"Looney Tunes Platinum Collection: Vol. 2" coming to blu-ray 10/16/12!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung Forum Resident Thread Starter

Classic animation fans rejoice!!! The second volume of Warner Brothers vintage cartoons featuring Bugs Bunny and company is being released on high definition blu-ray from Warner Home Video on October 16th. The 3-disc set will include 50 complete vintage shorts on discs 1 & 2, while disc 3 will contain bonus documentaries on Looney Tunes directors Tex Avery and Friz Freleng and producer Leon Schlesinger, along with mini-docs about the "Private Snafu" WW2 cartoon series and Avery's years at MGM Studios!!! This bonus disc will be available ONLY on the blu-ray edition and NOT the DVD!!! :edthumbs:

2. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Any list of the included cartoons?

Didn't buy blu-ray set #1 as I'm tired of WB forcing us to pay for the same cartoons over and over.

I wish they'd release the films like Sony did with the Three Stooges - in yearly collections.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

5. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

New to DVD/Blu-ray:

Birdy and the Beast
    Hare-Um Scare-Um
    The High and the Flighty
    Home Tweet Home
    A Horsefly Fleas
    The Lion's Busy
    Porky's Hare Hunt
    Prest-O Change-O
    Strife With Father
    What Makes Daffy Duck?

New extras:
    King-Size Comedy: Tex Avery and the Looney Tunes Revolution
    Tex Avery, the King of Cartoons
    The Best of the Rest of Tex

6. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

It should be free?

7. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

If you didn't buy it, how were you "forced"?

8. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

What is the concensus in Vol 1?

9. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The cartoons look amazing in HD. They haven't been digitally scrubbed like the Disney stuff so they still actually look like film. A few of the elements are showing their age but I was very impressed by the set as a whole :)

10. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

OK, obviously nobody is forcing me to buy these collections, yet WB continues releasing the same cartoons over and over on home video, but they refuse to release lesser-known titles.

So, if you want to get a handful of cartoons you don't have in your collection, you need to buy them along with other cartoons WB has released many times in the past.

I'm a fan of Warner Bros. cartoons and have bought every home video release on VHS (80's), LD (90's), and DVD (2000's) (except the last few collections in fake widescreen).

WB has released celebrated films like "What's Opera, Doc?" in every format, so I've bought it at least *five* times before. (They put it on three different VHS tapes [including two in the same series!], laserdisc, and DVD.)

As a fan, in every format era, I have hoped WB would release every one of their cartoons.

Yet they never do. They just start over, reissuing title again and again in whatever format is popular at the time.

Where are the B&W Clampett Porky Pig cartoons? Or the censored cartoons that WB has conveniently swept under the rug? (And there a lot more than just the infamous 11.)

What about lesser-known Bugs Bunny films like "Wet Hare"? It's not a Chuck Jones effort, so it's never been released in any format - even though it's better than many of Jones' later-period cartoons.

Another problem with the cherry-picking WB does with its releases are the first few collections have all the celebrated cartoons.

But by the time they get a few sets done, they start running out of the top-tier stuff and need to dedicate discs to lesser characters like Speedy Gonzales.

I just wish Warner's would finish something they start, and maybe release every last MM & LT cartoon before the next home video format comes along and they start over...

Reader and Dr. Pepper like this.
  11. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Understood. Maybe folks should start voicing their opinions by keeping their wallets closed.

12. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

This is what I'm doing with the blu-ray sets.

I'd love to see the cartoons in high-def, but not in the same piece-meal way WB keeps releasing them.

Put them out in yearly sets, in chronological order.

Make it a subscription service if necessary, but just assure us that the whole thing will come out.

13. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

+1 Oh yeah I would love to get all of these old classic cartoon series. Get all of the old Warner Brothers, M-G-M and Walt Disney cartoon shorts. It is so confusing. Just do a complete set in chronological order. I would love to get the complete series.:)

14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I would like to see some of the 1960's Looney Tunes shorts with the bossa nova soundtracks and the space-age influenced animation.

15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

It would be amazing if that full ending to hare-um scare-um could be included. But then again, how would they get us to purchase the cartoon again in 10 years?

The only reason I bought the Tom and Jerry BR set was it wasn't another patchwork collection like this - it was well organized, chronologically.
    When the other animation franchises start doing this, I will buy them in a heartbeat.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

17. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I agree with all the sentiment shared above. I bought the Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Vol. 1 on Blu-Ray, it is outstanding and how things should be done. When the other animation series follow this pattern, I'll be on board. Until then, I'll speak with my wallet- I'm not buying these compilations.

18. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

This is the best one they did so far in terms of not including many so so filler
    sure there some,But Overall mostly great stuff
    Strange instead of giving us a disc of Warner Avery stuff,they are giving us
    MGM stuff in a Looney Tunes Collection

19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

"Just do a complete set in chronological order. I would love to get the complete series."

They never did this,and Don't seem to want to,They Feel(I think)no one would want
    the early stuff without Bugs and Daffy,and The fact that they will never release
    the 11 ,makes a complete set out of the Question,

They claimed they need time to remaster all the cartoons,and that's why we have
    these collections the way we have them

But while the toons look fantastic ,they never gave us Blue ray till long after they
    started doing Blue Ray,and gave us a bunch of dvd sets with a lot of lesser toons
    on every set,and Now are repacking these on Blue Ray,at least this set is nearly
    alll great,even if their Crappy Art dept seems to come out with covers even
    worst than the dvd sets

20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

There are 1000 titles in this catalog; there is no one way to release them that will please everybody.

Chronological collections work for historian/enthusiasts like me, but even I enjoy these much more if I see a mixed presentation. Not taking WHV's side by a long shot; there have been too many miscues and broken promises in this cartoon reissue series. But the restorations are spectacular, and they have tinkered with different presentations to see what sticks: chronological Roadrunner, character themes, director themes, "theme" themes etc. The Censored 11 aren't here yet obviously, but are routinely considered by the good observance of historian/consultant Jerry Beck. And even then, several toons with "banned" images have been quietly released in the boxes.

Sure, I'd buy a complete chronological collection. So me and a dozen other fanatics are all-in. But if you think the public at large will buy Bosko & Buddy in sufficient numbers to keep the restorations and reissues flowing, you are living in Dreamland (sorry for the Fleischer reference).

It might be corporate spin, but the Looney Tunes aren't selling up to expectations. The 5th and 6th DVD boxes – the ones with the most unique, lesser-seen content – have been the worst sellers. Add that to the reality of a crap economy (that might never get back to what it once was) and the high cost to restore these shorts, and the solution as to how to get the most out of these sort-of-popular motion pictures is not remotely clear.

I don't disagree with vote-with-your-wallet, but for this particular art form, which has never gotten its critical due, it seems to me that if WHV sees sales droop again for the Blurays (and who knows how long that format will last?), they'll probably figure no one wants 'em, why bother restoring them.

For my part, I've bought most of them. I've laid off the recent individual character discs for now, too many double-dips. But I did buy the discounted Bluray linked above (all gone now!). Thanks MYKE.

Don't have a BD player, however... :help:

21. Goratrix

Goratrix Well-Known Member

Of course there is. Downloads. Put them on iTunes or in their own shop so that everyone can choose what they want, and completists can buy the whole set.

This is just another case of the industry being completely out of touch with the times. There is even a 60 GB torrent out there in pirate-land with the full collection pulled from various sources.

22. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

^ Yup. But the talk so far has centered around burn-to-DVDR as product. I'm guessing they don't want to invest in restorations (speculated to cost $10,000 each), hope to sell four at a few bucks per title, then see them on the torrent sites for nothing.

Plus, a large part of the customer base for these are parents who are too busy to unravel downloads or work with a burn-on-demand website; they just want to pick up a package at Walmart and be done with it.

Too many variables.

The market for these things may be shrinking in any event. Like everything else.

23. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Cool. Just bought Volume 1 via the link in a previous post. I have all the Golden Collection sets so I never bothered before with the Blu Ray. Looking forward to another Looney Marathon.

Pat

24. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I agree that Joe & Jane Sixpack wouldn't have any use for the early B&W cartoons, but there's a way to get all of the WB cartoons released for those of us who want them:

One massive boxed set.

The recent Dark Shadows 131-disc coffin box contains 1225 23-minute episodes, which is about triple the length of what a WB cartoon set would be.

A complete WB cartoon collection box would therefore need about 40 to 45 discs to be all-encompassing.

And with some creative packaging (say a giant cardboard anvil to hold all the discs), you would get all the cartoons out to the fans - at a price point that would ensure the Sixpack family not to be "shocked" at the questionable cartoons as they'd never buy something like this.

A complete WB cartoon box would generate some buzz, and since the Dark Shadows coffin completely sold out its initial edition, it proves there is a market for mega sets. I bet a WB "anvil" would be very successful.

As for the cost of restoring the cartoons first, I say release what you've got as they are now.

The final Golden Collection DVD box had a bunch of unrestored cartoons as bonus content. They didn't look too bad. So if it means needing to watch a film with some scratches on it, why not?

Just get all of the cartoons out.

And a big boxed set is the way to do it.

25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Is this offered by amazon yet? I can't seem to find it there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.