"Looney Tunes DVD Vexes Fans"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Oct 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

2. Joe D.

Joe D. Forum Resident

Great choices.

I was hoping for "A Wild Hare" on the first DVD!

Joe

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

with the original title card!

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Daffy Duck & Porky Pig

Porky in Wackyland
    Porky's Preview
    Book Revue
    The Great Piggy Bank Robbery
    Baby Bottleneck
    Robin Hood Daffy
    Along Came Daffy
    Daffy Doodles
    You Ought to be in Pictures
    Porky's Duck Hunt
    My Little Duckaroo
    Daffy Duck Hunt
    Stupor Duck
    Design for Leaving

Okay, now which of these titles did I forget is already on the Golden Collection. :)

Regards,

5. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

My first one too. Second was "Duck Dodgers."

Indubitaboobaly, sir.

6. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

I agree with you Michael - these releases on DVD are going to be too infrequent for them to get into the meat of the catalog. But I'm not complaining - I'm so grateful that they have released this first set.

Ken, you Daffy/Porly selection is the cream of the crop - I really hope they get more of those mid-40s Clampett cartoons released next time around. Baby Bottleneck is one of my all-time favourite cartoons.

I personally can't see what all the fuss is about "What's Opera Doc?". I actually think it's a rather awful and pretentious cartoon. It pushed the Chuck Jones stylisation of the Bugs and Elmer characters to unhealthy extremes.

7. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

From the Digital Bits web site today, a small update:

Around the horn today, there's an interesting AP story up over at Excite on Warner's new Looney Tunes Golden Collection. It seems some folks out there aren't happy with the selection of shorts on the set. Warner's response? Chill out... you'll get the ones you want eventually. We can verify that it's taking the studio a long time to properly restore all 1,100 of their Looney Tunes shorts. The plan is to release a new collection of 60 every year, hopefully until they're all out. Of course, that means it will take 18 years to get them all on DVD. With any luck, the studio will pick up the pace a little as they go. We're guessing that if sales of this first batch are good, they'll get a LOT more enthusiastic about Looney Tunes on DVD in the future. Thanks to all you readers who sent this in.

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

None of 'em, although of course Robin Hood Daffy has been included as an extra on the Adventures of Robin Hood SE.

What, no Porky Pig's Feat or My Favorite Duck?

9. Paul C.

Paul C. Senior Member

Hey, is the Robin Hood spoof with Bugs on the new DVD collection? It's one of the finest cartoons that Jones did with Bugs, IMO. It might have been called Rabbit Hood. "King's carrots....?"

10. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

What about "A to ZZZZ" - the one where the boy daydreams in class.

One of my favorites!

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Not on the box set, but also a bonus with the WB Robin Hood DVD.

Being halfway through the second disc of the set, my biggest complaint is I wish there were more Daffy and less Porky...he's never been one of my favorites, personally.

Oh, that and the layer change on disc one comes in the middle of "Rabbit Of Seville", causing my player to pause for a second in the middle of the cartoon. Minor quibble.
    :rolleyes:

12. stereoptic

Ralph Phillips - also starred in "Boyhood Daze" - let's all stare out the window now

13. Ken_McAlinden

Hey! I have both Ralph Phillips shorts slated for my discs three and four line-ups. :)

14. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

I got mine yesterday!:thumbsup: :cool: Watched most of the 4th DVD last night including the documentary.

Ok Looney fanatics, pardon my ignorance. One of my favorite Bugs cartoons has Bugs torturing an arrogant opera tenor, culminating with the Hollywood Bowl crumbling on the poor singer. What's the name of the toon and is it on this set (please please please be 'yes' )?:)
    One of the funniest scenes for me is when Bugs puts on a gray wig, coat and tails and smugly walks up he aisle, obviously mimicking the great conductor Stowkowski. Voices from the stunned and thrilled audience gasp "Leopold!":laugh:
    Dan C

15. Ken_McAlinden

Long-Haired Hare. It's the third cartoon on disc one. :thumbsup:

It also includes a commentary, IIRC.

Regards,

16. reechie

reechie Senior Member

FIGARO! FIGARO! FIGARO! FIGARO! FIGARO! FIGARO! FIGARO!

17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

That's great! Thanks guys. :thumbsup: I'd watch it right now but I'm already late for work. :eek:
    Dan C

18. duse

duse Senior Member

Question. The original post with the MSNBC link refers to one of the absent shorts that was missed by the public as What's Opera Doc, when Ken lists it as being on the disc. Why is that?

19. Ken_McAlinden

I listed my "dream line-up" for the next disc set. You have confused my "vaporware" list with the real thing.

Regards,

20. duse

duse Senior Member

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I'm going to pick this up today. Sorry about that.

21. stereoptic

What do they do on a rainy night in Rio? (a rookie tookie too)
    Oh what do they do when there is no starry sky? (oh starring sky)
    Where do they go when they can't go for a walk?
    Do they stay home and talk?
    or do they sit and sigh igh igh?
    What do they do in the city, when nights get drippy?
    And what do they do in Tijuana when they wanna snuggle tight?

22. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Here's an interesting anecdote about the box from Mark Evanier's great web page and blog: http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2003_10_28.html#003221

Oops!  05:52 PM

I haven't seen the new Looney Tunes DVD yet but a reader named "Booksteve" informs me that the documentary narrated by Stan Freberg and included on the DVD has an error in it. There's a photo of voice actress Bea Benaderet, he says, that is identified as June Foray.

Booksteve writes, "Stan should be incensed!" He's right. A few years ago, the Rhino Records people put out a boxed set of comedy CDs that included one of the records that Stan did with his sometimes-sidekick, Daws Butler. In the accompanying booklet, there was a photo of Daws identified as Stan. Mr. Freberg says he called Rhino and told them about it and the response was, "Are you sure?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.