"Looney Tunes Platinum Collection: Vol. 2" coming to blu-ray 10/16/12!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lukejosephchung, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

2. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

You might have a point there. I personally dislike big gimmicky packages, but I certainly acknowledge the marketability.

But I'll have to disagree with unleashing them unrestored. If such a go-for-broke box is to be a success, good-looking product is a must. Half of those unrestored 'bonus' toons were plain unacceptable; no excuse for a classic 1940s Sylvester ("Hippety Hopper") to be distributed in shabby shape.

I'm not sure I would pull the trigger for a box with dozens of key titles poorly presented. Maybe if ALL the 40s and 50s, and selected 30s titles, get a proper restoration, I could see this.

Just out of curiosity, what would you pay for the box you described? Or the more-restored box I described?

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

4. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Jerry Beck has confirmed that "Hare-Um Scare-Um" will have the full original ending :D

5. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

First of all, of course restored cartoons are preferable to unrestored ones.

But if the cost of restoring the cartoons is the overwhelming concern for WB, then they should go with what they can.

Using the Dark Shadows coffin box as a benchmark, a set with 40-45 discs should retail for about $250 - $300. The street price at Amazon would be less, say $185 - $240. (Blu-ray would be a bit more expensive.)

The current blu-ray collections are nice samplers of the films in high-def, yet based on WB's track record, they will not be part of an all-inclusive series.

As someone who has supported WB with her hard-earned cash, often buying compilations just to get one or two unique cartoon on it, I just can't bring myself to support these new blu-rays (although Amazon's newly-discounted price for the first collection is tempting me).

6. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Have the cartoons in this collection been molested?

Are the cartoons the original full-length?

7. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Animation expert and megafan Jerry Beck is involved in these sets, so you can guarantee that all of the cartoons will be restored to their original length without any PC censorship.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sure. Remember back when EMI released that great 5.1 of Tull's Aqualung alongside 2 CD's, a massive book, vinyl and charged over a hundred-thirty dollars for it? And EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD bought a copy, because they were so affordable? Yeah...good times...:rolleyes:

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Jenna (Witts) - Blinded

9. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

While the Looney Tunes blu-ray sets are mostly recompilations of the Golden Collection sets, WB is releasing a new Porky Pig disc that will feature 18 cartoons, with 16 new to DVD (including five never before released on home video!).

"Porky and Friends: Hilarious Ham" comes out on November 6, and it's got some great Porky & Daffy team-ups, not to mention a couple of Elmer vehicles that rarely get exposure.

Another fun aspect of this set is that Bob McKimson and Art Davis are nicely represented - it's not all Chuck Jones and Friz Freleng.

The 60's cartoons here aren't the best, but "Corn on the Cop" is the final time Porky Pig was used by the studio, so I guess that's a rather historic cartoon (and it's better than the insufferable Daffy & Speedy cartoons of the era).

This looks like a pretty decent collection!

1. Tom Turk and Daffy (2/12/1944 - Chuck Jones) [Porky & Daffy] *New To DVD*
    2. Wagon Heels (7/28/1945 - Robert Clampett) [Porky]
    3. Mouse Menace (11/2/1946 - Arthur Davis) [Porky] *New To DVD*
    4. One Meat Brawl (1/18/1947 - Robert McKimson) [Porky] *New To DVD*
    5. The Pest That Came to Dinner (9/11/1948 - Arthur Davis) [Porky] *New To DVD*
    6. Riff Raff Daffy (11/7/1948 - Arthur Davis) [Porky & Daffy] *New To DVD*
    7. Curtain Razor (5/21/1949 - Friz Freleng) [Porky] *New To DVD*
    8. Boobs In The Woods (1/28/1950 - Robert McKimson) [Porky & Daffy]
    9. Corn Plastered (3/3/1951 - Robert McKimson) *New To Home Video*
    10. Dog Collared (12/2/1951 - Robert McKimson) [Porky] *New To DVD*
    11. Thumb Fun (3/1/1952 - Robert McKimson) [Porky & Daffy] *New To DVD*
    12. Fool Coverage (12/13/1952 - Robert McKimson) [Porky & Daffy] *New To DVD*
    13. Ant Pasted (5/9/1953 - Friz Freleng) [Elmer] *New To DVD*
    14. Gone Batty (9/4/1954 - Robert McKimson) [Bobo the Elephant] *New To DVD*
    15. Dog Gone People (11/12/1960 - Robert McKimson) [Elmer] *New To Home Video*
    16. Corn on the Cop (7/24/1965 - Irv Spector) [Porky & Daffy] *New To Home Video*
    17. Bunny and Claude (11/9/1968 - Robert McKimson) [Bunny & Claude] *New To Home Video*
    18. Great Carrot Train Robbery (1/25/1969 - Robert McKimson) [Bunny & Claude] *New To Home Video*

10. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

sorry that set is hardly the best of Porky Pig !!

11. It is however a GREAT set if you own all 6 volumes of the Golden Collections, which I do. This will make a nice addition. I assume this is another Super Stars series?

12. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Furnier-

is the Golden Collections on dvd?

13. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I find many of the post-1940 cartoons boring. The ones I really enjoy are the Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies from 1930 to around 1937. I love the early porky pig ones too. They should have never changed Porky, he was way better when he was big and fat and actually looked like a pig, and could actually be called "Porky".

I also wish they had done more with Beans, who I thought had potential as a character. I'm indifferent with Bosko and Buddy. I found Foxy, an early character, to be just downright weird and basically A Micky Mouse ripoff but with enough slight differences they couldn't get in trouble.

I wish they would release the Censored 11 or any of the other "off-colour" ones. I watched "Jungle Jitters" a few months ago, and it was still funny, although quite offensive is taken in the wrong context.

14. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

If you have all six Golden Collection sets, it's a nice supplement.

Yes, a Super Stars Series disc, but it looks to give you the option of 4:3 (unlike the Bugs and Daffy discs that were fake widescreen only).

All are on DVD.

This page lists the contents of all six volumes:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Looney_Tunes_Golden_Collection

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

16. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I don't know all the cartoons by their title, but judging by the years these are pulled from, I think volume 2 is going to be great! Volume 1 was lots of fun, too.

17. stereoptic

I received the Blu Ray today from Amazon. I'll put some time aside this upcoming week to watch.

18. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Got mine yesterday. There's some terrific Tex Avery cartoons included.

19. stereoptic

A Wild Hare is colorful and bright (in a good way) and defined. I didn't compare with the latest remaster (which was on the Academy Awards DVD if I recall) which was also very good. Too bad this volume wasn't packaged like the first volume which had a nice hard cover book.

20. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

And a shot glass. :cool:

21. stereoptic

Yeah, that was the Ultimate Platinum Edition. The "Standard" Platinum Edition was packaged in a nice book style. Volume 2 is the flimsy blue plastic case.

22. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

There's rumblings going on that the new blu-ray transfers are darker than the previous work done for the Golden Collections - could you compare a few and see if there's any truth to that?

23. stereoptic

Sure Mike. However, if I don't get to it Monday night or Tuesday, I won't be back for another week or so and will have time then.

24. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Why the shift in packaging from Vol. 1?

25. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Now that I would double dip for! :righton:

Next year is WB's big 90th anniversary..they should get the ball rolling and make it something memorable, for a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.