Looking for a Linear Tracker

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by anede001, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

2. srekveld

srekveld New Member

To spin the platter with the lid open you may fool the SL-QL15 in thinking the lid is closed. Just, press the little notch in the upper right corner below the tonearm and the start button at the same time

marblesmike likes this.
  3. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

So what T4P carts would you guys recommend besides the Technics 310MC? Any that use line contact or shibata styli?

4. professor gascan

professor gascan Well-Known Member

If the SL-10/7/5 plays anything like my SL-QL1 you'll be happy. $5 bucks for the arm belt and a few hours to clean and relube and mine has played very well for the last year I've had it.

I have a decent crop of T4P carts, but my top 3 are:
    3-ADC psx-40 Rpsx-40 stylus
    2-Technics p22 Jico SAS stylus
    1-Realistic RX1500 AT150mlx stylus

5. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Professor, are
    Professor, are you loading the AT150MLX combo any differently? I tried out something similar to that cart setup and 42K resistance sounded pretty good.

6. dartira

Thanks. Some very interesting combinations there.

7. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

I have an SL-DL5. Works pretty well, except it occasionally picks up early on long sides. Not sure how to fix it? Bought a nice ortofon cartridge for it before I bought my SL1200MK5 from KABUSA.

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

I have a Technics P-Mount that came with an AT122LP cartridge. After screwing around with the new p-mount offerings i learned that my old cartridge could be upgraded to TOTL with a new stylus, the one from the AT152LP (the genuine audio technica nude, line contact with beryllium cantilever). It is nothing short of amazing and sounds dynamic. detailed and awesome. The 152 stylus is listed in the link below. http://www.stereoneedles.com/audio-technica.html
    do some research and find a compatible AT body. These should be readily available. It beats the life out of a new grado gold 1 even with the 8mZ stylus upgrade.

9. dartira

Great info, thanks a lot. I'm always interested in linear trackers and how they can be able to minimize IGD. This AT / line contact route looks really good.

10. edinburghmac

edinburghmac Forum Resident

Just to add to this, the SL7 can also be fooled into spinning with the lid open by holding down the button at the top left of the platter and then pressing the play button. This works fine for standard black vinyl but for any coloured/translucent vinyl the manual size selector slider has to be moved off auto for the drive to start up. My SL7 was a 21st birthday present from my parents and is still going fine 30+ years later and has never required servicing.

PhilBiker likes this.
  11. scott armour

scott armour New Member

I just finished cleaning up an SL-7. Old grease was nearly like peanut butter thick! It's seems to have a very smooth arm and gears movement now - except one issue has arisen: a low resonance intermittant thump seems to happen when the arm is resetting to the center of the lift assembly roller during play as it moves slightly back and forth, as if the arm at the guide rail is either ahead or behind the stylus at the grooves. Appears to happen if the album is off center or has a warp and the arm has a lot of back and forth travel distance. The thump sounds like when you tap a finger lightly on the lid - thump! Especially noticeable thru the sub woofer as super low vibration, you know, the kind you do not want. If I turn off the sub, and use flat tone control, I hardly hear it.
    First thought is the old arm belt might be too loose. Second thought it I don't know anything!
    If I need a belt (and I think I do regardless) where do I get one of those $5 belts the "professor" mentioned above?
    Any ideas?

12. scott armour

scott armour New Member

Clarification, I figured something out I should have realized or at least noticed. The stylus end of the arm is pulled by the tracks and the rail end of the arm is moved intermittantly, incrementally and minutely toward the center by the motor/belt/gears/pulley to keep up with the stylus end. When the motor kicks in to move the arm is when I get the thump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.