LOS LOBOS-How Will The Wolf Survive, pre-order! Rhino vinyl coming in July, thank you!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

So is this actually available now? I'm not seeing it online at Amazon, Acoustic Sounds, etc...

2. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

So what about The Neighborhood? I want a AAA Chris Bellman mastered reissue. The Bellman remastered "How Will The Wold Survive" is fantastic!

3. lemonade kid

Go to Bull Moose--got mine there ($17.95):

Los Lobos - How Will The Wolf Survive

Los Lobos

How Will The Wolf Survive

Back To The 80's Exclusive

LP
    ROCK

RHINO/SLASH 25177

UPC: 603497860340

Release Date: 7/10/2018

LIST PRICE: $19.98 (you save $2.01)

hutlock likes this.
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Awesome! On my way!!!

5. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I've got an original vinyl pressing of this, as well as a decent sounding CD. I'll pass, but this is one of my favorites.

6. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Here's a reply I got somewhere else..

googlymoogly and Tullman like this.
  7. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

The one I'd like to see is Good Morning Aztlan, which is only available on vinyl as the rare and expensive MFSL from 2002.

googlymoogly, lemonade kid and Geee! like this.
  8. As well as This Time also done by MoFi. The MoFi CDs are terrific, but I play mostly vinyl these days...

riverrat and lemonade kid like this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There was a vinyl pressing of this? Didn’t know that.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, I would like to see some more Los Lobos titles if they are AAA and cut by Chris Bellman. I have the SACD of Good Morning Aztlan and it sounds good. I now remember seeing the vinyl for sale at MD, but my vinyl rig wasn't what is now.

11. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Discogs listing. Looks like the MFSL was actually from 2006.

12. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Received and played my copy of the CB mastered "Wolf" Rhino reissue. VERY nice sounding lp. I'd have to say it beats the original.

jdrueke and lemonade kid like this.
  13. lemonade kid

Finally. It sounds great to me also.

14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm listening right now to my Slash original, on cereal-box light vinyl, and it just explodes off the table.
    Can you be more specific about what sounds better on the reissue?

marcb likes this.
  15. lemonade kid

I can't say it's "better" without direct comparison. (Some here have said it's better.) Sorry if I implied I have compared the original (I don't have it) to the new vinyl. I can only say that it is a AAA Mastering by Chris Bellman with custom lathe cutting at Bernie Grundman Mastering, pressed on flawless 180 gram vinyl....with the cool original Slash label added as a visual plus.

That alone is usually a good recommendation for me--Chris is of the minimalist "school" of audio engineering, like our forum host Steve Hoffman.
    Chris accomplishes his usual -- restrained excellent mastering when provided with great mixes like this: with emphasis on knowing how to produce mixes for vinyl...analog mastering in a digital world. And like Hoffman's, Bellman's mastering is usually even better when provided with fine original mixes, in subtle and distinct ways.

I have several of his remastered productions, and like Hoffman, it is without "digital loudness" brickwalling and over compression. The bass is perfect; everything jumps off the vinyl, just as you described the original. The low, middle and high range, all distinct clean, crisp and with each instrument & vocal sounding separate and distinct. Like hearing Los Lobos live, at their usual best.

Without having the original to compare, and from your praise of the first pressing, this is at least as good as the original as I can imagine it to be. And it isn't pressed on that flimsy paper thin 80's vinyl...what was it called: Dyna-flex?

Beatleboy1968 likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, Im going to bite the bullet. All I have is the cd. Ill get the suggested original lp and the reissue and compare. My favorite Los Lobos album, so worth the 30 bucks Ill spend.

See you guys in a week :D

marcb and Lemon Curry like this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Dynaflex was a thing in the 70s, not in the 80s AFAIK, and was limited to the RCA label. I have an old 80s pressing of "Wolf" and it's on standard weight vinyl.

18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

My pressing is not referred to as Dynaflex, but it is very thin and flexible similar to those RCA pressings. I hadn't noticed how thin 'till I washed it last night. Is not standard by any means.

19. lemonade kid

Right....I was giving it my "generic" term with RCA's Dynaflex. ..kinda like Kleenex. Terrible stuff.--Dynaflex. REPRISE's thin vinyl "Harvest" was terrible too.

patient_ot likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’ve got plenty of non-dynaflex pressings in the 100g or less region.

However I don’t know right off hand how thin or thick my original copy of Wolf is.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Please do. Chris Bellman does good work, but he’s not Superman. The original LP sounds pretty good (although honestly I haven’t listened to it in years), so I’m not inclined to assume because he mastered it that it will be better, let alone appreciably better.

However if it had been some sort of tan marbled vinyl... :drool:

patient_ot and mpayan like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yep, I never put all my marbles with one mastering engineer. No one is perfect. And they all have to make a living. But since I dont have this on vinyl at all, originals are cheap and this new one is cheap, Im more game to take the hit.

On another note concerning colored vinyl:

What I found with the new 2018 fancy red and black Alice Cooper Killer: The CB 2012 is very good. Too bad the CB mastered one is black and no calender. Pretty sure the marketing has figured out to make one that sounds great but doesnt look cool. And then make one that sounds subpar and looks great. They know we fall for both.

So Im kind of thankful this one is CB and black lol.

patient_ot likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m not sure I agree about the colored vinyl thing. There are plenty which use the same good lacquers as the non-colored vinyl version. ZZ Top, Hendrix...I could go on.

patient_ot likes this.
  24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, Im being a bit silly, but I do wish upgrades would always match visually and audibly.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I just checked my copy and put it on now. It is on the thin side but not close to as thin as some late 70s and early 80s vinyl I've got. It's about standard for an 80s major label pressing. The fact that it is thin has zero impact on the sound as well. I realized some people feel that thick vinyl gives an impression of quality but when crap plants like Rainbo and United can press the stuff it's not a determining factor at all. Further, 180g+ records seem more susceptible (IME) to defects like non-fill, factory warps from not letting the records cool before sleeving, etc.

The only real issue I've had with records on thin vinyl has been susceptibility to warps. If the record is traveling through the mail and wasn't packed super well it might show up warped. Same thing with taking a thin record into a very hot car on a very hot summer day. Even with the AC on blast, I've had thin records warp that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.