Looney Tooney DVD's

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Grabbed the 4 disc Looney Tooneys dvd's at Best Buy on the way home from work; quick watch of the Bugs Bunny disc looks promising - vivid reds and greens (the red background on the Blue Ribbon titles is REALLY RED). They aren't scraped spotlessly clean like Snow White was. Sounds like the highs were filtered/denoised - punching in the treble control on my Adcom preamp and jiggling the knob revealed the highs to be nonexistant on The Rabbit of Seville. Gotta go watch some more! :thumbsup:

2. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Cool, I was just going to post a request for some reviews. I was briefly in Wal-Mart today, where the price was $42 and change, but I didn't pull the trigger as I was in a rush and the lines were looooonnnnggggg.

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I just picked mine up. Going to crack it open now!

4. bartels76

Ummm..how do I get this to play in widescreen?

Is there widescreen?

:confused: :help:

5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

I believe they should all be 1:33.

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Circuit City had it on sale at $49. Retail is $59. How's the rest of the retail world looking?

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Media Play is $49 too.

Best Buy was $54.

Tower was $112. Just kidding.

8. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

They look great. I watched several cartoons now and scanned through the discs somewhat. The only few that look not-so-good are the first couple on the Bugs DVD. They are overly sharpened. Other than that they look great. Very nice job. Nice selection too.

9. bartels76

I price matched at Best Buy w/ Target's $ 45.99 price.

Why isn't this is in widescreen? These were in the movie theatres 50 years ago on a WIDESCREEN. I don't get it!

10. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

I let others speak more knowdgle then me, but very few WB cartoons were in widescreen.

11. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

If they were shown as widescreen you'd actually be cutting off a lot of picture on the top and bottom. They were filmed in 1.33:1 (full screen).

12. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Now let's get going on the Tex Avery MGM shorts!

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

In fact, NO WB cartoons were ever filmed in 'Scope.

14. bartels76

OH! Thanks for clearing that up.

15. bartels76

MGM still haven't released the Ted healy/3 Stooges shorts from MGM! Their vaults are locked up. It's a shame.

16. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

Speaking of Tex.. There is an interesting post on animationblast.com that follows:

French Enjoy The Real Tex Avery. While in the United States, our DVD releases consist of crappy DIC cartoons which bastardize Tex Avery's name (see yesterday's news), cartoon aficionados in France are getting a five-DVD set in December of Tex Avery's MGM cartoons. The only oddity with their release (and this is assuming the French website's listing is correct) is that the DVDs have all of Tex's MGM output from 1942-1955 except for the final three cartoons he directed there, but they also include three of the four cartoons he directed immediately afterwards at Walter Lantz Studios (I'M COLD, CRAZY MIXED-UP PUP and THE LEGEND OF ROCKABYE POINT). The set also includes a 2-hour documentary by French animation scholar Patrick Brion. If I actually owned a DVD player, this is one set I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

There is a link that goes to the french site-
    http://www.dvdnet-fr.com/lire-news-dvd-564.html

Thats just about worth getting an allregion player for...

17. indy mike

Whooooooooooooooo - the bonus material is really good, folks - buy this thang NOW!!!!

18. indy mike

Be patient - that French set is from the Laserdisc transfers - the real deal ala the Looney Toons set has been hinted as being in the works by a friendly animation historian - he can't spill the beans, but Tom and Jerry are a definite event next year, and Tex will most likely get the same treatment...

19. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Awesome news.... love live Tex!

20. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

My Wal Mart has it for $38.97. That's as low as I've seen it.

21. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If you are a member of either warehouse club, I believe both Sam's and Costco have it for less than $40.

I watched the third disc last night. It looked spectacular. The audio varies from short to short. A good number of them sound like they had some sort of noise reduction applied while others (e.g. Feed the Kitty) have a lot of noticeable background hiss. I wonder if it was related to the audio source, i.e. if all they had was an optical track, they processed it, but if they had a mag track they left it pretty much as is. I know very little about the audio production for these shorts, so the above is based on nothing but speculation.

Regards,

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Beautiful, just beautiful!

And that's just from seeing about 2/3 of the first disc, and a few of the extras.

Can't wait to stretch out with this one over the weekend.

23. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Are any of the cartoons edited (censored)?

24. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The packaging says Uncut. So far it looks like they have been left alone.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I've seen multiple characters putting guns to their heads (e.g. the gags at the end of "Ballot Box Bunny" and "Tortoise Wins by a Hare"), which tends to get cut out of recent broadcast versions. So far so good.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.