Lost, Season 5 Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by CardinalFang, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member Thread Starter

It's obvious seeing Evangeline, Juliette or Yunjin in "real life" that the women on Lost don't wear much make-up (if any). I tend to prefer them without it. :shrug:

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

If the island can cure cancer, and make a paralized man WALK......, I don't see why it couldn't give a man 'same-size stubble', and keep a hefty man hefty!:laugh:

3. vince

Yeah, I, for one, found "Kate-with make-up" rather disturbing!

4. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Based on some of the comments coming out of Comic-con, it appears that Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell) will be back next season, but in a much more limited role - almost like a occasional guest role. :(

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It sounds like many of the deceased characters will make at least one more appearance -- Charlie, Boone, et al. Though I doubt we will see, say, Libby again. One of the producers had a comment about her to the effect of "Surprisingly, if you kill someone off a show, they're not dying to come back and guest star."

6. CardinalFang

'

Well, she DID show up last season.

That said, Libby's character is the one character that a lot of people wanted to see more of. Unfortunately, they just didn't have the time (even though they were happy to bring in Nikki and Paolo).

If Cynthia Watros isn't pissed, she should be.

7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Specifically, she showed up in Season FOUR, for a 5-second cameo. Damon Lindelof has stated recently (in the last couple of months) that they tried in "several episodes" to work her story in, but the actress couldn't (or wouldn't) make herself available.

The character (and, I suppose) the actress got a little screwed, because killing Libby in Season Two was a last-minute decision. They had planned all along to kill Ana Lucia at the end of that season, but with her character being so polarizing, they wanted to kill someone else who the audience would really grieve for. Unfortunately for Cynthia Watros, it was Libby.

It's not really fair to compare her situation with the Nikki and Paulo fiasco, since they were written into the show in Season Three -- completely unconnected with Libby's Season Two situation -- and they too were killed off once the producers realized they had been a bad idea in the first place.

Lindelof finally elaborated on the Libby backstory recently, saying that basically she was depressed after her husband died, she ended up in the hospital with Hurley, it was a coincidence (as much as ANY of the "Lost Crosses" are coincidence), and when she got out she sold her boat to Desmond. Despite having teased for years that she had one more "significant piece" of her story left untold, he now says that her story was "incredibly tangential" to what the show's overall story has become, so unless she gets nostalgic for the show in its last year, I wouldn't expect any Libby appearances in Season Six.

8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

To me it appeared that Evangeline Lilly had had 'plastic surgery' sometime between the beginning of last season's shooting and the end of the season prior to it. I thought I may have been mistaken, for no other reason that Lilly is a naturally, beautiful woman and didn't need anything done, but there was something about her face last season that did not look 'right' to me. I still think that she had some 'work' done.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It may have just been that you saw Kate cleaned up/made up a lot more, so she looked different.

10. vince

Well, if even the 'beautiful girls of "Friends"' could do 'work' to their faces, it wouldn't surprise me.

11. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

To my eyes, her face had that tell-tale slightly 'tight' look that women who have had facelifts/ plastic surgery are left with. It was quite a distinctive change in her looks to me, not attributable to just make-up. It bugged me the whole season.

12. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Gotta bump this only because I read a juicy character related spoiler for next season. It's in the usual place if you know where to look!

13. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

I've loved Lost since the very first episode. But they GOT LOST (pun intended) since they made up a way to move the island away. And with two human arms only. Gobsmacked.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Yes, because until then, practical scientific plausibility had always been the hallmark of the series. ;)

Regards,

15. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

It hasn't been.

But this idea of moving the island from a x point to the limb looked to be sort of off-the-cuff.

The same for the Jacob idea.

I think it's cool to spread the mystery out, but there's been loads of things that featured poor conclusion or none at all.

If you prove me wrong, I'll bow out.

Fiction is one thing, but to making it up and kiss the viewer goodbye is another.

16. Ryan

Wait, the island can move?

17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Claudio, they didn't just make up the idea of the Island moving in space -- how do you think odd things like slave ships and beechcraft airplanes ended up crashing in the middle of the island?

The Jacob character was being set up in the middle of Season Two, referred to in Season Three, revealed (somewhat) in Season Four, and finally seen in Season Five -- so that wasn't off-the-cuff either.

18. tcj

tcj Senior Member

No, they didn't make up that idea. It's been hinted at for a long time, I believe since season 2 if I remember correctly. I recall an interview where they were asked something about the appearance and disappearance of things, or how days and nights seemed to happen rather quickly, and were asked rather pointedly about a theory some viewers had that the island wasn't an island but something that moved. They rather coyly replied something along the lines of "that's a very intriguing idea, isn't it?"

Some parts of the show are "off the cuff." The basic storyline is not. They had a beginning and end, and some parts in between, and filled in around it. You DO realize this is a TV show, not a movie, right? It is, in a way, a living thing. It is dependent on its network, its writers, its audience, etc. It changes in response to how things with each of them go. Lost has been unique, as far as I know, on American TV in that they got a major network to agree to a finite end to a VERY popular show when most networks would want to milk it until it petered out. That said, until they got that ending time secured, they had to fill in some of the time with "pure story." Ben's character was not supposed to be very significant, but they loved Michael Emerson's portrayal and audience reaction was huge, so they figured out a way to make him more important.

I agree that sometimes the show misses the mark. It's kind of the nature of the beast. It's a show that has a massive audience looking for satisfaction in various ways. Some want things settled in very obvious manners, others of us want things to be left more subtly drawn. I take the hammy stuff with a grain of salt and get excited about the stuff they handle really well, which, luckily, there is a lot of. There's very little TV done like this and I'm thankful for what we get. Are there things to niggle about? Of course, but I still find it highly involving, ridiculously enjoyable to watch. I'll be extremely saddened when it's over next year.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

OK, i don't know where to look for it.

20. vince

Nor I! :shake:

21. Ryan

Try the darkUFO site! Although the spoiler is less tantalizing than when I first read about it, IMO. Still, plenty of season six hints up there..

22. CardinalFang

I'm going to TRY and stay away from Lost forums this season and try to just enjoy the ride :)

23. vince

MY hopes for the final season:
    -Walt's importance: i.e. 'maybe he saves the day?'
    -A little more DAHRMA stuff (since we need to see Hanso; his name is important to the Black Rock; a possible Widmore/Hanso connection)
    -Desmond's not done with the island, yet!
    THESE are the stories that DON'T help the show reach it's conclusion, but I'd still like to see these avenues.....

24. vince

gonna check it out.... thanks....

25. Ryan

I'm watching a repeat of the "Par Avion" episode. I wonder if they'll address the bird with the message and how Mikhail knew Locke when he was paralyzed..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.