Looking for a Video Player for Kindle Fire HDX

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 8tracks, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict Thread Starter

I've spent a few hours with a new Kindle Fire HDX trying to find a decent video player, but can't find one that will do the following:

1) Plays M4V/MP4 files
    2) Features "Resume Playback"
    3) Maintains proper Aspect Ratio
    4) No Audio Sync Issues
    5) Ad free

I'm really surprised the built in player (in "Photos") will not ask to resume playback. It will always start the video for the beginning. Is there a setting for this I'm missing?

I've downloaded close to a dozen Video Player apps and none will give me the five features I've listed above. The closest I've found is "VidOn Player HD", but my videos have had an intolerable amount audio sync lag. There's a number of threads about this issue online including acknowledgements from the developer, but no one has mentioned this in the Amazon reviews.

Is anyone using a Kindle Fire HDX to watch videos they load on to the device? If so, what player are you using?

Thanks.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Kindle Fire devices have received terrible reviews for issues like this. Amazon has the problem of believing they're as good as Apple or Microsoft, but they always fall short. Pretty much all of these features work fine on an iPad, but it depends on where the streaming source is coming from.

8tracks and GuildX700 like this.
  3. 8tracks

I can't disagree with any of that. (Who wants a Fire Phone?)

I have many Apple devices in my house but went for a Kindle for two reasons:
    1. Price: $199 vs. $315 for 32GB device
    2. I feel constantly compelled to keep iOS devices updated and synced. A Kindle frees me of that.

Here's what I wanted from this device:
    Web Browser
    Ability to watch M4V/MP4 files while traveling/offline
    Dish Network App to watch my DVR from anywhere
    Netflix/Amazon Streaming
    Another Sonos controller around the house

My wife has a Kindle capable of everything above. I knew the built in video player, which to me looks and sounds great, either didn't automatically resume M4V/MP4 files when the viewing app was closed with a video in progress or was a feature setting I had not yet found. I never thought I wouldn't be able to find a different app to do this.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Oddly the "Silk" browser included with the Kindle will not play the videos on the amazon web site. You have use another browser, like Dolphin.

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

My sister has a Kindle. It rarely works for video playback. Usually we get the static grey screen, like an old television tuned to an empty channel.

6. 8tracks

ES File Explorer is my solution.

After more research I was about to Sideload the MX Player app. (Sideloading is installing an Android app downloaded from Google Play or another source outside of Amazon.) Before downloading the MX Player file I first needed to install ES File Explorer from the Amazon's Appstore in order to access and install MX Player. Inside ES File Explorer I could see the *.MP4 files on the Kindle had a "play" arrow icon. I clicked it and was given a list of every player on the device, with a new player at the top of the list named "ES Media Player", which I was able to set as the default. This player delivers all five options listed in the first post in this thread, yet not one of the top 20 or so reviews of this app touted the Media Player inside this app.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.