Long Lost Songs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by olschl, Apr 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olschl

olschl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry for the stutter-posts. I can't seem to delete.

2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

Heard this late one night in the late 70's and never figured out who was until seven or eight years later...

olschl likes this.
  3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Don't know how long it took but at least 15 years to find out that it was Van Morrison's Moondance that I had heard many times but could never catch the name of the artist or name of the song.

Even humming the bassline or vocal line to people in guitar shops or music stores didn't produce any result. Hooray for Shazam. :)

olschl likes this.
  4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Even before the internet really took off, circa early 90s, I started buying a few CD comps ( a far less expensive way to enjoy obscure 60s garage-punk than buying the original vinyl 7" artifacts) I spotted that song on CD; a compilation of needle-drops of rare 45s by various Texas garage bands of the mid-to-late 1960s. Iirc, it was on the Collectibles reissue label. I'm quite sure that CD is by now long out of print and has become a collector's item, in turn, itself! The internet changed everything in terms of what was once considered "obscure" ~ it used to be that not many people had heard of these local 45s, beyond their respective high school or hometown populations. These days "obscure" is pretty much anything that hasn't been uploaded to YouTube yet, and in most instances, only the actual original 45s are still considered "rare".

olschl likes this.
  5. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I remember hating this on a K-Tel record (back in 72 when I had the luxury of hating radio songs).

6. blaken123

blaken123 Your Greater Tri-County CD Superstore

I remember when I OMD's "Dreaming" was a hit in the USA, I really loved the song and bought the Best of OMD... but the cd version seemed different. The backup vocals sounded different on the cd version... less whiny and plaintive somehow than the top 40 version. Thanks to the magic of the internet, I've learned that there was indeed a "usa single mix" but I still haven't been able to hear it.

olschl likes this.
  7. utopiarun

utopiarun "on the road to Utopia"

I have one that I’m still yet to find. In the late 70’s or early 80’s on WNEW FM NY I heard a song with the lyrics “Mona you’re drunk” and then at the end “Mona I’m Drunk”. It sounded like a Tom Waits song but I still can’t find it and searched lyrics on line and nothing comes up. Can anyone help?

olschl likes this.
  8. 81531

81531 Forum Resident

I am looking for an album or EP that must have been released in the last 7 years. No earlier than 2011 and later than 2017.
    The artwork is blue and may shows quiet ocean waves. The music was uploaded on YouTube from the band themselves.
    It's not really a well known band.
    The album or EP came out on CD and as 12" or LP. I'm not 100 % sure what genre it was.
    Can be one of these genres:
    - Synth Pop
    - Instrumental
    - Electronic influenced music

This album or EP was also sold on Amazon but I could not find it there.

That's all I know. Hope that someone can help me searching.

olschl likes this.
  9. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I was driving a route truck around 1977-77, and I was listening to the radio when a Waylon Jennings song came on. I had never heard it before, and I didn't catch the name of the song. All I could remember was the line "and there stood Jesus Christ in all his glory".
    So time goes on and from time to time that part of the song would pop into my mind.
    I'd asked just about everyone I knew if they had any idea what the song was, but no one did.
    About five years ago that same song line came back into my memory, and a quick search gave me the answer.
    I was lucky enough to find a copy of the lp, Ladies Love Outlaws, that contains the song a couple of years ago.
    It is a German pressing that looks and sounds like it's brand new.

olschl likes this.
  10. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Very true, I consider myself so lucky to be alive in this era where music is so accessible. One thing I've learned to do is to continue to check YouTube and other music sites even if the song I'm looking for isn't there at first...chances are it will be posted eventually!

olschl and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Not too long of a gap, but back in the early 80s I was driving around WLA and listening to college station KXLU. This song came on that just blew me away, deadpan vocal and just tremdous sounding on the edge guitars. The singer was going on about Halloween. I never heard the song/band identified. A few weeks later I’m at Rhino Records in Westwood. I pick up an LP based on how cool it looked (which I never ever do). Take it home, play, final track on side one is called Halloween. The song! The Dream Syndicate! Hooked for life!

olschl likes this.
  12. olschl

I just remembered another one; the oldest, I think.
    It was between 1967 and 1970. I was at a high school dance and a local band named Grisby's Clan was playing. Mostly, if not all covers.
    They did one I've never heard before or since.

What I remember is:
    'Shake me
    Wake me
    Don't let me sleep too long
    I gotta make it in due time
    before...............'

It wasn't R&B like the Four Tops hit. Definitely rock.
    Ring any bells?

13. John54

John54 Senior Member

I heard it in a sandwich shop in 1984 but it took a couple of decades to find the details of Are You Really Gonna Walk Out by Chilliwack:

You could have asked any Canadian, LOL

olschl likes this.
  14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I love this idea for a thread. I made a file of mp3s of all the lost songs and I got a few hundred to the age of 24 or so.

I think I was able to track down close to 99 % of all the tunes I think I heard.

They were songs I had heard on TV, for instance, or at least not on any LPs I had been exposed to later on, random circumstance. No beatles or Dylan.

I also made a file of TV theme MP3 which periods overlap for me. That is some of the most powerful musical experiences I've ever had.

I'll think of things to post.

olschl likes this.
  15. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

olschl likes this.
  16. olschl

Crimson Witch and YardByrd like this.
  17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

If I had got back to this thread in "due time," I could have told you that it was likely the Blues Project version you heard. It was never a single for them, but got a lot of FM airplay from their album Projections.

The writing credits on the Myddle Class single are interesting. Larkey would be Charles Larkey, later associated with Carole King. The Blues Project version just says "Arranged by Al Kooper."

In fact, it's an old gospel song, though it's possible Kooper got it from The Coasters' version, which carries the composer credit of their lead singer Billy Guy.

YardByrd and olschl like this.
  18. olschl

Since the high school dance was in New Providence, NJ and the Myddle Class was from neighboring Berkeley Heights, I am wondering if it was not actually them that I heard playing live. They were playing that type of venue in the mid-60s.

19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

There was a song in the nineties that had some lyrics quite close to my heart, because i was going through a divorce. I still don't know what it was lol
    And i don't remember the lyrics now haha

olschl likes this.
  20. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

The Blues Project

Edit: didn't see someone else got there first

olschl likes this.
  21. olschl

Great tune. I never heard him sound so un-pop.

22. olschl

Can you confirm that it is or is not this one?

23. olschl

Does this help?

BeatlesBop likes this.
  24. Yep, that helps. I've seen that RnR HOF footage before. The Woodstock '94 performance was similar, but with 3 other songs before this part and more than 3X longer overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.