LORD PETER WIMSEY, etc. on DVD---Gulp!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I made the mistake of feeling nostalgic for the old British LORD PETER WIMSEY series that aired in the 1970's here on PBS' Masterpiece Theatre. I went to eBay to look it up and BINGO! The complete set. Then I thought "Hmmmm, what about.....?"

So, I looked up my other faves like TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY and BRIDESHEAD REVISITED and I CLAUDIUS and even ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL and geez, EVERYTHING is out there on DVD.

Sigh. So much to watch, so little time and now that I'm hooked on Star Trek VOYAGER I'm itching to see the DVD set for season two.

Anyone else a fan of these great British shows?

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

We have the whole Miss Marple series with the fab Joan Hickson on DVD as well as all of the Rumpole Of The Bailey with Leo McKern.

One of the best series we have is The Complete 'Jeeves & Wooster' with Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie....just superb comedy.

I can't overlook the great "Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" DVD set, another real winner.

3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Slighly off-topic, but a question for Steve:

Given your experience with sonic remastering, and your enthusiasm and knowledge of photography, have you considered (or done) remastering for DVDs?

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I may not be a fan, but I clearly remember the early Saturday evening ritual at our house, watching those Lord Peter Wimsey programs while we ate dinner. My mother was a big fan of those mystery series, especially anything associated with Agatha Christie. She would have enjoyed the DVD sets quite a bit!

No way I could ever buy those sets: I still have about eight DVD movies I bought over the past few months I haven't even had time to watch yet! :)

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I was a huge Doctor Who fan. I still have my video tapes from the early eighties when they broadcast it in half-hour episodes. Great fun! I loved how the aliens from all around the cosmos all had wonderful *proper English* grammer. These are on dvd as well.

6. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

I sure am and would love to get all the Dennis Potters - speaking of which the Singing Detective came out last month on DVD - it's a MUST!
    BTW - the BBC over here don't repeat any of these classics, it's all Gardening, Cooking, DIY and bloody snooker.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm still hoping for Masterpiece Theater's version of...Émile Zola's Thérese Raquin to show up on DVD.

8. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

Of course....

But then my Nationality helps - a bit!

9. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

I love Claudius and Brideshead, brilliant stuff. Never saw the Peter Wimseys, though I have read most of the books.

Jeff

10. AJH

AJH Senior Member

They're all first rate productions.

The Wimsey stuff began to come-out on DVD about four years ago (at least in the USA). As the sets were released, I purchased them. The exterior stuff that was done on film doesn't look that great, but the vast majority of the stories were shot in the studio and that material looks very good. Great stories!

I also have the Claudius set, and it also looks very good considering when it was produced.

Additionally, the well received Mystery series "Heat Of The Sun" is being released on DVD (USA) in mid-May.

AJH

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I love all the shows you've mentioned (plus others). I grew up with 'All Creatures Great and Small". I read all the books, etc. I happily picked up all the DVD's (3 sets, Post-War specials). I also picked up on DVD 'Tinker', 'Brideshead', 'I Claudius', 'Upstairs Downstairs', 'The Avengers' (Emma Peel Set), 'Fawlty Towers', 'Young ones', 'Good Life' (Good Neighbors), 'Bottom' 'Yes, Minister/Prime Minister', 'Rumpole of the Baily', a few Doctor Who's, etc., etc.

I'm so happy these shows (plus so many others) are being put out on DVD in box sets. I have a huge VHS collection at home of tons & tons of completes series I recorded off of TV. One day I may be able to retire those tapes....

12. Todd Fredericks

Good old WLIW, Ch. 21! I actually taped every damn episode they showed (SP mode of course). I also recorded all the Blake's 7's, etc. Actually, back in those days I recorded just about every show I liked (entire series, etc.).

I remember I did an interview with John Nathan-Turner for Ch. 31 when they used to show Doctor Who. I even got him to do promotions for Eastenders (before the US premiere)....

13. Steve Hoffman

Todd,

There was a 'Yes, Prime Minister'?

Didn't know that.

Sigh, it's great that all this stuff is out there! I used to tape everything off of PBS pre cable; I used to call our UHF channel the "snow station". Glad I can finally get rid of those bad looking tapes..

14. Todd Fredericks

Steve,

Ya, there were 2 series of 'Yes, Prime Minister'. Very funny. It's a shame Paul Eddington & Nigel Hawthorne are no longer with us. I was very lucky to have seen them on stage. Paul Eddington in 'No Man's Land' (appearing with Harold Pinter) and Nigel Hawthorne in 'Shadowlands'.

Todd

15. Todd Fredericks

I was a nortorious taper too. I most have several thousands of tapes of stuff I "needed" to archive.... :)

16. Steve Hoffman

Todd, I had a Sony 1600 Pro 3/4" U-Matic machine and that helped, quality wise, but it was still a strain in those pre cable days.

Glad you saw those two on stage; I didn't even know they were dead... :shake:

17. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Those old Sony pro machines are workhorses; I still have a Sony Pro model that's fifteen years old and is still going.

I always liked "Red Dwarf".

Evan

18. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

:eek: That must have been quite an obnoxious collection to store...those tapes were not small, IIRC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.