LOS LOBOS-How Will The Wolf Survive, pre-order! Rhino vinyl coming in July, thank you!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

This and By The Light Of The Moon (alongside stuff by The Smithereens) is the soundtrack of a couple years for me. :love:

Class act!

Davmoco likes this.
  2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

I hope they get paid, so they can keep going (and going). 31 years since La Bamba, they probably could use a nice payday.

3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Mine should arrive any day. Can't wait! Love Los Lobos.

Has "The Neighborhood" been reissued on vinyl. I want!

4. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Let us know how it compares to the original guys!

marcb likes this.
  5. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Nothing can top the sound of the original Slash LP...

Look for a clean original

6. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

In another thread, I stated that I'd probably buy the Rhino reissue- which comes out today- if it was mastered by Chris Bellman. Here is a reply that I got:

Beatleboy1968 likes this.
  7. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Those were my thoughts exactly, until I read in my cd-booklet of The Neighborhood that the original was mastered by Stephen Marcussen at Precision Laquering and that was an AAD cd. I figured that the og vinyl would be AAA? That made me bite the bullit and go for an orginal us pressing, which are not at all expensive. And lo and behold, it sounds fantastic! More detail and bass than the og cd. Don't know for sure if it is AAA, but who cares, it sounds good! So wait no longer for a reissue if you love this album and get a US first press, shouldn't break the bank if you're living in the states.

8. lemonade kid

I'm looking!

Just got the vinyl (new) "How Will The Wolf Survive", and having not heard the original SLASH, I can't compare. But this one is pretty damn nice. Clean, distinct, nice deep bass, and great middle and high ends. If the original is better....wow!

Trying to find more original vinyl from Los Lobos. Kiko and the Man, The Neighborhood...the search is on.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    cpatton and Beaker73 like this.
  9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Yes it does:edthumbs:

10. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

11. Great collection!

ultron9 likes this.
  12. Brudr

Brudr Forum Resident

Love the album! I have both the original vinyl and CD....both sound outstanding (& almost identical mastering wise). It will have to be done very well to compete with the 80's releases.

13. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Grab the MFSL of Kiko. The original is tough to find and the MFSL is great.
    By the Light of the Moon is generally easy to find used, and is also a classic. But I don't think the Lobos ever put out a bad record.

googlymoogly likes this.
  14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Any more thoughts on this repressing?

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

It would have to be 100X better than the old copy for me to even consider it. I think I paid around $5 for a clean old copy maybe a year ago.

16. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I was working at a record store at the mall in 1987, when a customer came in and shouted "LOBO". I didn't know what he was talking about. We went back and forth, causing him to shout even louder, "LOBO!!!", and pound his fist on the counter. Finally, I checked Phonolog and found the entry for Lobo, looked up, and asked, "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"? "LOOOOOBOOOOO!!!!!!!" Long story short, he was looking for "La Bamba" by Los Lobos.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  17. lemonade kid

great remastering
    NO way for me to compare, but the new Rhino reissue is fantastic audio (full bass, great separation and clarity), and get it now for those who want a nice limited edition (4,100 copies) 180g black vinyl collectors LP for your collection. The reproduction Slash label is cool too.

lucan_g likes this.
  18. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

To repeat an earlier point, I do think it was sort of an odd choice to reissue, given how easy it is to find originals. But I'm definitely buying the reissue to see what Chris Bellman was able to do with the original tapes. Just watching prices for the time being (not that $20ish is unreasonable). I won't miss out though, keeping in mind how fast the Rhino/Bellman reissue of John Prine S/T went OOP and up in price...

googlymoogly and patient_ot like this.
  19. cpatton

cpatton Forum Resident

Played the dutch pressing of Neighborhood today - as said above, it´s wonderful.
    In 4 weeks time they will play a club gig here in Oslo - aahhh...

lemonade kid likes this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Will this be AAA?

21. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I received my copy yesterday but have yet to open it, but the sticker on the outside indicates "AAA remaster by Chris Bellman" or something like that since I am not home typing this and I am going from memory.

jdrueke and Tullman like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is good news.

23. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

This one of my 6 stars out of 5 stars albums.

hutlock likes this.
  24. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Listened to the LP as soon as I got home from work, and this new cut sounds steller!!!!!

I will have to dig out my original pressing to compare.

Sticker does state, "AAA Mastering by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering"

Tullman and hutlock like this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Weird that the analog tapes still apparently exist - yet neither MFSL nor any other reissue ‘audiophile’ label has done this album while virtually every other mainstream album of theirs before 2004’s The Ride (except The Neighborhood) has been reissued on SACD and/or LP.

hutlock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.