Los Angeles area record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jamesc, Jun 16, 2016.

1. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

My displeasure with Amoeba is a few months ago, I could've gotten what I wanted for $9.99 or less. Prices have gone up about 100% since then. I'm glad that I got what I wanted before that happened.

2. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Yes. I believe Cinefile is on its 3rd owner now. The first (Hadrian) now runs the Cinefamily, which does tremendous work, although he brought much of the same BS attitudes with him to that enterprise.

tremspeed likes this.
  3. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Tolerant of what? Trash, traffic and dilapidated infrastructure? That's silly

4. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

And the "homeless" and dirty patrons. Quit while you're ahead already.

eran levy likes this.
  5. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Yeah that too...the city has let itself become a disgusting cesspool...I believe tolerating it is the reason it has become this way.

6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Some people appreciate diversity, history, and character. There is nothing but trendy, but interesting shops and restaurants in that area, so I really have no idea what you're talking about. And I'm there weekly.
    I wouldn't like to live in your white bread, freeway birthed town. There are probably no record stores there, anyway.
    We were supposed to be recommending them to the OP, remember?

7. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Ventura ? & What ?

Are we talking Studio City, Woodland Hills, that Street runs for 20 miles.

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

13616 Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks, between Woodman and Coldwater.

9. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

LOL, he lives in Lake Forest which is the very definition of "white bread, freeway birthed town."

10. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Thank you ! Probably that's walking distance from Sportsman's Lodge, I'll take a peek, next time I visit. I'm trying to picture what's next to it, maybe it's across the street from Casa Vega.

11. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

the problem isn't the city so much as its warm climate and the U.S.' enormous number of armed services veterans...

12. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Thanks for proving my point on tolerance....we only tolerate those who believe the way WE do. Unreal.

My point was entirely missed, you shouldn't tolerate social ills like homelessness, drug addiction (yeah those able working guys in front of Amoeba looking for handouts...heroin addicts), tent cities, human waste in streets, freeways that are parking lots, metro that doesn't actually get to the airport...and not being able to take a left turn! Tolerance is for accepting people who have different lifestyles and choices…homelessness and drug addiction are not choices, they are problem we need to fix.

But we have proved who the truly intolerant are after all….

13. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yup. Yawn City.

quicksrt, Beamish13 and cyclistsb like this.
  14. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Oh, drone drone drone. Now you're the victim, lol.

Beet and cyclistsb like this.
  15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

How weird you would question that, when 90% of the other stores just mentioned did not give street addresses either. But record hunters are a strange crowd often times I've noticed.

Always check your directions on your smart phone in advance.

16. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

I've never been approached or talked to by "any of those guys" in front of Amoeba. Are you aware it's a bus stop? Some people have to stand around and wait for the bus. They're not necessarily addicts and layabouts just because they have to wait for a bus.

LA has a number of blighted areas, Venice and Skid Row are much worse, and the Hollywood/Highland area is much more congested. Amoeba is not suburban, no, but if you truly can find that many reasons to avoid it (including wrapping in all of society's ills, apparently), you'll just never be comfortable in any kind of urban environment.

17. duggan

duggan Senior Member

I agree, it is really great fun browsing at Amoeba. It reminds me of that teenage delight of visiting record shops in the 70s.

18. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Incredible how members on these forums cannot simply stick to the topics and stray with issues far from what the OP was asking assistance with! Come on guys! :rolleyes:

Back on topic...

A hidden gem not far from Amoeba Hollywood. Not large and stock varies from week-to-week as they are big on estate sale pickups.

The Record Parlour »

jamesc likes this.
  19. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Believe me, the folks I am referring to are not simply waiting for the bus...they are waiting for their man! Anyway, I veered too far off topic and it resulted in name calling that was not necessary. In that regards, I apologize. Suffice it to say, it is a major chore to drive there and deal with the urban "plights" (my ex was an addict, I am more sensitive to it than most). I am much more comfortable with a city like London that has easy transportation like the Underground to get to all the records stores....that's a great city for vinyl!

20. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Venice is an incredible area. Also, the real estate prices are so high that there are very few gangs left. If only I'd snapped up some condos back in the 80's-I could've made millions on them.

21. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Definitely avoid Record Parlor, which is around the corner from the formerly great but now avoidable Amoeba.

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

No way. Great little store

23. Marc Perman

The Last Bookstore is a favorite vinyl spot of mine, it's not cheap but I've found good stuff there, and Henry, who runs the section, is a good guy.

Over the past couple of years Amoeba has transitioned to mostly new vinyl, with a much smaller used stock than most of the other stores named in this thread, so I've pretty much stopped going. The Berkeley and SF stores too.

chacha and jamesc like this.
  24. Marc Perman

Their prices are over the top, at least for me.

lightbulb likes this.
  25. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

It's the condition of the records, coupled with the prices, that keeps my away.

lightbulb and BuzzMan like this.