Lost: Season 2 Discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by grbl, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huh? What does "behind the whole thing" mean?

The only thing that the little scene at the end revealed is that there was a magnetic anomaly which registered on some dudes' computer, who then told Penelope that they think they found it. We don't know what "it" is or why Penelope was looking for "it."

Not very astounding , given how a) vague the reference is and b) how Penelope Widmore was just introduced as a character this episode, with extremely limited screen time in just a few flashbacks.

I still don't see how that was "mind-blowing."

2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The two snow bound "scientists" said something to the effect, "We've missed it AGAIN." So, was the first time the "systems failure" electro-magnetic overload referenced in Desmond's flashback.

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

well, technically she was introduced earlier this year via the photo of her and Desmond.
    I guess that it was as "mind-blowing" in the respect that who would suspect that this minor a character could have such an impact on the plot. I almost thought the ending was another one of those smug beer or vodka commercials.

So many more questions! I didn't realize that Desmond's partner was also the interrogation officer involved with Sayid!

Why did Charlie say to Claire that nothing much happenned in the hatch? Where are Locke and Eko (and Desmond)? If Desmond knew that something does happen if the button is not pushed (even if it was just the violent shaking of the vault), why would he risk not pushing it? What was that big green owl? Do the polar bears have anything to do with the arctic camp?

4. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Well, who knows what the "whole thing" is, but one did get the feeling after last night's episode that there was some kind of master plan.

But like I said, I agree it was not mind blowing.

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

See post #871 !!! :D

6. stereoptic

yes, I saw your post. I didn't realize they were the same person until you pointed it out!

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Desmond wasn't sure exactly what happened when the button wasn't pushed, since, even though he experienced it before (where he finally did get to push the button), it wasn't clear to him what the real issue was. It wasn't until he read the "logs" that Locke gave him that he pieced everything together and realized he HAD to push the button. By that time it was too late, seeing what Locke did to the computer terminal. I agree, that it was stretching the plot a bit where Desmond would be so calm about the button when in his flashback he saw that not pushing it caused "something" to happen.

About Charlie, I can't figure him out. He seems like such a mousy character, yet there also seems something a bit devious about him underneath.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

For a guy who was in a band, he can't play guitar worth snot!

9. stereoptic

I had to laugh when Charlie used that old saw "how does it go?" when Eko asked him "do you know where is the dynamite that they used on the hatch door?"

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Maybe he could only play under the influence? :D

There are probably a ton of real bands out there, we can probably name some, where the "musicians" can't play a lick if their life depended on it. :agree:

11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Actually, I thought the episode was better than last years finale. But it wasn't really what I expected. I'm still trying to figure out how the book "Bad Twin" fits into all of this. And the fake commercials from the Hanso Foundation cloaked as real commercials in the last couple episodes.

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I know. But ever since Eddie And The Cruisers II, I have a problem with badly acted guitar playing! :)

13. grbl

grbl Just Lurking Thread Starter

I thought the finale was ok, not great. Probably enough to keep me hanging on for another season. We did learn a few things, but I still feel frustrated by the amount of unanswered questions and loose ends. I know that this show is designed to keep you hanging on with unanswered questions and mysteries, but I feel like we need a few mind blowing revelations thrown in as well. So far, since the discovery of the hatch, I don't think there have been any really mindblowing revelations. Oh well...maybe next season.

14. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

So did I. :laugh: I swear I almost hit the 30 Second skip on my Tivo, but something told me not too. Maybe Darma worked their mind control voodoo on me. ;)

15. GoldenBoy

That's where I recognised him. I had a feeling I'd seen him before, but couldn't recall where.

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

IIRC, Locke only smashed the monitor but not the hard-drive or the keyboard. If Desmond wanted to, he could have punched in the numbers on the keyboard, pressed 'enter' (or is it 'execute') and assume that the sequence was successful, despite not being able to see what was being typed in on the monitor.

I agree with your observation about Charlie. There's something disturbing about that character (or at least the portrayal). It would not surprise me if he were killed or turned psycho (or both).

17. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Some predictions and observations:

1. Michael and Walt will be back. They will follow the 325 course direction and end up back at the island. Desmond was a more experienced sailor and came back. I guess it is possible that Desmond was directed back to the island because of the magnetic energy that may now be dissipated, but I still think Michael and Walt are not going to successfully boat anywhere. Perhaps, earlier "incidents" with the magnetic force presumably created by Dharma lured the French woman's boat, Echo's brother's plane, Henry Gale's balloon, etc. to the island.

2. Obviously, Jack, Sawyer and Kate are not going to be killed. I think we are going to find out a lot more about the Others early next season. I have a sense that the Others are in competition with Dharma. Maybe the Others really are "good guys" and are trying to undo some of the damage being done by Dharma, which has been luring people to the island for many years. It is also reasonably clear that the Others leave the island regularly. That was an impressive dock and the Others' village was a sham. When they take Jack, Sawyer and Kate to their "home," it might well be off the island.

3. I think that Penelope's father is the creator of the Dharma Foundation, and is the A #1 bad guy. The question is whether Penelope is looking for Desmond or for an island that she knows her father created. Did daddy somehow steer Desmond to the island. Also, did Desmond survive after he turned the key?

4. Echo and Locke survived the explosions and incident. They will be pals again.

5. Desmond's "we're all in a snow globe" comment sticks with me. The people on the island were constantly interacting before getting on the plane. (New revelations in this respect -- Desmond was sailing on Libby's boat; Desmond's first partner in the bunker was the intelligence agent who started Sayid in his career as interrogator; the list just goes on...). There must be some reason why all of these people appear in each other's flashbacks. It can't be simply coincidence. I can't help but think that this may be related to the psychiatric themes -- Dharma was doing psychiatric testing on subjects in the bunkers, the Other's seemed to be studying Walt, etc. Is the island a group delusion of people held in a single facility, like a small Matrix?

6. WTF with the four-toed sandaled foot statue? Was the Colossus of Rhodes actually built near Fiji?

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Be sure to let me know what happens. :D

19. GoldenBoy

:biglaugh:

20. GoldenBoy

Why, are you bailing on it?

21. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I think so. I'm glad you guys are really enjoying it but my patience has run out. I'll just read what happens here.

22. GoldenBoy

Well, I don't know. I think the finale set up some interesting things for next year. I was losing interest myself, but now I'm curious again.

23. stereoptic

Me too. I am mulling a lot of the plot through my head today. For instance, how did Inman paint the map on the blast door by memory? How does Libby fit in (with her $42,000 boat donation to Desmond?) What did Sun puke up over the side of the boat?

At least next season there will be no scheduling frustrations (and no repeats as I understand). Season 2 DVDs will be released in October.

24. GoldenBoy

In answer to at least one of your questions, I think Sun puked up regular old vomit due to morning sickness. She is pregnant after all.

25. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm hoping for a revelation that Libby is somehow affiliated with Widmore, and that her delivering of the boat to Desmond was no coincidence. Michael may have unknowingly shot and killed a mole.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.