Looking for a music streamer with WIFI and Tidal built-in.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SKATTERBRANE, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay I would be looking for a unit that is NOT dependent on a computer or a smart phone. I want a unit that can wirelessly connect to the internet via my wireless router. I want it to have Spotify, Pandora, Tidal and other services and various internet radio and YouTube capabilities built in. I know that I have to pay for subscriptions but--again NOT looking to hook it up to a laptop or use a smartphone.

I want it to be under $1,000 MSRP. I will probably buy it used for around $600 though. Any suggestions? I look on the internet and it seems that built in Wifi is not as common and relying on Ethernet only hookups. And the descriptions don't seem to list all the streaming services but give one or two. Is this just a sample or are they saying these are the ONLY ones a unit has built in to its firmware?

Obviously it would have to have a screen and remote to allow me to see what I am doing as it will not be used with a TV, computer or smartphone.

My searches so far have units requiring a smartphone, or they do not have WiFi. Or they do not have Tidal. It would be nice to get a unit with 802.11ac

2. wmb44

wmb44 Forum Resident

The Sonos Connect may work for your purposes. It's only $350.

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Doesn't fit his requirements. For some reason he doesn't want to use a smart phone or ipad to control it so it needs a display and the ability to pick the service from there.

4. SKATTERBRANE

Yeah, I have been searching since before starting this thread and I do not think they even make such an animal. The best I can come up with would be a Oppo or Cambridge bluray player and even their flagship models do not have built in WiFi (they have a WiFi adaptor so I would have to get an outboard WiFi antenna). And I am not sure if they have Pandora, Spotify AND Tidal built in or not. Tidal and Pandora are a must. The downside to a bluray player is I have to use my TV to see what I am doing. I am surprised there isn't a market for what I am wanting. They seem to be to augment your computer network and music files. The features I want seem to be secondary or not at all.

5. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

I'd look at the Bluesound Node 2, I think it has everything you want except a control screen for $499, and has been getting some very good reviews over the last year. Why not just pick up a cheap tablet for under $100 to run the control app, and you'd probably be set, no smartphone needed. Maybe check with them for any limitations, but they say you can use a Kindle for control too, so any tablet with compatible OS should do. And some simple control can be done through TV remote too.

NODE 2 - Bluesound »

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  6. SKATTERBRANE

I am having no problem finding units that do NOT fit my criteria, there are hundreds of them.

audiomixer likes this.
  7. SKATTERBRANE

I am not expecting anyone to search for one for me. I just thought someone on this board actually owns a unit like what I want. But I do not think such a thing exists. I see plenty of network streamers that have WiFi and its own screen and remote, but they require a Smartphone or computer to access Pandora and Tidal. Some have Pandora and/or Spotify. Maybe in a year or two there will be a unit like I want?

8. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Doubtful... there aren't many people that want to stream but refuse to use an app. More products are being controlled through tablets/phones all the time so the chances of them designing something like that are slim. Like Davey said...buy a used tablet for a hundred bucks and just use it to control the streamer if you have no need for the 1001 other things a tablet can do.

9. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

With or without built in DAC?

10. SKATTERBRANE

I think I would need a DAC. I want it to be a audio component to plug into my preamp using RCA plugs. I am basically looking for a "tuner" that tunes in from my internet via a WiFi connection with built in Pandora and Tidal.

If I HAVE to, I would go with a BluRay. Such as: Cambridge Audio CXU. It seems to have Wifi a dedicated audiophile stereo capability but I am trying to find out if it has built in Pandora AND Tidal or not. My cheapo Vizio Bluray has WiFi built in and only Pandora, but it is far, far from audiophile quality, which would render Tidal overkill anyway.

11. SKATTERBRANE

I thought I found something in OPPO 105 but here is a quote:

"In September OPPO added Tidal functionality via a beta firmware release which has since been given official sign-off. Tidal is accessible only via OPPO’s MediaControl iOS/Android app"

I give up. I should be able to get everything I need with a simple wireless internet connection!! I have a touch screen laptop with tablet capability but I do not want to drag my laptop around to and from my office to my living room to play Tidal music on my stereo.

12. 500Homeruns

For less than $600 you could buy the Bluesound Node 2 (that Davey recommended) and a small Android tablet and be set.

13. SKATTERBRANE

I do not mind spending $20 a month for Tidal, but I refuse to pay more for my cell phone service that a smart phone would require.

