Lost in Space 1st season on DVD released 1/13/04

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by btomarra, Jan 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile Thread Starter

Picked up Lost in Space at Best Buy for $55 (oh..the pain...the pain...). Picture is sharp and clear and clean. Sound is excellent! Each slimline DVD case features a picture of the cast (the Robot, John, Maureen, Major West, Judy, Will, Penny and you guessed it...Dr. Smith!).

The cases are the same thickness as the Honeymooners classic 39.

Brian

2. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

My Costco had it for $49.99. It was in a normal Costco longbox, rather than the larger clear packs used for some box sets.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Yeah, they did a nice job with these discs. Good picture quality.

I had no idea there were 24 (<edit>30 you dumb **** :)) episodes in season 1. Must've cost a lot. I guess that's why all the planets look like a deserted beach and the monsters are of lesser quality than some of my old Halloween costumes.

4. btomarra

Yesman...there are four episodes per the first seven discs and one on disc eight (not counting the unaired pilot). Wouldn't that be more like 29 episodes?

Brian

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Opps! I should've counted before I typed. Yup, 30 total.

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I'll have to try another Costco...there's one near work in Westbury LI.

All the episodes are B&W?

7. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

Oh, Jamie!

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

OK, I haven't received my set yet:)
    Can you please check episode 11 "Wish Upon A star"...Check the scene where the Family is together sitting at the outside table and Professor Robinson approaches and Will asks his father;..."Your not really going to make Dr. Smith leave, are you Dad"? (Something of that nature, as I don't have the VHS tape handy but that was close to the line Will said) :) He replies; "Of course I am"...Will follows up with;..."You know Dr. Smith, He can't **** for himself"!!! I was blown away after hearing this on my TV copy! I wonder if they edited this out for the DVD?

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Yep, the first season was all B&W. I used to go over my best friend's house every week to watch the second season episodes in color!

10. btomarra

Michael,

I'll check that out right now!

Brian

11. btomarra

Michael,

It's there! No bleeps or cut-outs. First I thought Will said "shift." But...you're right. Wonder how that made it past the censors. Unless he meant to say another word.....

insteresting!

Brian

12. Michael

Hey Brian,
    I discovered that little tidbit years ago! In the 80's on my crappy VHS taped off TV! Is that cool or what? He is positively saying the word "****":)
    Back in the 50's & 60's I remember that being a popular saying:) "He can't **** for himself"...Maybe Billy Mumy was thinking that and it just came out! If you look again, watch June Lockhart's face...she seems to be holding back a smile:laugh: I've played that part for many people throughout the years and they've all wound up on the floor laughing hysterically! It's quite funny..Indeed:thumbsup: I'm glad it carried over to the DVD's..It's amazing that no one at CBS caught it after all these years!!! EXCEPT for ME!!!

13. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Well, I went out and bought Green Acres on Tuesday and have been enjoying it very much. I guess now I will have to pick up LIS too after reading some of the posts here and bringing back good childhood memories of this goofy show. I would like to see some more of the classic TV shows come out on DVD like "Gomer Pyle" and maybe "The Munsters" as well. From what I have read these have been selling well, so hopefully they will continue to release more classic TV.

14. Michael

"The Munsters" and "The Addams Family" have been on my DVD wishlist for years! We can only hope! Keep those 60's shows flowing! I'm a happy camper. :thumbsup:

15. Nobby

Nobby Senior Member

When I saw some reruns in the 80's over here (UK), I'm sure there was a villain called "Bollox"?

V. funny to us Brits!

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'd certainly never noticed that before, either originally back in the '60s, nor in syndicated or SciFi Channel reruns, but I'm rolling on the floor now laughing at it. My wife watched with me and picked up on the June Lockhart facial expression. Too funny.

[update] I just played it again, this time turning on the subtitles - it's written there as "He can't shift for himself."

17. Michael

Yup! Rolling on the floor is the usual reaction upon hearing it!:laugh:
    I've played my old VHS copy for many people...Everyone heard ****! Pretty funny:thumbsup:.. The sound and the mouth movement do not go with the word "Shift"...:) Billy must of pulled a fast one back then...Without the option of VHS recorders, etc. it was hard to catch it on real time unless you were listening for it...

18. Michael

Can you believe this? There is a few seconds missing from one of the episodes in the new LIS Box Set! I find this incredible!...I have LIS taped from TBS and the Sci-Fi Channel, The Columbia House Video, etc...ALL included the missing few seconds. Granted, It's not the end of the World:), but...I finally thought we'd get COMPLETE UNCUT Episodes!
    Here's the details...

In "Return From Outer Space" When Will grabs the bottle of Carbon Tetra-Chloride and runs out of the store, the scene that shows Will bumping into the sheriff and the Sheriff says; "Wait a minute...wait a minute..."I thought I left you with Miss Ruth!". On the DVD version the scene omits ..."I thought I left you with Miss Ruth!"...then cuts to the scene outside where the sheriff is looking down at the stolen bottle."

!!!!WHY???

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

"Carbon Tet"! Great episode!

20. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Mike, it MUST be that for that episode, they didnt have a 35mm master. They must have used a work print that had that scene edited out, probably for timing reasons. This happens more than you might think. Does the fiolm quality look a bit more grainy then the others?

21. Michael

Geez, It's on the Columbia House VHS Series! Could this be an edited for syndication print?! Supposedly they used the same source as the Columbia House Series which were UNCUT! Tis not a good thing:rolleyes: This being one of my all time favorite shows of the 60's...We need answers:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.