black & white photos. The Beatles birth places are shown.

Episode 2, "One and One And One Makes Three: 1958-1960". Interviews are with Allan Williams, Bill Harry (Mersey Beat publisher), Rod Murray (John Lennon and Stuart Sutcliffe's roommate at Art College), Beryl Adams (a.k.a. Wooler - Brian Epstein's secretary), Gibson Kemp (Rory Storm drummer), Tony Sheridan, Eric Griffiths, Len Garry. A good portion of the show features interviews with Allan Williams regarding the Beatles Hamburg excursions. Again in this episode, good use of old black & white photos.

Episode 3, "Hamburg and Herr Epstein: 1960-1962". Program covers Beatles performing in Hamburg and at Liverpool Cavern. Great use of b&w photos (including some I have not previously seen). Many are interviewed in this episode: Tony Sheridan, Horst Fascher (Star Club Manager & bouncer), Allan Williams, Bill Harry, Julia Baird, Rod Murray, Beryl Adams, Tony Calder (Beatles 1st Press Officer), Billy Preston, Gibson Kemp, Alistair Taylor (NEMS general manager and Brian Epstein assistant), Icke Braun, Frank Dostal (The Rattles), Doris Kaempfert (Bert Kaempfert's daughter), Mary Dostal (bass player Liverbirds), Kino Drysee (Hamburg DJ and Beatles friend), Horst Jankowiak (Beatles friend).

Episode 4, "Beatlemania: 1963-1966". This program deals with Beatles trip to America, HDN and Help movies, MBE, and world touring. Program contains really cool color home movie clips of Beatles performing outdoors at Crosley Field Cincinnati during the 1966 summer tour. As well, unseen b&w clips of 1966 Tokyo Japan press conference are shown (Paul comments). Sid Bemstein is interviewed about Beatles in U.S., and Shea Stadium concerts he promoted. Others interviewed include: Alistair Taylor, Tony Sheridan, Julia Baird, Albert Maysles (doc. film maker - Beatles first U.S. visit), Alf Bicknell, Roy Benson (film editor), Michael Ochs (photo journalist), Joe Espisito/ Sonny West/ Richard Davis (Memphis Mafia - on Elvis meeting with Beatles 1966), Allan Williams, Beryl Adams, Billy Preston, Rod Davis, Colin Hanton.

Episode 5, "Love, Litigation, and Let It Be: 1967-Presemt". Includes topics: Beatles on LSD, Sgt. Pepper, Magical Mystery Tour, Maharishi, Yellow Submarine, Yoko, White Album, Allen Klein, Apple, Let It Be, Amsterdam bed-in, Abbey Road, break-up, Lennon's death, Harrison's death. Interviews with Tony Sheridan, Alf Bicknell, Tony Calder, Rod Davis, Stanislaus Klaussowski (musician), Julia Baird, Bill Harry, Gibson Kemp, Roy Benson, Len Garry, Alistair Taylor, Richard Porter, Billy Preston, Allan Williams, Sid Bernstein, Mary Dostall, Beryl Adams, Colin Hanton.

9. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

I decided to be the guinea pig. I've only gotten through one disc, but the production values are pretty high and it should serve as a somewhat worthwhile supplement to the ANTHOLOGY.

I'm enjoying hearing from some of the Quarry Men and Allan Williams, in particular, about the early days. All seem to have fond memories of those heady days.

In summation, thus far it's a nicely done piece on the Beatles, but the absence of the real music is a pretty devastating shortcoming. Sadly, it's my understanding that Apple bought (and buried) THE COMPLEAT BEATLES, which I still think would be a wonderful companion to the ANTHOLOGY and does benefit greatly from the inclusion of the music that forms the core of the Beatles' story.

10. Michael

Hmmm, Now you got me curious! Any clue why Apple would bury The Compleat Beatles??? Glad I still have my VHS copy!

11. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

No reason in particular besides control. I can't imagine that anything really offended any of the Beatles, but it wasn't produced by Apple or the Beatles.

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Same with Apple buying the rights to the Beatles cartoons back around 1991.

They haven't been seen on TV since, let alone become available on home video.

A control thing alright.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.