Loren Auerbach Jansch-R.I,P,

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by janschfan, Dec 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member Thread Starter

Some sad news from the U.K......

Loren Auerbach Jansch, the widow of Bert Jansch, passed away a couple of weeks ago. Her husband preceded her in death 2 1/2 months ago. I wasn't aware of the fact that she was fighting cancer all the time they were walking through Bert's illness.
    They met in 1984 when Bert played on her album, "After The Long Night", and the 1985 follow-up, "Playing The Game". They married in November 0f 1999. She played a large part in getting Bert re-focused on music ( and life, in general). She took good care of Bert, and they took good care of each other, according to friends, such as guitarist Gordon Giltrap. Check out this moving tribute to Bert and Loren Jansch:

http://giltrap.co.uk/index.php?page=news&category=01--General_News&display=2971

2. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Two Souls...

Wow what a shock!

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting her the summer of 2010, when I saw Bert play in Santa Cruz headlining over Pegi Young with Neil's band. I did not know Loren was going to be there, or I'd have brought her two records she did with Bert from the 80s to be signed--both stunning IMNSHO... I still love both those records to this day.

She was very nice at the sound check, very friendly and accessible, as was Bert. T'was a real pleasure to meet them both. She looked fine, he looked much older and I had no idea she was sick. A sad loss, and yet somehow poetic that they left so soon together. She was his rock from what I've gathered.

Their version of Richard Newman's "Journey of the Moon Through Sorrow" from one of those records is one of the great lost British-Folk-Rock masterpieces. Oddly, it was retitled for the two-albums on one Cd two fer.

First Ben Keith died shortly after that show, then Bert and now Loren...

What a major bummer...

Very sad news ~ RIP Loren :eek: :shake: :cry:

:(

3. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Sad news. Two souls indeed. I'm interested in hearing her albums with Bert as I didn't know about them till Mrbill's post.

Gordon Giltrap says it right...

"Rest in Peace Bert and Loren, the world is a poorer place for your passing."

4. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Active Member

Very sad, but hopefully they're reunited.

5. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Hello,

Yes, very sad news indeed. I was lucky enough to see Bert in concert many times over the years and she was his constant companion. My last Bert show was in July in Dublin and they gave each other a nice hug before he went on stage. At the time, I was not aware that either of them was sick.

6. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

very sad news.

Rest In Peace Loren

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Well-Known Member

I hadn't realized that both were battling cancer. It must have been rough even though Bert continued to be active in music all the way up to this past summer and Loren was often at his shows. Such courage.

RIP, Loren.

8. GMDuss

GMDuss I Get A Custom One?

Oh my GOD!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.