Looking for the best single disc James Brown comp, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Pumphrey, Jul 24, 2017.

1. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

Astoundingly good. Wish it was on vinyl. Most of those mixes never made it to wax.
    The Give It Up Or Turn It A Loose mix is way better than the In The Jungle Groove one.

Rfreeman likes this.
  2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

Yep, have 'em both. Love Peace Power is of course the essential live companion piece.

HappyFingers likes this.
  3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Forum Resident

Ahem, err, yeah. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

:D

So you'd still take Star Time over the individual Polydor compilations, cool.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  4. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

If you want to make a purchase that will be a waste once you get all the other stuff. That's why I suggested a 1 disc comp that is wall to wall greatness from his funkiest band and isn't going to be redundant. :)

SOONERFAN likes this.
  5. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Star Time has the best mastering IMHO and is a more concise set than those Polydor comps. Those Polydor sets are great for the extended versions and other stuff not on Star Time. Again, its that whole rabbit hole thing. Given you are trying to avoid that, Star Time is clearly the best option if you ask me.

6. Panama Hotel

Panama Hotel Forum Resident

I have The Best of James Brown on Polydor, PD-1-6340. It was the only way I could find a clean copy of "There Was A Time." (A personal favorite of mine, along with James' version of "How Do You Stop", on Gravity.)

Single LP, 11 of his best. Amazon is featuring a seller advertising an LP in new sealed condition for an astounding amount of money- $270, for a greatest hits compilation from the 1980s. For that price, it had better be in new condition. fwiw, Discogs has copies advertised as M- for around 1/10 the money. CD copies are considerably more reasonably priced.

The JBs instrumental records are well worth hunting up, too.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Forum Resident

Great, thank you. :)

I suppose a topic of another thread could be, what other great James Brown tracks are here, typically not on any compilation. I checked those Polydor releases, and The Boss isn't there either!