Lost John Coltrane Recording From 1963 Will Be Released June 29th

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mazzy, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

To be clear, in the post you quoted I was talking about the process of making the commercial reels of Both Directions at Once that will be for sale to the public; I wasn't talking about official master tapes in Impulse's possession...dunno if that was clear or not.

I'm familiar with the story of the 2002 ALS reissue and how the British master was found to be in better condition than the US master, which as you said was not the original master. That is an interesting story for sure. Hoffman has told the story of ABC tossing the original masters in the past here on the forum, what a shame.

2. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

All hail QRP!

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

No idea who QRP are, quick search - Kansas vinyl pressing plant. Fine.
    You missed the irony. Spending $499 on 3rd gen reel to reel tapes from a low speed source.

4. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

I think most, myself included, have high hopes due to the fact that QRP is both pressing this and putting their reputation behind the release. They are very well known and respected throughout this community. Everything I’ve purchased from the QRP/Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds umbrella has been top notch.

Raysdeathmachine likes this.
  5. Raysdeathmachine

Raysdeathmachine Forum Resident

Since QRP is pressing this I would imaging Gary Salstrom will do the lacquer plating. Do we know who is mastering it? (Kevin Gray -- fingers crossed)

6. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I'm a little confused...what's this regarding? I missed some sort of irony?

7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

One of my son's just called me and told me Happy Fathers Day, just ordered you the new unreleased Coltrane deluxe vinyl for your Fathers Day Gift, to be delivered on street. Priceless!

And on top of that, my wife got me the new B & N Buddy Guy exclusive vinyl for FD as well...I am a very fortunate person!

8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

If anyone is still on the fence about getting the deluxe vinyl version of this album, Amazon just lowered it from $32.48 down to $27.79...pretty good deal!

9. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

No offense to you personally, or to anyone else, intended, but I can't imagine why one would be on the fence about this. It's unreleased, mostly unheard, takes of the classic Coltrane quartet in 1963. Every take will be a different performance. Every take will have the effort and focus of master jazz musicians behind it.

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You read this wrong, there are some that were only looking at the regular version and not the deluxe because of cost, does this make sense now? Was just trying to call out this nice price.

Coltrane811 likes this.
  11. Gabe Walters

Not reading you wrong or really even necessarily intending to respond to your specific circumstances. Just expressing some surprise that anyone interested in this wouldn’t be interested in the whole enchilada.

12. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Specific circumstances? What are you talking about? Sorry, but all I did was call out the new lower cost in case some were not aware...I respect your feedback and I feel that same way, but not everyone can spend as much as others.

Coltrane811 likes this.
  13. Gabe Walters

I don't care about your specific circumstances, whatever they are. Really not trying to get into a thing.

14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

There aren't any specific circumstances, just your imagination here. Enough of this...someone calls out a lower price and this happens...

Tommyboy and Admerr like this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Enough indeed! Thank you for pointing out the price drop. I MAY consider going from 1LP to 2 now.

2xUeL and scotti like this.
  16. Gabe Walters

I have nothing to do with whatever happened above, and I apologize to the readers of this forum that I got sucked into it. I have no idea what scotti is talking about, and he claims to have no idea what I'm talking about, so obviously a bad miscommunication between us.

My ONLY point is that if you're excited about unearthed Coltrane Quartet recordings from 1963, and you're debating whether to get the deluxe or the single LP, I don't understand you (the general you!) as a Coltrane fan. And that's ok! It just seems odd to me, is all. This is holy grail stuff.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I thought the only way to get the double vinyl lp version was through vinyl me please.

18. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

VMP is releasing the latest Miles Davis Bootleg Series—I'm guessing that's what you're thinking of?

19. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes you said Amazon lowered the delux vinly version price. When you said delux i assumed you meant the 2 lp vinyl version. I thought only VMP was releasing that. Is amazon also releasing the 2 lp vinyl version? I checked and could not find it.

20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Here's a couple good articles about the bad things that happened to ABC's master tapes and tapes of lots of other labels - neglect/destruction of master tapes. Read and weep stuff.

1997 article:
    http://www.billholland.net/words/Labels Strive to Rectify Past Archival Problems.pdf

2008 discussion:
    Decca Records' 1930s-50s master tapes (in the Universal Studios fire in June)

Galeans and 2xUeL like this.
  21. Gabe Walters

Stu, the 2LP version is getting a wide release. I wasn’t aware VMP is putting it out—is that right? Here’s the Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D51TY57/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_bWAkBbV1FW6NB

22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Currently 120k plays for the Untitled Original 11383 Youtube video posted a few pages back. I am pretty impressed that there are that many listens for unreleased Coltrane in this relatively short time frame, I am smiling :) Coltrane plays a very nice theme that he reintroduces several times, I could see this being on an Impulse album proper at the time.

2xUeL, Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Lonson like this.
  24. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Bottom line is...this many years later and we STILL do not have a confirmation of what was lost that disastrous Sunday morning. (I can still smell that sickening smoke that bellowed over the Hollywood Hills that day! The sickening acrid smell of history going up in flames!!!)

2xUeL likes this.
  25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Just cancelled my order for the 1LP and ordered the 2LP. You guys talked me into it!!!

Raysdeathmachine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.