14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I feel your pain. But if it helps at all, the app on my iPhone works great through my OPPO 103. I have great internet and WiFi service at home; it rarely has a glitch.
    Plus, it sounds great!!!

15. Davey

I think we get that, but we are talking about a little tablet, maybe a 7", no phone service, no sim card, just a simple little handheld computer for running the control app ...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010FGJKWC/ref=psdc_1232597011_t2_B008M04V1E

Merrick, 500Homeruns and IronWaffle like this.
  16. 500Homeruns

Exactly. As long as the tablet and the Node are on the same network (home WIFI), it can control it easily. Plus, it is not like Bluetooth where you have to be close to the unit for it to work.
    To clarify again: Android tablet with no need for mobile data (Verizon, AT&T, Spint, etc.) connected to same WIFI network as network streamer.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    Davey likes this.
  17. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The onlyh two devices on the market that fit all your criteria but one, and that offer very good sound, and that also have a good built-in DAC, and that fit your budget, are the Sonos Connect and the Bluesound Node 2. However, the one criteria of yours that neither the Sonos nor the Bluesound accommodate is the presence of an LCD or OLED screen. The Sonos Connect and the Bluesound Node 2 are controlled through their respective (iOS or Android) tablet apps (which also work on an Apple iOS-based or Android-based smartphone).

The Cambridge CXN and the Marantz NA-8005 are terrific units that fit all your criteria but while they both include Spotify (but not Tidal) the CXN still requires the Spotify tablet or smartphone app for control. The displays on both units are very good and their remote controls are very good, and the units fit your budget. No Tidal though. Also, note that the CXN WiFi implementation has problems in some home environments. The Marantz is a better component all around, in my opinion.

The Naim UnitiQute 2 is a terrific unit that does everything you want - but - it's well over your budget. Same goes for the Simaudio Moon Neo ACE, which is maybe the best component of its kind on the market today, but is w-a-y over your budget.

Basically, the Sonos Connect and the Bluesound Node 2 are highly recommended. The Node 2 is definitely higher fidelity and definitely has a better DAC and offers compatibility with 24/192 files. The Sonos Connect tops out at 24/96 when wirelessly connected. But, you need an Apple or Android tablet or smartphone for control.

Sorry - a device that fits all your criteria including your budget just doesn't exist right now.

Ethernet connectivity for all the units mentioned in this post is flawless. Internet radio implementations are excellent. The tablet/smartphone apps are intuitively usable.

Davey likes this.
  18. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

You should expand your criteria. Like use a laptop. Or a cell phone+oppo.

19. Davey

Yea, seems pretty simple nowadays with tablets such a hot market, you can even pick up a decent new one at Walmart for under $35, RCA Voyager 7" 16GB Tablet Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) ... RCA Voyager 7" 16GB Tablet Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) - Walmart.com »

500Homeruns likes this.
  20. PMCH

PMCH Member

I like using Tidal and Pandora through my Oppo 105D. I only use the Oppo direct wired, never tried it via WiFi. I can control Tidal with my iPhone or iPad.

21. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

Um, get a cheap cell phone and just use the wifi on it = practically free. You can get a cell phone for 35 bucks that has free wifi.

What you're asking for is essentially unreasonable in this day and age and doesn't make any sense.

octaneTom and Robert C like this.
  22. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

I don't agree that SKATTERBRANE is unreasonable. S/he knows what they want and is looking for that which meets their specs.
    Now, we understand that most modern streamers have ditched their remotes as users were moving to do everything with their iPhone/smartphone; that is not what the OP would be interested in.

For what the OP is looking for, they may have to go back to some streamers a little bit older such as

23. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

There are many ways to go that meet your needs. I use a BlueSound Node2. I bought $75 tablet that I use as my control screen. No monthly fees as it is WiFi only. Since I do have a WiFi network in the house it can see the Internet.

24. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Router > Sonos bridge > Sonos Connect (wireless from bridge) > External DAC (potentially)

At least in the past Sonos had their own remote but IMO pointless now since a cheap tablet can be used.

Don't understand how YouTube can fit into this though, which was one of the requests.

25. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I think you should go to a hi-fi shop and use a bunch of streamers and find out why they're so useful but not in the way you're thinking. I don't think you fully understand what they're supposed to do. Why don't you want to operate it with a tablet/phone? Hunching over a tiny display screen scrolling through thousands of albums, navigating Spotify, or whatever else does not sound fun. You could put together a Raspberry Pi network streamer for less than £100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.