Lost: The 6th & Final Season Thread (Part 2)-The End*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -Alan, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I have assumed that the ghost of Christian who appeared on the Island to Jack early on was Smokey, but that the ghost of Christian as seen by Jack in the late night deserted hospital when he returned to LA was the real Christian, as seen in the last episode.

2. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I took it to mean that Ben's "realization" of his life showed him he had some issues to work out WITHIN himself before HE was ready for that final journey. He was there, at the final spot, whereas others were not there, so I think he was "invited", but he personally wasnt quite ready till he came to terms with his choices in life.

3. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Earyl in the season, around the time we saw the cork explanation, I had in my mind that the island was the gates of hell on earth. After seeing the Jacob episode near the end, I think it's the gateway to the afterlife on earth. They're not dead, they found though a mystical passageway to the afterlife. Which feeds into the temple, the magic healing water, the statue -over the centuries, civilaztions stumbled upon it and tried to figure it out. Some accepted it and worked with it, others tried to harness it for their gain. The same golden entrance could be your hell or your heaven depending no you, so Man In Black became the embodiemnt of evil. Letting him out of the island into the world would have destroyed mankind. and this is why its eimportant for someone to be the guardian of the island.

4. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Yeah, but in the deserted hospital scene, the smoke alarm goes off, which seems that we're very clearly supposed to infer it's the smoke monster.

Obviously Hurley can speak to the dead, but wasn't the appearance of Charlie outside the mental hospital accompanied with a whiff of black smoke too?

5. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Hmmm....that interpretation makes a lot of sense.

6. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Its NOT Agatha Christie.....

The mysteries were never meant to be solved, they were meant to cause us to think, to ponder, and to have the characters go though a series of events that cause them to awaken and realize not only their flaws, but to bond with each other through the events on the island.

Yes on the outside it "appeared" to be a story about science and people lost on an island, but in reality ALL ALONG they pushed the issue about redemtion, about how your past can make you what you are, and how you can persevere and overcome and change and become worthwhile.

The deeper hidden message was barely even hidden, yet many simply ONLY focused on numbers, Bombs, subs, Dharma initialtive, hatches and so on. That wasnt the STORY. Those were the EVENTS that our characters stumbled upon that finally changed their characters from what they WERE, to what they would BECOME>

7. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Frankly you are missing the point of the show almost completely.

Its similar to The Prisoner. It wasnt about Patrick McGoohan trying to find a way to escape the village, but "appeared to be" on the surface. Its an Allegory. Its a fantasy or fiction that uses a world that is not truly real or truly believable to tell a story about humans and characters and to portray things that couldnt be told in a true reality.

8. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Thats where I have to strongly disagree.

It was a very character driven show from the get go. Why do you thing EVERY episode devoted almost half its time to showing their past? The characters were trying to solve a mystery, not US. In the process of trying to solve the way off the island they developed bonds, hatred, realizations about their past and how their lives were meaningless, UNTIL the story of the island allowed them a new fresh start. The hatch wasnt a mystery at all, but simply a way for locke and jack to express their entirely different faiths, one of science, one of faith. All the plot devices were simply there to build the characters on. Yes it appeared to be a great mystery and that was quite secondary to the real story of the people.

9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is there any way to see that NY Times thing on the web?

10. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm gonna assume it was because no mother is just going to give her two babies away for the sole purpose of dedicating their lives to guarding the island for eternity. They had to be raised, and protected so that one could eventually come forth as the next candidate.

Did you watch the show? The mother tried to stop him from his ultimate goal of leaving the island. He had found another way to the light...along with the people he was living with.

I would imagine the same was Rousseau did. And the same way Rose and Bernard were able to stay out of the way. It's a big island.

Again...did you watch the show? They had found another way to the light, which she was protecting. The MIB specifically explained his plan for harnessing its power to get off the island.

You're assuming that she was the very first protector of the island and the light, when logically it had been going on long before her...and was passed onto her from someone else.

From his mother. It was the exact same ceremony.

Indeed it does.

11. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I disagree with you completely on this. You can take whatever you choose from the show, maybe you can even explain the hidden meaning of the Brady Bunch if you are so inclined, but I find this kind of writing to be dishonest in the end. I fully understand the message at the core of the story, but all the layers pilled on top of that core message appeared to have meaning also and to come to the end and say "none of this stuff mattered" is a cop out of the same level as the X-Files or worse IMHO.

I see this as an alarming trend in todays shows when writers can go off on any tangent that helps them pad out episodes and seasons with no concern of ever having to connect those dots and bring them to any kind of finish that makes sense. To lead a story along for six seasons with incredible detail and then in the end say none of the detail mattered is not thought provoking or edgy, it's just lazy.

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I have a vague recollection of the smoke alarm in the hospital scene, but do not remember the smoke in the Hurley sees the ghost of Charlie scene. I'll take note of that when I watch the re-runs or videos.

