Longest and shortest albums ever?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mad Matt, Jul 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mad Matt

Mad Matt New Member Thread Starter

Metallica's And Justice for All was a double LP on vinyl... I have it : )

However, there were quite a few late 80's-early 90's single LPs well over an hour... the Time's Pandemonium, the aforementioned Hysteria and Back for the Attack, the Cure's Disintegration, Public Enemy's Fear of a Black Planet (although this was also released as a THREE LP set!), and numerous others.

The longest commecial CD I've seen to date is Valeri Gergiev's recording of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker... 81:20! Um, The Wall and Quadrophenia have NO excuse now for being double sets. ;)

As for the shortest, nobody's topped my pick of the Misfits yet, but Elvis had a ton of soundtrack albums that were sub-twenty minutes.

-Matt

PS: Shouldn't that Klaus Schultze box set count as a compilation? It may have been all unreleased, but I really doubt it was all recorded at the same time...

2. Mad Matt

According to the liner notes, the Gershwin was originally released as a complete set, then broken up into volumes a few months later. The bonus EP (with two Nelson Riddle instrumental medleys) was only available as part of the set.

-Matt

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Interesting. I've never seen it like that. Must be rare as hell that way.

4. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

True... but he has done a 10-CD box set of all-new recordings. And more than once, I might add. Seems that all he does now are these massive box sets, which is why I gave up trying to keep up. :rolleyes:

5. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Don't forget the soundtrack to "Nuts"! 13 minutes of Streisand composed solo-piano bliss :sigh: !

And, yes, the Dwarves classic "Blood, Guts & *****" is a streamlined 13:13.
    Both classics in my collection!

James

6. Jeff H.

Jeff H. Senior Member

Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Wave" clocks in at a taut 31 and a half minutes.

7. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

If I remember, there were complaints that Van Halen's "Diver Down" was a very short album, when it was initially released.

Just checked on half.com, it clocks in at a mere 29 minutes!

8. Pope V

Pope V Lurker

Some of my favorite short ones:

DRI - Dirty Rotten LP - 22 songs, 17 minutes
    Circle Jerks - Group Sex - 14 songs, 16 minutes
    Minutemen - The Punch Line - 18 songs, 15 minutes

9. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I remember when Get Happy came out and had TWENTY tracks on it! Wonderful. Till the Rykodisc CD came out with 30 listed tracks and one bonus track. Still one of the best listens I own.

I remember reading an interview with Nick Lowe at the time talking about how difficult it was to cram so much music into that vinyl.

-BZync

10. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

"Nashville Skyline" is under 30 minutes - But I still like it!

11. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Seems to me that at least one of the "Weird Scenes Inside The Gold Mine" discs was pretty long; 23 minutes each side, if failing memory serves.

Shortest one I ever had was DC5, I think it was the one that included "Any Way You Want It".

12. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

short CDs came up a while back in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1970s

google search found:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=12

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=1

--

The shortest time for a Rock & Roll album I've heard of is the soundtrack for
    the Elvis movie King Creole, which one book I read claims clocks in at slightly more than 19 minutes.

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=2
    --

Well, if you're going to go outside the restrictions in the original post of
    albums from the 60's & 70's, then the all time champion has to be The Dwarves
    1990 album Blood Guts & *****: Thirteen songs in 14 minutes.

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=3

--

13. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

The Rod Stewart LP, Sing It Again Rod (yeah the one shaped like a whiskey glass), the original copies carried a sticker saying this album contains 51 minutes of music.

14. Mission of Burma released a cd on Ryko that was almost
    82 minutes long and a lot of players freaked out and wouldn't play it.

as for short lp's but Ringo's 'Blast From the Past' and
    Neil Young's 'Everybody's Rockin' ran roughly 24 mins. apiece.

at least in Neil's case it was trax his fans did not already own.

15. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I've been playing all the Van Halen HDCD remasters over the last couple of days. All of them, from the first through 1984, track at around 30 minutes, give or take a minute.

16. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Elvis Costello released a couple packed LPs, GET HAPPY and TAKING LIBERTIES. Pretty thin-sounding when they try to cram ten songs a side. When I bought the Rykodisc CD, it was like I was hearing GET HAPPY for the first time!

I remember Paul McCartney released a couple albums that were pretty long, too. WINGS GREATEST and BACK TO THE EGG, maybe TUG OF WAR?

Someone already mentioned Neil Young's EVERYBODY'S ROCKIN'. Some of the Hi label soul classics from Al Green and Ann Peebles were awfully short, certainly sub-thirty minutes. And country music labels were notorious for putting the finger on the scale during the seventies. I remember complaints about Dolly Parton's albums having some very short timings.

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

In the 70s, there was a series of import LPs called "Golden Hour of..." that contained 60 mins. of music. I think they were on the Pye label, I had "Golden Hour of the Kinks" (still do, just too lazy to dig it out right now).

18. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

The Ramones first album clocks in at 28:53, according to allmusic.com

Longest? How 'bout any one of the newer alt-rock and/or nu-metal bands that pack their CD's full to the very last possible minute, leaving about ten minutes of good music and seventy minutes of filler :realmad:

19. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Yeah, the food sucks but the portions are great!

20. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I think side four of Second Winter by Johnny Winter might have that beat. :)

Trbnado likes this.
  21. Mad Matt

Side four of Graham Parker's The Parkerilla is about six minutes IIRC... the "bonus" studio cut on a three-sided live album.

22. SteveSDCA

SteveSDCA Senior Member

S & G's Bookends is pretty short

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

:confused:

24. Mad Matt

A couple recent mainstream sub-thirty minute records (and both good ones to boot)...

The Hives- Veni Vidi Vicious (28:02)
    Weezer- The Green Album (28:29)

Hate to Say I Told You So,
    Matt

25. chasing_8

chasing_8 Forum Resident

3 of my all-time favorite CD's:

Sonic Youth - "Daydream Nation" - ~71 min
    The Cure - "Disintegration" - ~72 min
    Tool - "Lateralus" - ~79 min

And I love almost every second of all of 'em. I have no problem with lengthy albums, as long as I think they're good. I can sit down, listen, and float away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.