Looking For Inexpensive Floor Standing Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sons of nothing, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident Thread Starter

These will be attached to a Sony STR DH550 Receiver Amplifier.

The total listed wattage is 725 @145 watts per channel (5.2)
    The stats say it has an RMS of 90. I found the whole thing about matching the RMS of an amp and speakers
    a bit confusing.

I was looking at some Klipsch r26f that would run about 500 for the pair, but they seemed to be Best Buy Exclusive. These peak at 400w

I'll be playing mostly Rock/Metal. The volume tends to be consistent, but does spike from time to time (take Metallica's Fight Fire With Fire's explosion at the close)

I'd prefer new speakers, but will go with vintage if the price is right.

I'm looking to spend around 500 for the pair. Less is better. I've even looked at studio monitors.

I'll take bookshelf speaks if that is all that is the most compatible. Getting stands wont be an issue.

Eventually, I'd like to add at least a center, and possibly fill out the rest, using just one sub. I don't see
    two being needed.

The living room has a wooden floor, 30 by 13.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

2. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Its usually the case that you're better with more amplifier power than your speakers are rated for.

An amplifier thats running hard, could possibly end up clipping, running the risk of damaging the speakers.

If you go the other way, your amplifier will be running well within it's limits and you'll typically find that it's your ears that tell you that Metallica is loud enough and not the amplifier or speakers that are struggling.

3. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

4. DLD

DLD Senior Member

5. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

I wound up going with the Polk TSx330t in black An employee came by, asking if I needed help. I told him I needed the RMS, so he tells me the MSRP. After I explained, what little I knew about the RMS, he walked away! Thankfully someone knowledgeable came around, and even hooked up a cd player so I could spin some test tunes. 400 for the pair Frye's with similar specs to the Polk RTI 10's.

Eventually there will be a sub hooked up.

They sounded nice with the metal. Now to break em in.

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Pity you passed up on those Klipschs:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.