Looking for a component that plays files without streaming?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Krankenstien, Nov 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Thank you!!

2. William Barty

William Barty Forum Resident

Thanks, Wolfram

The Kodi remote (Kore - and there are others, too) communicate with the Raspberry Pi by WiFi. You can either use local storage (USB or MicroSD) for your music files or a network share from a NAS or another computer on the network. Agree that Volumio works well, too, and is in my experience rock solid reliable.

wolfram and dasacco like this.
  3. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Thanks!

Did you say that Volumio won't pass hi-res or multichannel over HDMI? That's ultimately what I want to do.

4. William Barty

William Barty Forum Resident

Sorry - actually don't know the answer to that because I've only used Volumio with stereo mp3s. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experience.

dasacco likes this.
  5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'm not totally sure about stereo hi-res because I used a USB DAC for that, but for multi channel you will need Kodi after all. But in the end, Kodi isn't bad at all. It's just more complex than needed for listening just to music.

dasacco and Rolltide like this.
  6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Thanks so much @William Barty and @wolfram !

I think I have enough to get started, and the rest will be an adventure in technology, which is why we're all here, right? :wave:

CrazyCatz, wolfram and William Barty like this.
  7. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I had so much fun playing with my new Raspberry Pi over the weekend!

Still playing around, but definitely able to get Kodi to play hi-res and multi-channel as well as standard mp3 files from direct attached USB and network storage.

My Yamaha receiver can display the input signal and it's decoding hi-res and multi-channel as expected.

Many thanks for the tips!

wolfram and CrazyCatz like this.
  8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, the Raspberry is a great little piece of gear for ridiculously little money. :)

dasacco likes this.
  9. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Still using this setup on my Raspberrry Pi and have a large collection of hi-res stereo and multi-channel files that I can easily play through it.

New question - I have access to a Windows 7 laptop that I was thinking of replacing the Pi with. Unfortunately it has no HDMI output. Can a bitstream be output from, say, the headphone jack or a USB to then be decoded by the DAC in my receiver?

Thanks!

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The headphone jack is an analog connection, not digital.

The usual way to get a digital signal out of a laptop is through a USB port. Use the applet in Control Panel to configure the connection to the DAC. Typically in Windows, you'll have to install the DAC's USB driver (in this case, the receiver's USB driver if it exists on the manufacturer's web site).

dasacco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.