"Lossy" Music You've Bought Lately (iTunes, Amazon MP3, Google Play, etc)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scopitone, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast Thread Starter

We have threads about HDTracks and CD/vinyl purchases. But some of us do buy "lossy" digital music, too. So what have you picked up lately?

And please, no threadcraps about how "I will never buy lossy music". ;)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    jupiter8, One Louder and RickH like this.
  2. Scopitone

I get the email each Tuesday from amazon mp3, and it helps me keep up with new releases. I will buy what I want either there or at iTunes. And then upload the songs to the other account. (iMatch and Amazon Cloud)

This week was a light week because I am only a few days from payday. Just a handful of songs from iTunes:

Miranda Lambert -"Automatic"
    Eric Church - "The Outsiders" (will prob buy the rest of the album this weekend)
    Christina Perri - three songs from her new album to be released on Apr 1. (preordered the album on iTunes)

Last week, I used Amazon.
    Hot Rocks -- $3.99 woohoo!
    Kylie Minogue's new single

3. fatjedi

fatjedi Forum Resident

U2 - Invisible (Free)
    Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (Deluxe)
    Bruno Mars - It Will Rain
    Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city (Deluxe)
    Korn - The Paradigm Shift
    Finally used the gift card I got for Christmas.

Scopitone likes this.
  4. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

Warpaint - ST
    Dum Dum Girls - Too True
    The Pack A.D. - Do Not Engage
    Bruno Mars - Unorthodox Jukebox (uncensored version, surprisingly this version was the one that was cheaper on i-Tunes.)
    Can - Soon Over Babaluma

Scopitone likes this.
  5. botley

botley Forum Resident

This month's purchases on iTunes:

The Rolling Stones - Look What You've Done (from No Stone Unturned, Vol. 1)
    The Four Tops - Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever (alternate mix, from Motown Lost and Found: Lost Without You)
    Public Enemy - Welcome to the Terrordome (from Planet Earth: The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Greatest Hits)

Scopitone likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

About five years ago I bought Cesium 137- Intelligent Design for the bonus instruments (itunes):cheers:
    Edit: Oops lately, I have no concept of time apparently

Scopitone likes this.
  7. shane

shane Active Member

I'm only buying lossy music now :( A decision made with a heavy heart. But a choice pot living space won out over room for LPs, turntable, etc.

Chris Robinson Brotherhood's Betty's Blends 5 live shows from Dec 2012
    Langhorne Slim's entire catalog
    John Prine - s/t, Bruised Orange, In Spite of Ourselves

I also found out that every cd and record I purchased from Amazon, ever, I have MP3s of in my Amazon Cloud. Available for streaming and download. I don't know if this is a Prime privilege or what but it's pretty cool. Also subscribed to Daytrotter Sessions for a bunch of cool stuff.

8. drivingfrog

drivingfrog Calm down, have some dip.

Last things were the free U2 song and Yeezus (internet release has finished mix that CD doesn't, and I felt better paying $2 for that than $10 for a bare jewel case with a piece of tape and a sticker on the back).

9. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I buy a lot of stuff from 7 Digital- they sell 320 kbps or m4a's and they always have a few interesting new releases for $5-just bough Nina Persson's (Cardigans) new solo LP "Animal Heart" for a sawbuck...

One Louder likes this.
  10. One Louder

One Louder Well-Known Member

7digital is great for sure. I got my copy of The Who's Live at Leeds Super Deluxe that way and a few months back the latest Queens of the Stone Age for $6. 7digital is good for Jazz too, in the past they've have some classic titles for under $5.

11. Scopitone

It's something they added not long ago. Sadly, over the years I only ever bought a few CDs new from amazon, so I got maybe half a dozen records added to my mp3 library.

My brother, though, got something like 150 albums from all his purchases. It was one of the main decisionmakers for him to start using amazon when he was considering cloud services for his digital collection.

12. Scopitone

I don't think I have ever used 7 Digital. I'll have to check it out. Since everything I buy gets put into both my iTunes Match and Amazon Cloud accounts regardless of source, it doesn't matter where I buy the music.

13. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

U2 - Invisible
    Mark Chesnutt - Lost In The Feeling (Bonus iTunes only track for his Live album)
    Dave Harris Project feat Julian Lennon - Let You Go (A beautiful beautiful ballad which proceeds go to Charity, please check it out)
    Julian Lennon - Through The Picture Window app (Brilliant app, includes full album + acoustic version, 14 music videos, documentary etc)
    Coyote & The Unicorn - 3 singles released by a friend, catchy EDM type music https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/coyote...unicorn/id726343620

14. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I bought the William Onyeabor Luaka Bop comp Who Is William Onyeabor? from iTunes. I don't buy many downloads of full albums. Occasionally I will by a single track if that's all I want.

Walt likes this.
  15. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I grabbed Black Sabbath's 13 when it was the mp3 deal of the day on amazon. Listening to the complete studio albums on Rhapsody & considering getting that from iTunes.

Also got the Beatles Bootlegs in December.

Scopitone likes this.
  16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am 56 years old and I have had internet access for over 20 years. I recently purchased my VERY FIRST lossy compressed song; I am so proud of myself. I bought a song called That's Not My Name by The Ting Tings. I love this song. I might just buy another song someday, but for right now the excitement is a little overwhelming, so I am laying low.

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

In case your not familiar with this song;

Rick H. and wavethatflag like this.
  18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

It is cool, especially if you get the Amazon cloud player app for your phone. One day I found out I have over 1000 songs in the Amazon cloud from past CD purchases. You don't have to be a Prime member.

Scopitone likes this.
  19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Ned Doheny self titled from 1973 for 6.90 on iTunes.

Scopitone likes this.
  20. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Within the last few months:

The Who, Live at Leeds 40th Anniversary (256k AAC, iTunes). Couldn't justify the cost of the box. Sounds great.
    The Band, Live at the Academy of Music 1971 (256k AAC, iTunes). See above.
    Airbag, Greatest Show on Earth (256k AAC, iTunes). Somewhat obscure, would prefer to have on vinyl vs. CD and am still looking. The iTunes download will hold me over.
    Jason Isbell, Southeastern (256m mp3, Amazon). $5 deal of the day. Well worth it.
    Led Zeppelin, IV (256k AAC, iTunes). Wanted to test out the "Mastered for iTunes" business. Sounds fantastic, but I only have a VG- LP to compare to.
    Richard Thompson, Hand of Kindness (256k AAC, iTunes). Drunken purchase. Sounds good.

All in all, while I prefer purchasing music on vinyl or at Redbook specs at a minimum, I'm pretty impressed with the quality of lossy purchases these days.

21. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I buy my lossies at iTunes only. It was a quiet week with only 2 "purchases":
    - U2 - Invisible (Free)
    - Sheila B. Devotion - Spacer (it's actually a Bernard Edwards/Nile Rogers song that sounds more like Chic than Chic itself).

Also ordered 2 cd's (but that's not what this thread is about).

Scopitone likes this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I mostly buy things on iTunes/mp3 when I just want one song, or if it isn't on CD.

Recently, I got a bunch of Yoko Ono pieces that are only downloads or vinyl.
    Then, of course, the Beatles 1963 Bootlegs
    Lone Justice - Go Away Little Boy
    Mr. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore - Was (Not Was)
    and a handful of Sandy Denny bonus tracks

Yost and Scopitone like this.
  23. Scopitone

Exactly. Also sometimes $3.99 deals.

Yes, the artist makes less money. But I will often pull the trigger on something I'm on the fence about -- considering picking up Steve Miller Greatest Hits 2 on amazon for $5 right now, for instance, even though I am not 100% sure I would enjoy it after burning out so hard on it in the 90s'.

So in those cases, they make some money where I wouldn't have given them a nickel for a $10 album.

Thurenity likes this.
  24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Scopitone likes this.
  25. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Bought Butch Walker's Peachtree Battle EP from Amazon last week.

nbakid2000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.