Los Angeles area record stores rant

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I unfortunately couldn't hit too many record shops this vacation in LA but this is what I experienced:

Tower- I didn't go to the one on Sunset but went to 2 different ones in Sherman Oaks and Santa Monica. Their import sections are gone and are mixed in with the artists themselves. This would be OK if there were any imports! Now I know why people were ranting about Tower sucking lately. Other than that their stock has dwindled somewhat. They aren't what they used to be. Does the Sunset Tower still have an import section? I think the downfall of Tower is unfortunate. Best Buy and Circuit City are not picking up the slack in terms of stocking reissues and catalog titles. This could mean less reissues and catalog titles in the future period since these chain stores certainly aren't stocking them.

Ameoba- This is on Sunset. Great store except their used CD's are WAY expensive! I wanted to get the Our Lady Peace Live CD used and it was
    $ 11.95!! I could get it new for like a buck more! Ridiculous!!

Rockaway- In Glendale. What the heck happened to them? It looks like a garbage dump now. They cut out half the store and there's nothing even worth buying in there. Their used CD section was pathetic (although the prices werer reasonable unlike Ameoba).

Penny Lane still has some pretty good used stuff. I'll give them kudos.

I used to go nuts in these stores and now they are just sad cases. I've been hitting these stores every year since about 1990 and have always walked out with merchandise. What happened?

How's Aaron's records?

2. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Rockaway has really slipped in the last few years, I didn't even bother going there on my last visit. My recommendation would be to investigate CD Trader on Ventura Blvd. in the Valley, out in Tarzana. A good source of used and promo copies.

All in all, the SoCal members have it good. If you want to experience a sad local record scene, c'mon down y'all to Atlanta! Puh-leez!

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Re: Re: Los Angeles area record stores rant

Rockaway was for many years THE place for quality vinyl, and often for great prices. It was my Mecca when I lived in the Valley. A few years ago they reduced the store size dramatically. All the vinyl (90% anyway) went away. On top of that they have the worst trade-in prices for used stuff I've ever seen (after Record Surplus, anyway). Very sad. Aarons is in a similar boat...they were the BEST for import CD's until they redesigned the store a couple of years ago.

4. bartels76

If you are in LA go to Eastside records in Hollywood. Not much selection but they have some real bargains sometimes. They were selling sealed Universal Deluxe Editions for $ 15.99.

5. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

They are just as you described.....sad, ridiculous and outrageous! You have to get lucky to find anything.

Aaron Record has been hit hard by Ameoba, they are really down(vinyl wise that is).

Record Surplus in West LA is about the only one I go to find decent LPs.......:(

6. bartels76

Is the sad state of LA record stores due to all the Best Buys that have sprung up? They are everywhere! Every corner is another Best Buy!

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Shawn,

Why not give the full picture so far as what Amoeba offers in used CDs? So one title was high priced compared to a new copy.

What about all the rest of the used CD? All the box sets? The Rhino Handmade (internet only) sets in the used bin priced way lower than you can order them for. The new remastered copies of old catalog stuff on Warner/Reprise for 6.99 and 7.99. All the deluxe editions, Sealed MFSL for 25 and 35 bucks......and on and on.

Just because you did not get that one disc at a fair price, does not mean you could not have given the readers a bit more details on what was there.

Amoeba simply offers the largest selection on the west coast of everything. And true you pay a bit more for the pleasure of shopping at a store where there is that kind of service. They also have the best return policy I have ever seen.

Jeff

8. bartels76

I was interested in getting some Joni Mitchell's remastered but I think they were like $ 9.95 or $ 8.95. I didn't think that was much of a bargain.
    Believe me, I'm not ragging them iit was the best store in LA period. I just think they need to shave a couple bucks off their used IMHO.

9. bartels76

Another example was Diana Ross- To Love Again was used for $ 11.95! It should 8.99 or lower. You could walk in a Circuit City and get it new for like 12 or 13 bucks. That isn't a bargain either.

10. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The used versions of new releases are definitely expensive at Amoeba. Of course, that's also one of the reasons you can find a pretty good selection of newer releases in the racks for "only" a couple of bucks cheaper than you could find them new.

Overall, though, I'd say Amoeba's used prices are pretty reasonable. I've found lots of bargains there.

11. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Shawn, where is that place located? I might have to check it out next SoCal visit.

12. RDK

RDK Active Member

I have to disagree (at least in some ways) regarding Rockaway. Yes, it has shrunk over the years (and they downsized again just a few months ago), but their prices are the best and their selection can be very good. The problem is that they get used CDs in in big batches, so sometimes they are so well stocked that I worry about eating for the next month. Other times a month or two will go by without me buying anything. Their sales (now monthly) are real bargains, especially for cheap vinyl. But you now have to be at Rockaway at just the right time to find the "good stuff." The last few weeks have been particularly bare. (I know, I live only blocks away and stop there a few times a week).

I'm only a few blocks from Eastside as well, and while they get very good (and very cheap) stuff in on occassion, I can't recommend anyone making a trip across town to get there. Too often they have almost *nothing* worthwhile. (Though they did get an *amazing* collection of old jazz LPs just under a year ago; but they're long gone.)

I guess it depends what you're interested in, but I'd say that Amoeba has the best selection in town by far. I always check their bargain bins when I'm there and often find great things. Some things are priced *very* high, but most of the used stuff is comparable to anywhere else in town.

I don't think I've found anything (at all) at Record Surplus in over a year. Aaron's, I'm sorry to say, has become virtually irrelevant for me.

13. Lukather

Lukather Forum Resident

I'm sure all of you Southern Californians remember Moby Disc Record Stores......The last great Independent record chain....Well, one of the original owners has opened a new record store. It is called Freakbeat Records. 13616 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks.

818-995-7603

Lot of great used stuff with Bob Say as owner who is one of the most knowledgeable
    people of collectibles in the country. Give them a try!!!

14. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I used to frequent the Huntington Beach store and found many gems there years back anyway. They were a good source
    for OOP used CD's. The Sherman Oaks store is a little drive from my location but I am going to go check it out real soon.

15. Monsieur Gadbois

No wonder I couldn't find a thing around town...:realmad: :laugh:

16. RDK

RDK Active Member

Oh yeah, the jazz section there is MINE. :D

(Though seriously, now that I've got the kids, I stop there much less frequently so you now have a chance.) ;)

17. Monsieur Gadbois

Hey Ray, I heard your wife wants to have more kids.....:laugh:

Seriously, I don't know much about CeeDees findings around LA but I still have my sources to find LPs.;)

18. peter

peter Senior Member

I am NOT a San Francisco snob despite living here, but the vinyl scene in LA is just not as good as it is here. There are so many great vinyl stores here I can't keep up.

However, I travel to LA about 3-4 times a year, sometime on business, sometime for just a quick getaway with the wife. I always find something in LA!!

In addition to the stores mentioned already, I really like Atomic in Burbank. Great stuff. This past year, I got 4 Prestige label Coltrane LP's (blue label with trident logo, but WITH VAN GELDER stampers) for $20.00 each. Perfect condition. Then, for $40.00, I got a sealed BS&T "Child Is Father" CBS Gold Mastersound CD at Amoeba. Also at Amoeba, I got a near mint stereo y&b Parlophone "Please Please Me" for $40.00. And, a stereo-labeled (but mono playing) 80's UK Spencer David Group Gr. Hits LP for $8.00 at Surplus. A UK Chicago VI at Rhino for $6.00.

Have to be persistent.
    Also, a nice T. Monk "Criss Cross" LP for $8.00 at Atomic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.