Since the beginning of the show there have been many inconsistencies and things that were illogic within the pretense (the internal logic) of the show. I think part of that was due to the fact that the producers, at the beginning of the series at least, may not have had a clear idea of where to go with the show, especially since they did not know the end date of the series. I also think many things were placed in the show merely for the writers or producers or actors own amusement (for example, book titles, characters' names, numbers, etc). As well, I have the suspicion that the producers and writers were amused by the Trekkie like obsession the show garnered, especially on the internet, and played on that by deliberately placing red herrings in the show to befuddle the fans. Some may feel that was cruel. Long ago, I decided that I should just 'go with the flow' and enjoy.

I think many people (probably the most obsessive fans of the minutia of the show through-out the life of the series) have failed to see the forest for the trees and have confused the red herrings and plot devices for what is the true "mythology" of the show. I agree with KevinTomb, [t]he deeper hidden message was barely even hidden". To quote myself from the spoiler-free thread, "[t]o me the premise of the show presented in the finale was there to see all the time".

13. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Watched it again last night and enjoyed it more.....I think cause I accepted it on its own terms rather than my preconceived thoughts.

question: When jack is giving Hurley the water to drink, the stream is filled with mud.
    When Hurely is about to drink it, the water is clear.

14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Answer: no actor is gonna drink muddy water.
    I'd just chalk that up to your basic continuity over site.

15. violarules

violarules Senior Member

I noticed that the first time I saw it. I thought, WTF?!

Plus, he doesn't say an incantation over it, either. That made me think at the time that he was BS'ing Hurley. Or maybe the whole "Protector of the Island" thing is BS, and anyone can do it with or without the proper "initiation".

16. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

From the episode of a couple of weeks ago where Jacob is initiated by his stepmother, all one has to do is agree to the obligation and then drink the water from the stream with the lighted cavern in view and then the predecessor says, "Now you're like me".

I assumed Hurley's water in the bottle was cleaner because the actor refused to drink the real cloudy water from the stream.

17. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

If I recall, I didn't see it either. It was pointed out on a website, maybe even here, the next day, so I could be completely wrong about it. I made the same mental note to watch for it next time too.

18. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Jacob was saying some incantation over the water. Jack didn't. Not that it seems to have made any difference.

As for the nit, couldn't they have filmed the scene so that it wasn't muddy to begin with? It wouldn't have been any more unbelievable than suddenly and conveniently changing.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Looking back, I know I'd rather spend a couple more years with Danielle, than with the people who's life I made miserable!

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I don't recall the incantation Jacob recited with Jack. That's something else I'll have to take note of when I watch it the next time.

And yeah, you would think a simple CGI touch could have made the colour of the water appear consistent. As someone mentioned above - a simple continuity oversight.

21. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I noticed the muddy water too. But then I think I remember Jack filling the bottle with water as it fell into the pool over some rocks. Maybe it was clear at the top, and only became muddy in the lower pool.

22. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Or maybe not - maybe Jack's power as island protector simply cleansed the water prior to Hurley drinking it. Maybe it was intentionally done and just not explained. Not a biggie either way, if you ask me.

23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

The ENTIRE island existance was jacob playing a game with the crash survivors, it was his way of testing them and seeing who would be the most likely one to take over.

The reason nothign was explained was simply because using your imaginations, the island was fictional and only existed to those on the island. It was never meant to be totally real, but simply a test, a place to find out who was who and who would persist through it all and finally be redeemed.

Explaining all of the island mysteries, would make the whole story lose all its magical appeal. The mystery was the appeal, not the answers. They gave so many clues throughout the series, almost saying nothing will be explained.

24. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Can we please put this defense to rest?

The characters devolved into action movie cut-outs long before the series ended. To say it was all about "the real story of the people" is such a joke, since the creators had abandoned realistic characters long ago, around the end of season 2.

And to knock over another straw man that keeps popping up: I doubt that anyone was expecting an answer to every mystery. Just an ending consistent with the internal logic of the show, an ending that acknowledged the complicated universe they had built, a universe that kept things interesting and intriguing through (mostly) six seasons.

Instead, all we got was a hokey good/evil god/devil parable that failed even on its own simplistic terms.

And the dramatic "closure" for all the characters in the finale was nothing more than a maudlin, over-the-top, tear-jerky sophomoric soap opera.

Seriously I am amazed people are defending this turd. What would it have taken to disappoint you?

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i respectfully disagree.

the allure of the entire run of the show waqs the constant asking of questions and setting up mysteries.

every show and every season there was discussion of answers to those questions and solving of those mysteries, with on ongoing "promise" of answers coming at the end.

well, there ended up being a hell of a lot of unanswered questions and unsolved mysteries, which, if i read things correctly, upset quite a few people who were looking forward to those answers and solutions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.