Looking for new ipod

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by greelywinger, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey471

Mikey471 Forum Resident

I was very interested in the announcement yesterday from Seagate, they have developed a 500gb 2.5 inch hard drive for use in Android tablets. If Android on board storage suddenly jumps massively above that held on Apple devices I would think that Apple would have to act too.

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Nope, not part of Apple's strategy. Just because Windows tablets have USB doesn't mean you should expect to see that connection show up on an iPad.

3. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Apple has started to snooze and will soon lose, for what I wanted them to deliver in a 250 gig plus capacity i-Pod or i-Pad, that can travel with ease!
    Streaming music is fine for home, but not for trying to work with professionally, on the road!

I'm checking into the Cowen and Seagate options that have been mentioned in this thread and I'm all ears to any other options that do NOT involve streaming!

4. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

Take a look at the Sansa Clip Zip. With Rockbox installed and a 64gb microSD card, this comes to about $150 total. It's a great player for the price.

5. Mikey471

Mikey471 Forum Resident

Shame that, because as soon as there's an Android or Windows device (7 inch tablet or phone) with 240gb+ of on board storage at a reasonable price then it's goodbye iPod as far as I'm concerned.

6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Why won't APPLE get their creative heads out of the "cloud" and make one of these themselves?

7. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I think it's this end of life for the hard drive based iPod. When inventories are empty, I would not expect a follow up from Apple. I rarely use my 60-gig iPod now.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Because they are a business and probably don't feel like wasting resources to capture the 0.1% of the market that needs a 240GB tablet?

9. ZeroCrossing

ZeroCrossing New Member

Yep. There are very few people who want a dedicated DAP these days, and even fewer looking for the ultra-high capacity. I agree that Apple should be upping the solid state memory, but in my case I was just hoping for the "standard" iPhone to now be 32 GB for the same price as 16 GB (which should have happened a long time ago IMO).

That said, I do like Apple's cloud approach and understand why they aren't that interested in hard drive space. I am a happy user of iTunes Match, and I have all my music on my iPhone, iPad and stereo system (via Apple TV) at all times, not even needing to store it all locally. I don't mind 256 Kbps AAC because I can't hear a difference anyway based on my own blind tests.

10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia Thread Starter

Not a fan of the cloud.
    Still waiting for the touch to go to 128 GB.
    Have considered 160 GB classic as my second option.
    Don't want to buy a 64 GB touch, then a few months later they bring the 128 GB out.

Darryl

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Easy answer: Go slightly up from an iPad high end model to a MacBook Air.

12. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Darryl, all I can say is don't buy a device that has a hard drive. You drop it, the hard drive breaks easily especially if it's playing at the time.

Personally, I have a Sansa Zip Clip which has 16GB with an expansion port. I upgraded mine with an extra 32GB sd card. All the storage you're likely to need, plus no worries about failing hard drives.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was very resistant to The Cloud for a long time, but since I just upgraded my Mac a few weeks ago, I opted to go ahead and try it with one of my smaller libraries. Much to my surprise, it worked fine, though it took forever to get 120GB of music uploaded to iTunes Match:
    [​IMG]

I have every Beatles album (mono and stereo), every Beach Boys album (ditto), every ELO album, every Carpenters album, tons of Chicago, Eagles, solo Beatles, and a ton of other groups, plus a pot-pourri of hits from 1960-1985. More than enough to keep me entertained for a few days (actually 577 hours). As long as a I have a reasonable internet connection, I can play this stuff anywhere.

As nearly as I can figure it, since all my stuff was 320kbps AAC to begin with, nothing got replaced with lower-quality rips, so it's pretty much all my own songs, my own playlists, and my own artwork. One thing that surprised me is that the response time is very fast: within 1 second of hitting the button, the song comes up. How do it know?

So basically, for the $30/year that Apple charges for iTunes Match, I've added another 120GB of music storage to all my portable devices that have internet connections. To me, that's not a bad deal. My only concerns were sound quality and not getting anything replaced with crappier files, and so far, the sound quality is great and all the files are my files.

Claxton, "R" Ed and mj_patrick like this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I really dislike the music app on the iPhone and iPad so iTunes match won't really work for me. I also have a lot of music that isn't in iTunes. Just in the last week, I've ripped a 7 disc box and 2 single disc albums that aren't in iTunes.

15. greelywinger

This is one of the reasons I don't like the cloud.
    Just another reason for Apple to get more of my money.
    I think I'll just go ahead & get the 160 GB classic.
    Been seeing them used locally for $120-140.
    I recently got an iPad that does most of the stuff I would've needed a touch for.

Darryl

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Tell me the downside. This cost me $29. Who cares? That's far cheaper than an upgraded iPod (let alone five of them) would've cost.

I already own three 160GB iPod Classics with other libraries.

17. greelywinger

I'm on a tight budget.
    One of the reasons it's taken me so long to upgrade my iPod.
    BTW, the iPad was a gift from my in-laws.

Darryl

18. allnoyz

allnoyz Forum Resident

Anything can break if you drop it.

Just get a nice protective case. I dropped my Touch once a couple of years ago, but I always keep it in a leather folio style case, and it suffered no issues. And to this day it still doesn't have a scratch anywhere on it. And that's with no screen protector.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  19. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Got fed up of carrying two devices. A 32gb Touch and my smartphone which is one of those S4 clones that's progressively driven me up the wall.

Passed the new 3 store on Edinburgh's Princes Street yesterday and eyeballed the new Sony Xperia Z1 Compact. At least a proper smartphone that's not so big it could replace your TV and sounds bloody great. Expandable memory up to 128gb sd cards too.

I installed Spotify and off I went. Job done. It's the way to go these days for me. Most important though was sound quality and effectively being a Walkman you're on a winner.

20. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

I haven't had a HD failure yet on an iPod, but if it did go, then I would look into replacing the HD with a 64GB/128GB compact flash drive.

21. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The downside for me is...it doesn't work very well over Cellular. I signed up for it to use in my car. Drops in and out constantly. Blame it on Verizon (who are very strong in my area), or blame it on Apple. Either way...it just doesn't work unless it's wi-fi. I'm not going to renew. Also, the 25,000 song limit is ridiculous IMO. Amazon's cloud player has a limit of 100,000.

22. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

Hmmm. My wife and I gave our old iPhone 3S's to our four year-old twins so that they could listen to music in their bedrooms at night. We're always running into storage issues and periodically, one or both kids will want to listen to something that's not present on their iPhone. I wonder if this would solve our problems, since I have our entire music library stored on a ReadyNAS.

23. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

There are also various mSATA SSD mods, which currently top at 480 GB. I've kept an old 5.5G 80 GB iPod Video for the purpose of doing this mod one day, when the prices come down a bit.

Geithals likes this.
  24. ganma

ganma Senior Member

25. greelywinger

I would hardly use the cellphone part of an iPhone.

Darryl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.