LOS LOBOS-How Will The Wolf Survive, pre-order! Rhino vinyl coming in July, thank you!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Indeed.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok, I'm listening to the CB cut of Will the Wolf Survive. I listened to the original pressing a couple of days ago, and it confirmed my original thoughts on this pressing, it is bright and on the harsh side. I couldn't even get through the record. The new pressing is MUCH better in every way. No brainer IMO. Get the Rhino.

marcb, sonofjim and lemonade kid like this.
  3. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Right. I prefer standard thinner vinyl overall---60's "thin" like Capitol and Columbia though i call that standard not thin.. 180 g seems to be an excuse to charge more, without the quality always. Tho I do have some pretty nice 180g.

4. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Still have my original vinyl, and it still sounds great.

Lemon Curry likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It would be nice to know what system you are listening to this record on.

6. Carl Steward

There are no bad Los Lobos albums, only some less classic. OK, let me amend that, had a bit of trouble getting into the Disney tunes one.

In addition to the two you have mentioned, I believe The Neighborhood is essential. And I'm very big on Tin Can Trust as a sleeper pick. But there are great individual tracks on every album.

PteroDon, MusicNBeer and googlymoogly like this.
  7. Carl Steward

All of my gear is Pioneer -- receiver, turntable, even my CD player/recorder. Amazing how great components last.

Tullman likes this.
  8. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

It sounds very good - I do wish they had stretched it out to 2 LPs.

9. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I pulled out my original pressing of this LP, and it sounded really good, but the new pressing beats the original pressing by a slim margin.

marcb, lemonade kid and Steel Woole like this.
  10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

As someone who never picked up the original, I’m very glad Rhino did this and did it well. I can’t compare of course but this reissue sounds great on my system and represents another great value from Rhino.

lemonade kid likes this.
  11. hmm..., interesting, any specifics on the slim margin?
    Just picked up another original in excellent condition for $2.

12. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Speaking of the great sound from Slash vinyl, just played my 1987 pressing from BoDeans fantastic but not so well review at the time: "Outside Looking In"
    I jumps off the turntable with very great track! After the high expectations of their debut, this was a disappointment to reviewers, but it has aged well.

[​IMG]

Love it!

marcb, Carl Steward and Geee! like this.
  13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

The new Rhino has a bit more balanced sound, a bit more low end, and it is not as "bright" sounding, but..... for $20.00 vs $2.00 (for a excellent original) - not sure if you really need to spend the extra money.

marcb and zphage like this.
  14. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

I pulled my original out yesterday, I'm satisfied with what I heard and my system tends toward the bright.

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

On my system, not only is there more bass but there is more separation between the bass guitar and the bass drum, the same with the highs, more separation of the instruments and more natural timbre. I can hear that the new release used a state of the art mastering studio, with a mastering engineer that took his time and knows what he is doing. The pressing is dead quiet. For $20.00 this release competes with the best of MFSL, Speakers Corner, APP etc...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I hated T Bone's production for the first lp--he treated them like folkies. Which they weren't.
    While this lp didn't have those classic BoDeans songs from the first lp, I like the production better--more ball.

lemonade kid likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Received the new Chris Bellman lp and also the original lp. Previously all I had was the cd.

My thoughts on sound quality:

I A/B'd the first two songs. My immediate reaction was the original seems to have the highs a bit more accentuated as compared to the CB cut. Which seems to agree somewhat with the other fellas opinions here.

Id call the CB cut lp more "lush". I dont know that I found the original to be "bright" in a bad sense. Simply a different philosophy. I dont want to get too flowery with words. This was a bit of a tough comparison simply because imo 80s production is somewhat artificial sounding.

For instance, the drums have that classic 80s gated sound, so it is difficult for me at times to get a sense of realism no matter what the mastering is like. However, I do think the original drums have a bit more decay and more defined on the original. The CB cut is not in any way bad. Its very good on the representation of the drums. The rim hits on the second song are simply more subdued on the CB. Meaning further back from the vocals.

All in all I find that the instruments in general are somewhat eq'd to sound further back a bit on the CB. Which isnt a bad thing. The vocals being more forward (or at least the illusion of the vocals being more forward) is satisfying. There are so many different timbres to the bands voices that its nice to have them more out front. Also I was listening to the tremola/vibrato guitar strumming in the first song. I expected it to be muffled and not very prominent in the new reissue. But instead I was pleasantly surprised. Its there and sounds very nice. As clear as the original? Hard to say. I think the accentuated highs of the original make it *seem* like its clearer. Again, simply a different mastering. The guitar is plenty clear and sounds very good on the CB mastering.

One of the things I dont like about modern mastering is the emphasis on detail to the point of sterility. This is not a problem in this reissue. There seems to be a very nice balance between the lushness and detail. Many times these reissues lush it up/ bass it up so much that things sound mushy. This new reissue doesnt do that. So extra points for that.

Ill be honest, I dont know that I could say the new CB is better than the old Slash record or vice versa. They are different presentations. Also, its a well recorded album. If you are looking for a presentation with the qualities I described on the new reissue, then you will be very happy with the new CB cut lp.

If a bit more hot sound with emphasis on the highs to give it that rock n roll edge, yet possibly different eq in which the instruments are more on an even keel eq wise is your thing, then the original that youve always loved may be plenty to please.

The old one sounds hotter. Brighter? Yes. Too bright? Eh, not too me. It still has a great soundstage. The new one sounds fuller, yet balanced and with emphasis upon the vocals a bit more.

Having purchased both at the same time, Im glad I have both. I have a gut feeling I will play the new one more. It doesnt fall into the new mastering traps that I dislike and emphasizes the qualities I do enjoy.

I paid 12 bucks for the original and 25 for the new one. Was the new one worth it? 1000 x's better? Well, I dont know, thats up to the buyer. But I cannot fault this new one as being anything but a really nice sounding reissue.

Winner: As much as I wanted to say the old lp, Ill say the new reissue wins. It still rocks, has plenty of detail, yet is fuller.

One thing to consider...the cd can be had for pennies most likely. And from what I recall (I cant find mine) it sounds pretty darn great.

System:
    Rega P-6
    Dynavector 20x2
    Warfedale Denton Speakers
    Yamaha A-S1100 amp

Detailed listening:

Noble Katana in-ear monitors

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Beatleboy1968, Ken E., Geee! and 4 others like this.
  18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Does anybody know if also the European 2018 reissue is cut by Bellman?

19. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

Are you sure there is a European version of this 2018 reissue?

20. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

Maybe you are right and there is only one Rhino version.

lemonade kid likes this.
  21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

This... this is a great album and I have an original release copy.

lemonade kid and lucan_g like this.
  22. If you love this album I can recommend By The Light of the Moon and Kiko. Both SACDs can found on sale at Music Direct for $20 each. I picked up both today 'cause along with 'Wolf' they are my favorite Los Lobos albums.

lemonade kid likes this.
  23. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Most informative review I’ve read here that wasn’t authored by member Cassius. Most impressive.

mpayan likes this.
  24. draden1

draden1 Forum Resident

Just found this at a local shop, I had no idea this was redone in 2018? Glad I picked it up, not only a great album but a great sounding album like others have said! Get one before they are gone.

Beatleboy1968 and lemonade kid like this.
  25. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

If you're in the Atlanta area, Wuxtry HAD two copies but now they have one. I was just flipping through the stacks with nothing particular in mind, saw this, saw the Chris Bellman hype sticker, the $19.99 price tag, and snatched it up. I can't wait to give it a listen! Now they just need to reissue "The Neighborhood."

lemonade kid likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.