Looking for a anti-skate weight (Sansui turntable).

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by keith65, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,

I am searching for an anti-skate weight, you know the one that hangs in thin wire at the end of the arm. It's for an old Sansui turntable. The weight should be 1.5 grams. Anyone know if these are available somewhere?

2. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

ASK on website: AudioKarma ( in the Sansui section ). All the Sansui guys help each other, it's a club of sorts.

& watch eBay.

Or... make one. Find a 1.5 gram bolt and hang it. Not pretty but it will work. If the 'line' is missing, just use light weight fishing line.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. keith65

Thanks!

4. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

I've heard people using fishing weights. Again, not pretty, but will work in a pinch.

5. keith65

I've just rolled some soldering wire into a 1.5 gram weight and attached with normal sewing wire. Not pretty! but guess it will work until I find the real deal. :)

6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Fishing line and some sinkers that add up to 1.5 grams.

keith65 likes this.
  7. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

Oh, Dang! So, THAT'S what's missing from the old FR-D35 I just picked up, a piece of string and an actual anti-skating weight, since it doesn't function by way of a traditional number dial. I wondered why I was having such a freeking hard time trying to figure out the anti-skate adjustment on this thing to no avail, watching helplessly as the cartridge, a newly installed Stanton 500, slides across the slipmat no matter what I do (though I was of course, sure to remove the styli first. DUH! lol!). Hopefully, the records I have spun on it have not been too damaged since I traded my old Yamaha P-300 for this one yesterday.

8. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Sorry, but that turntable does not need any string and hanging weight. There should be a sliding "bias" weight to set the anti-skating force. Please have the User Manual http://www2.ing.unipi.it/g.triggiani/Pict/Sansui_FR-D35.pdf available for any further reference (courtesy of vinylengine.com, be their guest!). Cheers!

9. Vinyl Dude

Vinyl Dude Well-Known Member

Whew...Thank goodness! In any case, I'm looking over the manual now, as we speak. I see that, in the overhead pic of the 'table itself, outlining all of the functions, there appears to be a larger weight on the "bias" (anti-skate) function, whereas mine is a smaller, black one. In the event that it might not be the proper part, I would hope that there is a reasonable substitute in case said part is difficult to track down. Anyway, THANKS a ton for providing the PDF of the manual! Definitely appreciated. I guess I won't have to take my turntable back in a huff! Haha! (Now, to find the proper dust cover and hinges, since the dust cover the repair guy at my local record shop put on-since it was missing the original- doesn't quite fit as well as it should)

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Jimi Floyd likes this.
  10. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

Hello JimiFloyd...[right now I have Pink Floyd's Obscured By Clouds on the turntable.as I write you this question- I have my brother-in-law's Sansui FR-D25 TTable. I have been spinning LP's for over many months now without having any problem of my tonearm sliding towards the center. It appears t I have lost my bias weight for sometime now and often wonder what this is doing to an otherwise nice sounding playback of vinyl.This sliding "bias" weight appears to be on my Model # also just like the 35.Unfortunately I did not receive the owner's manual as part of this gift.Any thoughts are appreciated , thanks.

11. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

Oopps.. looks like i found it here...wow, nevermind[?] still, any thoughts from you would be cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.