Lord Huron, anyone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ServingTheMusic, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Hey, there's a new album out - Vide Noir. Wasn't someone going to tell me? Guess it's my job. Just downloaded it from hdtracks, and it sounds good.

Gaslight likes this.
  2. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

yeah, new songs sound good

DJ LX likes this.
  3. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

Just getting into these guys, how’s the vinyl quality?

4. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Liking this new album so far - definitely a different slant than the earlier two (which is good, don't want the same album over and over).

Also interested in opinions from anyone with the vinyl, when it gets released. Next week I believe?

5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Anyone get the vinyl LP get?

6. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I might. If there is a copy of Strange Trails in the shop tomorrow I’m gonna get that one first.

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

paradox55 likes this.
  8. Big fan of Lord Huron's first couple of albums. Vide Noir's music doesn't do anything for me after a few listens. The production sounds more commercially accessible in a conscious manner and possibly over produced. I'm sure there are fans of this sound but in some regards it feels like Lord Huron selling out.

9. riskylogic

I like the songs just fine, but the mastering is not good. Ancient Names in particular sounds horribly clipped.

ted209 likes this.
  10. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

I've listened to the digital download that came with my deluxe vinyl pre-order and it suffers from serious compression to my ears. It was obvious on first listen, and confirmed on repeated listens. I'm hoping the vinyl is mastered better. I just got a shipping notification yesterday, so I'm hoping it arrives within the week.

11. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

Got the deluxe vinyl yesterday. It's spread out differently than the standard vinyl to fit the etching on side D. To my ears it sounds good but I haven't listened to the digital version for comparison (the DR values are not promising though). It's hard to tell how much of it is loudness compression and how much is intentional for effect, especially on the faster louder songs. The packaging is really good for the deluxe vinyl in any case, the matte jacket with the foil emerald star is really pretty.

bmh5879 likes this.
  12. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I never heard of this group and there is only this thread. One of their songs made some top of 2018 lists. I had never heard of it but like the song a lot.

paradox55, Record Rotator and Drifter like this.
  13. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Really liked the first album. Finally got around to buying Strange Trails after listening to it numerous times over the past few years at low volumes at work and liking what I heard. Played the first record and man, it's really loud and bright. It really didn't sound warm like I was expecting it to. Very disappointed.

The material is good but I feel like there are about a dozen semi-popular indie/folk bands going now that all have too similar of a sound. I usually like them on first listen and then the reverb soaked vocals get to me and then I can't hear beyond it.

14. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

Vide Noir is very compressed. There's a few good tracks on it, though.

ted209 likes this.
  15. The CD sounds dreadful.

16. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

It's DR4. One track is DR2.

bmh5879 likes this.
  17. Wow, I knew it was bad. Sounds like the awful REM CDs from the past couple decades.

18. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

why have I not heard of this artist?

19. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Lord Huron released a new album, Long Lost, today. Has an old time western sound. I’m enjoying it so far.

20. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Agreed. I originally got an mp3 digital version ams the compression was horrible. So I got the cd and it was the same. Can anyone who may have gotten the HD tracks version Vide Noir speak to the quality?

21. riskylogic

Terrible. I only listen to it in the car.

22. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Band is ruining decent material with horrible brickwall mastering. Someone needs to save them for themselves.

23. Arthur Pewty

Arthur Pewty Always crashing in the same car

The new album is very enjoyable, after a couple of listens. Perfect for driving through the Southwest. A very nice ambient track included on it too.

bmh5879 and Record Rotator like this.
  24. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

By a strange twist of fate, while I was reading the most recent comments to this thread, SiriusXM played "Not Dead Yet" on their Spectrum channel. Great song! Here they are performing it on Jimmy Kimmel last year.
    All messed up with nowhere to go
    I stare at myself in the mirror alone
    It's hard to make friends when you're half in the grave
    But I ain't dead yet

Lord Huron - Not Dead Yet (Live on Jimmy Kimmel Live!) - YouTube

Zeki likes this.
  25. jricc

jricc Senior Member

i just saw them on CBS Saturday Morning. Good stuff!

DEAN OF ROCK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.