Looking for RCA Interconnect Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

Ok. No problem. So why don't you sell them and just get some red and white RCA's? Makes no sense to keep such expensive cables...you're just throwing your money away....get some nice Monoprice cables. here ya go...just remove the yellow and you are all sethttps://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10241&cs_id=1024101&p_id=6026&seq=1&format=2!

2. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Use the yellow connector for a sub hehe, just put an extender on it

Tullman likes this.
  3. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is what I wanted when I first borrowed some FMS speaker cable, to not hear any difference between the inexpensive Radio Shack speaker cable I was using. Unfortunately, the FMS cable was so much better I immediately bought the FMS cable. You are blessed not being able to hear any difference, now you can spend money on music instead.

screener likes this.
  5. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

I was given some very expensive GALE bi wire full copper cable yesterday, what im using at the mo is cheap stuff from ebay only 2 quid a meter, ill try this cable out on my wharfedales but i suspect i wont hear much difference if any

6. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

yes, the expensive 600$ ill be selling, the 300 IC's were loans. but the analysis at 100$, kimber hero at 100$ im keeping, they look cool and not too pricey. but yeah, I was dissapointed to not hear a single obvious difference between any cables. oh well, more power to those who do hear a difference :)

7. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

I've got a iFI MICRO DSD DAC /amp with the IFI 2.0 USB Power and it's all driving a pair of Denon AH-D600 over ear headphones. The cable I use to connect the DAC and 2.0 USB power is a wire world starlight 7 usb cable or a double headed USB Neutral cable. I can clearly hear the difference between the two. And if I connect that system to the main rig with a pair of Analysis Plus Solo Crystal cable RCA,s or a pair of Wireworld Silver Eclipes 7 RCA's and listen through speakers....I can still hear the difference. Sorry you can't.

saturdayboy likes this.
  8. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

Well ive tested many many rca cables on a scope output, and theyre pretty much all the same i also dont hear any difference, more expensive cables are for durability over sound, of course marketing will say different, if you plug one in and leave it alone cheaper cables will do the job just the same, on the road gig cables need to be stronger

Gie663 and Hubert jan like this.
  9. POE_UK

POE_UK Forum Resident

A very simple thing to do is add a 8x2 set of acoustic tiles to your back wall, the difference is amazing.

10. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

These days I recommend Fisual. Cheaper and excellent. And the auto predict's a fair bit better too...!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  11. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

I spoke with Grover, I may have to get some of his lower cost rcd's.

Dave likes this.
  12. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I have to retract my test and conclusions
    Ive been informed that my test was invalid due to how my headphone amp/pre amp, the ifi pro ican, works:.ifi audio confirmed " This sort of interconnect comparison is unlikely to result in an audible difference, since the switching on your headphone amp most likely only switches between the hot leads of each input. So the ground paths of both will be in parallel all the time, rendering the test invalid."

I really feel like a dummy, ever since my test, I was certain that cables didnt make any differences, but my test was invalid since the grounds were running in parallel.
    Just compared my AQ water vs my Analysis plus ova one and I do seem to hear more information, more ambiance, better soundstage on the AQ water on my Harbeth SHL5+. the AQ water stays.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Ham Sandwich likes this.
  13. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That complicates things. I just got a Liquid Glass, in addition to my Liquid Fire. The Liquid Glass has two inputs and is switchable between the two inputs. My Gumby MB has two pairs of RCA outputs. I was thinking, now that I have this kit I can more easily compare interconnects. That seems not to be. I'm assuming the Liquid Glass would have the same issue as your ifi Pro iCan amp in doing that sort of cable comparison.

I wonder if I had two identical Gumby DACs if I could do a cable comparison. One Gumby connected with cable A to input 1 on the amp. One Gumby connected with cable B to input 2 on the amp. Then switch inputs on the amp. Would that separate the grounds paths enough to have a valid cable comparison?

14. Doug Mclaughlin

Doug Mclaughlin New Member

Hoping this is a good venue for this question...and be gentle, I’m a newb. I’ve taken my first step into upgrading cables. Recently purchased some Kimber Hero’s to replace some old monster interconnects between my phono stage and a set of Kef LS50 powered speakers. Have only had the cables a few days. I definitely hear a difference...but honestly in the reverse of what I had hoped. The Hero’s sound flat and don’t offer some of the detail my monsters do. I understand that Hero’s might benefit from break in time...but I didn’t expect to be disappointed from the onset. Just wondering if the payoff will reveal itself in time or I should return them. I know the cable debate is a charged one. Interested in hearing from those who have experience with the Kimber Hero’s and if their experience was similar in being a bit underwhelmed at first but being happy in the end.

15. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Agreed, go with the Grover.

16. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Having all of your gear listed in your profile will give everyone a better point of reference from which to offer opinions or advice.

macster likes this.
  17. Doug Mclaughlin

Took a stab at it. The cable is connecting a Lehman Black Cube SE Phono Stage to the KEFLS50W’s. The amp is internal to the speakers. Turntable is a Clearaudio Concept.

18. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I have to say that I would not have guessed the outcome that you describe. But here is what I believe. 1) That cables matter. 2) That if one is a cable believer that it has to be accepted that it goes both ways, sometimes good and sometimes not so good. 3) That it's system dependant. Just because something is good in one system doesn't mean it has to be in all systems. 4) That break in does matter. But for my personal experience if a cord or cable didn't impress me one way or the other right out of the gate, it probably isn't going to later either. Of course and as always, this is all IMHO. Not looking to start a fire storm.

robertash and timind like this.
  19. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

20. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I have a pair of 1M Kimber Hero's on my main system. I have compared them to Monster, Tributaries, and and a pair of teflon-coated pure silver interconnects I had made, and I don't hear a difference amonst any of them.

21. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

It's a pity we can't see the rest of your gear to better understand your point of reference.

22. Doug Mclaughlin

This all seems reasonable to me. Thanks for the input

timztunz likes this.
  23. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

See my profile page

24. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

I can’t. It says you limit who can view your profile and apparently I don’t qualify.

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

The info you seek is listed in post #22 of this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.