Lost Coltrane Tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mandrake, Sep 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandrake

mandrake New Member Thread Starter

Found this on The Beatles newsgroup. Pretty funny.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Impulse Records, in their continuing quest to find new John Coltrane
    material, have discovered presently unreleased tapes of Trane singing in the shower. The new 28-bit mastered 10-CD package, retailing at $129.99, will be titled "Out of this World and in the Shower with Coltrane". You can hear Trane sing "I'm Just a Gigolo" recorded live in the shower of the Paris
    Hilton. Catch Trane lamenting "What Kind of Fool Am I" in the shower of the
    Stuttgart Marriott.

Perhaps the most amazing find are the five CD's recorded in the showers of
    the Osaka Grand Hotel, Hakata Imperial Hotel, Kobe International Hotel and
    the Tokyo Prince Hotel. In Japan it seems Trane was infatuated with the
    Beatles "Revolver' album which had just been released. On these five CD's,
    Trane sings all of the Revolver material (The extended UK album, not the US
    Capitol version). There is a celestial 45 minute version of "Tomorrow Never
    Knows" sung in the Tokyo Prince Bathroom and a mammoth 90 minute "And Your Bird Can Sing" from both Kobe and Osaka.

There is an incredible ambient reverb throughout the recording. "NO...we did not doctor up these recordings with digital reverb", says Michael Cuscuna. "The shower stall and bathroom acts as a natural reverb plate. That is what gives the "otherworldly" quality to such songs as "Mona Lisa" from the Stockholm Holiday Inn and "Unforgettable" recorded in the Seattle Hilton (and an alternate take recorded in Trane's shower stall in Dix Hills)"

The beautiful packaging contains a 100 page book including the words, to all of the songs and a psychoacoustic history of the bathroom. Instead of the usual Impulse sticker contained on many of the 20-bit remastered reissues, Impulse is including a bar of soap imprinted with the Impulse logo and Trane's engraved face from "A Love Supreme" below that. "Yes...it is a real, pure, 100% natural glycerin bar of soap", states Cuscuna.

It must also be noted that many of these titles were recorded in the field
    by Rudy van Gelder. "That is the clincher...that is what gives this 10-CD
    set its sonic excellence. I believe that these are important recordings in
    the legacy of John Coltrane. Every Coltrane completist will want a copy"
    says Cuscuna.

2. jdw

jdw Senior Member

This story made the rounds of the various jazz mailing lists a few months ago - I saw it on the Miles Davis list serv.

Just to show how "Trane-obsessed" these guys can be, several people were wondering where they could buy it. Even more wanted to start a petition to stop it! But then, it took me a minute to figure out it was a joke, too. I'm always on the lookout for more Trane...

For people wanting a lifetime supply of real Coltrane, there is a 12 CD-R set of rare European radio broadcasts being traded on the Coltrane list right now. It is much more comprehensive than the recent 7 CD legitimate version released by Fantasy...

John
    Vancouver, BC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.